PDA

View Full Version : Repacking esr silencer

Lynch01ex
03-29-2009, 02:56 PM
Hey just wondering if anyone has repacked a esr silencer since its riveted together? Was it a pain getting it apart and putting it back together? what type of packing did you guys use? Or am i better off getting a new silencer?
Thanks Blake

pdxbigfoot
03-29-2009, 03:18 PM
Drill out the rivets, get it apart, re-pack it fairly tight then tap the rivet holes and reassemble with the corresponding button head bolts.
Threading the holes allows you to use button heads for a much cleaner look than the standard hex head sheet metal screws.

Creech52
03-29-2009, 06:01 PM
I have not packed a silencer, but I would have to say drilling out the rivets, and repacking it would be alot better then buying a new silencer.

Depending on how old it is, it make take some extra effort to pull the core out.

On a side note and I dont mean the threadjack but does anyone make a 250R silencer with the circlip holding the core in like the Toomey silencers. I think that wouldnt be a bad idea.

05LSR250R
03-29-2009, 06:45 PM
pdxbigfoot has the right idea. Be sure you dont rivet it back together. The rivets vibrate and work loose over time. Be sure to clean all carbon from the core.

smokinwrench
03-29-2009, 07:08 PM
Just packed my ESR silencer a couple weeks ago. Drilled out rivets, removed old packing installed new FMF packing that I got from Rockymountainatv, then riveted back. Screws would be easier if I packed the silncer all the time but heck it will be a couple years before I do it again.