PDA

View Full Version : Fan Mod

BlaineKaiser450
03-29-2009, 01:00 PM
im sick of my 450 overheating and i know there is a mod that can be done to make the fan run constantly. I searched but couldnt really find anything so how do you do this?

eastside 400
03-29-2009, 01:04 PM
yea, take the wire that goes to the temp sensor on the thermostat housing and ground it.

450R NOOB
03-30-2009, 11:26 AM
Yeah all you have to do is ground it. What i did was I got a piece of 10 gauge wire about 4 inches long (10, 12, or 14 gauge will work) and stripped both ends. Then I stripped a place on the wire from the fan close to the block and soldered the piece of wire to the fan wire. You can pick any place to connect the other side of the wire as long as it is metal. I used a little slot in the frame and it has worked perfectly.

450R NOOB
03-30-2009, 11:32 AM
I decided to type my reply then look at the 4 wheeler. There isn't a wire coming from the fan or anything touching the block. The wire going to the thermostat housing is what you strip and connect the "ground" wire to. Sorry if I confused anyone.

jiffers
03-30-2009, 12:50 PM
the sensor is on the head at the front but if you ground it then it will bring your over heating warning light on as well as the fan

jiff

cmaxx
03-30-2009, 01:58 PM
heres what i did but my temp light doesnt work.

you just take the wire going to the temp sensor and ground it to one of the bolts on the termometer housing.if you guys would like i can go snap some pics.

Sjorge450R
03-30-2009, 03:01 PM
yea if you are goign to do this, make sure you either a) have you key switch still attached. Or B) you have properly removed the key (if you do not do this correctly, the fan will NEVER come on. Either with the wire grounded or normal) To wire the key switch properly, i believe you need to split the black and red together and then the green and white striper together....i think. Search on here first. Its been almost 3 years since i did it.

WilRideAnything
03-30-2009, 07:28 PM
Take a 4" piece of wire. Crimp a male spade terminal on one end and crimp an eyelet on the other. That the bolt out from the coil that has the coil ground going to it and put the eyelet end on there with the coil ground and bolt it back down. Then unplug the wire that goes to the fan switch in the thermostat housing and plug the other end of the jumper wire to it. You have now grounded the fan and it will run all the time and you didn't cut or alter the harness in any way so it can be put back to stock.