PDA

View Full Version : nikon d90 vs. canon 50d

raptoric
03-28-2009, 10:36 PM
been shopping around for a camera lately. these two seem to be
in the same category.

Pappy
03-28-2009, 11:05 PM
Go Canon! The differences in lens prices is more then enough to justify the 50D over the nikon!

kawabunga
03-29-2009, 10:36 AM
Try them both out and see how they feel in your hands. Button layout, menu interface, weight...you're going to be carrying it around a lot, make sure it feels good.

raptoric
03-29-2009, 08:39 PM
Originally posted by Pappy
Go Canon! The differences in lens prices is more then enough to justify the 50D over the nikon!

ive found packages with similiar lens for same price. looking to get those nice crisp pics.
doesnt canon make the lens for nikon anyway?
school the beginner:)

Pappy
03-29-2009, 08:50 PM
Both models can produce great images, its the 12 inches behind the camera that matters most! Those crisp images can come from most digital cameras.....

The 50d offers more mp, is user friendly, and when your ready to step up from kit lenses, the canon line is alot cheaper then nikon. Im a Nikon shooter, but would switch in a second and wouldnt look back. I have shot with the 50d as well.

The Nikon does offer better video capability if your into that.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3638/3396232721_cf2a8d4b21_o.jpg

kawabunga
03-29-2009, 08:54 PM
Originally posted by Pappy
Both models can produce great images, its the 12 inches behind the camera that matters most! Those crisp images can come from most digital cameras.....

The 50d offers more mp, is user friendly, and when your ready to step up from kit lenses, the canon line is alot cheaper then nikon. Im a Nikon shooter, but would switch in a second and wouldnt look back. I have shot with the 50d as well.

The Nikon does offer better video capability if your into that.

Just pure curiosity here, but why would you switch in a heart beat? Don't like your Nikons anymore?

And nice quote from Mr. Adams ;)

Pappy
03-29-2009, 08:57 PM
When you do this for a paycheck, you use the best tool available, any tool that may offer you an advantage. Newer sensor capability, more mp, etc can all lead to one producing something slightly better then even a year old model...brand is really irrelevant these days.

Add to that the cost of replacing lenses if needed....a $400 or more difference on pro glass can help. Canon also offers more variety in pro glass then does nikon and the crop factors on their cameras are a little better as well.

For an amatuer or hobbiest, alot of this doesnt matter....but its good to know.

kawabunga
03-29-2009, 09:03 PM
Very true, but would it be worth it for you to switch now? You've already got all the gear and lenses. Would making the switch actually offset the cost to do it?

Pappy
03-29-2009, 09:07 PM
Originally posted by kawabunga
Very true, but would it be worth it for you to switch now? You've already got all the gear and lenses. Would making the switch actually offset the cost to do it?

I never stated I was switching, but if needed I could and wouldnt be harmed by any loss. Remember, for me this is a business and replacing gear is a non stop endeavor whether it be due to breakage/damage or simply replacement purposes. I havent decided what I will be doing for 2010, lots of things can be brought to market between now and then.

Canon needs to get its top of the line unit working before I switch or consider it:p

kawabunga
03-29-2009, 09:35 PM
I know you didn't say you were going to, I was just asking hypothetically.
I understand where you're coming from too. It's nice that there's good competition in the market so the buyer has choices, but at the same time it can be difficult to make a decision.

Thanks for the insight.