PDA

View Full Version : Cylinder Boring Cost

IcutMetl
03-28-2009, 10:31 PM
I'm looking to have my cylinder bored & honed; want a fair price. I've got a local race engine machine shop around that did a 351 to 393 stroker F150 engine, but would rather have it done by a reputable ATV guy.

I rode hard/fast thru a water spot in a trail, splashed the hell out of my filter, and bogged out the motor- still starts and runs fine, but doesn't seem as smooth & seems to have lost power. I have not checked compression yet, but I'm not going to keep riding if I'm unsure about it. I bought it with an open K&N/Outerwears...that'll teach me to buy a damn airbox.

The guy that I bought it off of said it was .020 over already; I'm not sure about any porting- I don't have the top end off yet. It also has a 38mm PJ & Boyessen RAD valve.

Looks like I can get a .060 or .080 Wiseco piston, bearing, & gasket kit on ebay for $156 shipped.

I don't want to sink a whole lot of money into the motor right now, so I don't want to get real elaborate on a lot of extra work to the stock cylinder. Got a lot of stuff going on right now- if I'm gonna spend money on the 250r, it'll be on suspension first.

Thanks guys!

snacob14
03-28-2009, 11:08 PM
the guy I use has worked and specialized on R's for the last 20 years. He's awesome. He charges me 45 bucks to bore out my cylinder. Just had the topend redone for 190, I dropped off the motor and he handed it back finished
Performance Machine Services out of antonio, mo. I'll get a number in the morning, you can ship it to him if you can't find anyone reputable local.

Honda 250r 001
03-29-2009, 07:37 AM
hey man dont go off borin that cylinder to .60 or .80 right off the bat. then you will loose about 3-5 bores! if its bored at .20. go .30. What you have to do is take the head off and have it measured so you can tell what piston to buy. It costs me 40 bucks to have my cylinder bored and honed. Take that cylinder off and see what size the piston is, then buy ur new one.

05LSR250R
03-29-2009, 08:00 AM
www.rittercycleracing.com been using this guy for years! He knows his ****! Also.....contact C-leigh racing......right here in this forum. Ive heard nothin but really good things about this man! Hes gonna do my next cylinder when that time comes.

OOPS...link is no good! try rcr or something? I can get you the number if you wanna look into them.

96_banshee_96
03-29-2009, 11:35 AM
Costs me $25 for a bore and hone

wilkin250r
03-29-2009, 12:28 PM
You're right that you want it done by a reputable ATV expert. I would trust an automotive shop to do a 4-stroke no problem, but you want somebody experieced with 2-strokes to properly chamfer the ports and relieve the exhaust bridge.

I would suggest you spend a few extra bucks and get the whole package done right. I'm not talking porting or performance, you already said you don't want to spend money on that, but I wouldn't mess around with an ebay piston and garbage. I would send your cylinder to a reputable builder, let HIM get the piston, gaskets, and bearings, and do the bore. That way, you get back a complete kit that you just bolt on and go.

Yeah, especially if you're shipping out to get it bored. Just let the builder put the package together, you'd probably only save about $20 trying to piece-meal it together yourself.

IcutMetl
03-29-2009, 04:11 PM
Thanks for your guys' help. Could you reccomend someone that would treat me right? I just don't want to go too overboard on motor right now- when it's time for motor I'll do it right.

-Justin

LONG-ROD
03-29-2009, 04:41 PM
I sent mine to to Duncan Raceing and it cost me 120 for piston, 50 for top end gaskets, 85 for bore and 2 stage elite hone, 50 for cylinder surfaced, 16.50 for top end bearing, so about 320.00 and another 40 for shipping both ways.

C-LEIGH RACING
03-30-2009, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by 96_banshee_96
Costs me $25 for a bore and hone

Holly crap, $25.00, thats all.
You offer free shipping to go along with that cheap bore price.
Neil