PDA

View Full Version : rekluse finding neutral

atvfreak400
03-28-2009, 03:54 PM
just put a zstart pro in my ltr and just wondering if anyone else was having problems finding neutral while its running thats the only thing other than that a great add on

justen08
03-28-2009, 04:26 PM
what exactly is the reckluse clutch i

zwark
03-28-2009, 11:22 PM
Originally posted by justen08
what exactly is the reckluse clutch i

An automatic clutch.

deathman53
03-29-2009, 12:47 PM
I have some problems finding neutral also, I don't worry about it. I have it set to mid engagement and I set the idle pretty low. I can leave it in gear and it won't move, unless I give it gas. Yours is set on low engagement, right? I'd change it to mid engagement, its not bad to find neutral on it. Or lower your idle rpm, it states in the book, that pilot jet and idle must be spot on for it to work as intended. Mine is somewhat off, for some reason it idles alittle high and if I lower it more, it stalls out. Mid engagement worked for me.

atvfreak400
03-29-2009, 04:01 PM
It looks like I have a medium engagement rpm but not sure what I have for a engagement rate either soft or hard not sure It starts to move about 2500-3000 and I looked through the parts left over and there is 3 steal balls and 3 tc balls I think that it is med hard but not sure

deathman53
03-29-2009, 04:21 PM
no, what you have is the soft engagement. Hard engagement is with all the balls, an extra hard engagement is 24 steel balls and 3 tc balls. The engagement rpm is controlled by the springs or lack of that were installed. Low engagement rpm would be no springs, mid and high is 2 springs, the difference is one spring stays the same and you swap mid and high springs. I have a rekluse pro for a crf450r, it should be very similar to yours. Did you install it yourself?? Another thing I thought about is the condition of your clutch basket. If its like alot of hi-perf stock 4 stroke baskets, its probably grooved, that could cause the plates to not move so well and drag the clutch. I have 27 steel balls, c200ls, c150l4. That would make a mid rpm and hard engagement. I forgot to say, was the clutch play setup right also. IT'S NOT SETUP THE WAY YOU WOULD NORMALLY DO IT.

atvfreak400
03-30-2009, 03:38 AM
I did not install it myself it was a present from my wife but from what I figure and some stuff that I found in the box [ notes from installer ] it is set up med hard, how hard is it to check the adjustment, they did not put new clutch fibers in when the did it so just wondering if a new clutch is needed

deathman53
03-30-2009, 08:33 AM
you check the clutch by checking the "installed gap", there should be 2 peices of wire bent kinda like an s. Remove the clutch cover or quick change cover and those s shaped wire, you try to insert the short end, if you can, you need the thicker clutch metal plate. If you have the thicker one in, you need a new clutch. Also you should be able to move the top metal and fiber some with it being loose. If you need the thicker metal plate, you need a #20 torq to remove the pressure plate and put blue locktite on the bolts when putting them back. I didn't and they backed out, frying the clutch and warping 3 plates. The torque is something like 48 in/lb. To check the clutch free play, start the bike in neutral and rev it to ~5000rpm, now is when you check the free play, you want it be ~ 1/4". If too much, clutch lever won't override and if not enough free play, your clutch will not engage fully and slip. A grooved clutch basket will cause some issues also, delayed engagement, hard to change gears, it always creeps or it can cause some slipping of the clutch. You should have manuals with it, if you don't you can get them here

http://www.rekluse.com/ormanuals.shtml

Some usage of it improperly will cause wearing of the clutch plates, running in too high of gears is the most easy to avoid and most common. If you run in too high of a gear, you may be screaming the motor, but you aren't moving all that much, you are letting the clutch slip. On my crf450r quad, I can start in 3rd gear, it will move and rev normal, but the clutch is "whining", this means that its slipping. Starting in first don't produce this, second won't so bad either. The guy on the phone when I called, said he tells almost everyone, that when installing a rekluse to use their clutch plates or NEW OEM clutch plates. It will work the best and give the longest life.

atvfreak400
03-30-2009, 04:45 PM
thanks I will check that on the weekend when I have time to look at it and I will check to see what setup is in it for sure I no that the thicker plate is in it so hopefully I can get some more time out of the clutch