PDA

View Full Version : blown engine maybe? need help!

gsjeepxr
03-28-2009, 06:52 AM
hey all! i gota 03 400ex. been running great just did the valves last week with jetting. ive had a ticking/knocking noise. rode last night and 5 mins leter it just completly lost power and the knocking noise got louder. i turned it off and it started back up but when i was limping home it just quit completly. wont start now just sounds like its turning over freely.
does this sound like i maybe broke a wrist pin, burnt piston, broke cam chain, maybe electrical.(i wish rite) the bike ran great with no smoke. whats some things to look for to dianose?

n811
03-28-2009, 07:33 AM
Do you have compression?

gsjeepxr
03-28-2009, 09:24 AM
not sure as it happened lastnite and ive not gotten out to it.. it dosent sound like it has comp, just turns over freely and smoothly. i dont have a tester, can i just put my finger over the spark plug hole or is there a easy method of finding out.
the cdi box wouldnt make it act that way would it? doubt it. how much of a pain is it to rebuild the top end, im not worried bout moding it. im fine with it stock. or would i be better off with a hot cam & a higher performance piston. just dont wanna have to replace valves and all that if thier ok. if i pull the valve cover should i be able to tell damage to them just by looking. will the head come off with the valves and everything or do i gota remove vavle cover first?

gsjeepxr
03-28-2009, 10:24 AM
i have good suction at the carb, is that a good sign? dayum i hope she aint fried. it was running so good and no smoke.

sprayedgt
03-28-2009, 10:35 AM
Check to make sure your spark plug didn't back out. I've seen it happen before. You have to remove the valve cover to get the head off.

gsjeepxr
03-28-2009, 05:10 PM
yea plugs tight i noticed it was black so i cleaned it up and it tried to fire but just turns over like it has no spark. i put it to the frame and got spark but it didnt seem like much. idid the same thing with my sons 125 and it had alot faster and stronger spark. mine seemed to sparks sideways and not straight across. can a coil be weak? would a cdi cause this? i greatly appriciate all the help. i cant afford labor charges so i gotta figure it myself.

Which 450?
03-28-2009, 07:01 PM
Where are you located in MD? I work on atv's and dirtbikes on the sides. I am a heavy equipment mechanic by trade. I can help you out, or do the work if you want. I will cut you a good deal, especially if you do some of the work before hand, such as removing the plastics.

Sanddraging28
03-28-2009, 08:37 PM
the knocking sound is really not good. that might be a crank, rod or wristpin problem. there is a chance that you blew a head gasket also. to get the head off you need to to remove the valve cover and take the cam out. i have never seen a cdi cause these kind of symptoms....if you tear it down and decide to rebuild the top end i would look into a 11 to 1 piston and a stage 2 cam.....that will make a big difference