PDA

View Full Version : Wow! swingarm bolt

Zeb400EX
03-28-2009, 03:32 AM
I blew out my pivot bearings the other day. No really the bearing were completely gone on the left side. I didn't know it til after I just finished practice at the local mx track. So my swingarm was trashed. But fortunately I have a buddy's ex I am parting out for him. So I have an extra swingarm. My ex's bolt came out no sweat, but my buddy's ex was a different story. I didn't think it was ever coming out. I had to cut the bolt into 4 pieces just to get it out. I've seen some guys putting grease zerks in the swingarm, but I don't see how the grease is going to get to the need bearing because the bearing are in their own cage. It just doesn't seem there is enough room in between the needle bearings and the swingarm to get grease inside the bearings. I am also definitely putting some anti-seize on the new pivot bolt!

bigredisb
03-28-2009, 07:29 AM
I use my swinger bolt as a grease reservoir to simply prevent seizing between the bolt and the inside sleeve of my bearings. To grease the needles some drill and install zerks into the swing arm and drill a small hole in the outer sleeve of the bearing to allow grease to flow in. I havent had a lube problem of the bearings but I was mostly concerned with the bolt seizing.
About once a month I loosen my swinger bolt, grease the bolt (I made my bolt have a zerk and a plug so its no longer open its a grease reservoir) and rotate the bolt. Some say the seizing is from the bolt bending?