PDA

View Full Version : Is there a way to put a crank in w/out the special tool?

96_banshee_96
03-27-2009, 07:06 PM
Is there a way to drop my crank in without using the crank pulling/push tool?

smokinwrench
03-27-2009, 11:24 PM
Yes, I always use a peice of pipe or old bearings to go around the crank then put a thick washer on crank bolt and pull it in with it, usually have to added spacers before its in all the way.

BKex
03-28-2009, 06:43 AM
The way i did it If i remember right was first I put my crank bearing in the freezer for awhile and then installed it in the case. Then put the case in the oven and the crank in the freezer. From the expanding and contraction of the metal the crank drops right in.

woodsracer144
03-28-2009, 08:56 AM
Originally posted by BKex
The way i did it If i remember right was first I put my crank bearing in the freezer for awhile and then installed it in the case. Then put the case in the oven and the crank in the freezer. From the expanding and contraction of the metal the crank drops right in.

haha sounds like your baking up a 250r motor! lol

we use the spacer idea and washers on the 450r we rebuilt...

what does the special tool look like?

96_banshee_96
03-28-2009, 12:01 PM
Im not 100% sure what the tool looks like. I had a guy I work with at the dealership tell me there is a special tool they use for pulling the cranks back in.

Im not realy understanding your guys way of using washers and old bearings. I have the old bearings so could you guys explain it more in detail please?

I have the crank in the freezer right now. How long and what degree do I put the cases in the oven? Do I put both cases in the oven?

Thanks guys

96_banshee_96
Im not 100% sure what the tool looks like. I had a guy I work with at the dealership tell me there is a special tool they use for pulling the cranks back in.

Im not realy understanding your guys way of using washers and old bearings. I have the old bearings so could you guys explain it more in detail please?

I have the crank in the freezer right now. How long and what degree do I put the cases in the oven? Do I put both cases in the oven?

Thanks guys

C-LEIGH RACING
I use a Wagner hot air gun to heat the case & just put the bearing in a cool or cold place.
I'll heat the case around the bearing area getting the whole case hot enough you cant touch either end without a glove on & then just drop the bearing in place.
Once thats done, I'll cool the crank just like I did the bearing & start heating the case again to get that bearing hot & then the ol crank will fall right through the bearing.
When the cranks in the case, I'll then sit it up on something laying on its side so the weight of the crank is pushing down holding bearing & crank in place.
Easy as pie.
The case in the oven trick will work just as well, that is long as mom or wifey dont find out.
Wemon folk have a tendency to get bent out of shape when you go messing with their cooking stuff.
Neil

96_banshee_96
03-28-2009, 12:08 PM
Hahaha. Yea they do get bent out of shape. I only do it to the left side correct?

Honda 250r 001
03-28-2009, 12:54 PM
what i would do is put the bearing in the freezer and warm up the RIGHT side case up by puttin it in the sun or with a little hand held tortch. NOT TO HOT!!!! cant stress that enough. and then push the bearing in the case. Do the same for the left side case. Have the crank in the freezer while your doing this. then put the crank in the right side and put the left side cover on. and it should drop right on if it doesnt use a soft mallet to tap it on. Make sure you put the gasket in! i almost forgot to put it in once.

96_banshee_96
03-28-2009, 04:58 PM
I heat the left crank bearing up with a heat gun. Took the crank out of the freezer, I left it in over night. Took away heat and droped the crank in the left side. Droped right in. The trans was a bit of a pain but I think I have it right.

Thanks for the help fellas.

05LSR250R
03-28-2009, 05:11 PM
Glad to hear that!

C-LEIGH RACING
03-29-2009, 08:04 AM
Remember this, sometimes when you put metal stuff in the freezer, it will collect ice on the outside because of moisture around the bearing before you put it in the freezer & then you get ready to drop it in & it wont fit cause of the ice.

That happened one time when I was installing a cylinder sleeve & it stuck about half way down, I had a mell of a hess after that.
Neil

jersey flip
03-30-2009, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by 96_banshee_96
Is there a way to drop my crank in without using the crank pulling/push tool?

put the crank in the freezer. put you new bearing in the left case. without the seal.
use a heat gun and heat the new bearing until the oem grease looks like its boilong. slide the frozen crank in the LEFT side case. it should slide all the way in without any force. hold it tight against the bearing until they match temps. any q's pm me good luck

96_banshee_96
03-31-2009, 08:22 AM
Originally posted by jersey flip
put the crank in the freezer. put you new bearing in the left case. without the seal.
use a heat gun and heat the new bearing until the oem grease looks like its boilong. slide the frozen crank in the LEFT side case. it should slide all the way in without any force. hold it tight against the bearing until they match temps. any q's pm me good luck

This is the method I used Works like a charm:D