PDA

View Full Version : have you check your frame wheelbase??

florentino
03-27-2009, 10:24 AM
mine is like 1/4 of a inch out of whack.. its does ride good .. and you cant really tell .. give it a try its free ..

TNT
03-27-2009, 11:19 AM
How are you taking your measurments? I would think the tooling holes on the assembly jig they located it by were through the swing arm and a-arm holes. Take all dimensions in all directions from there. Hard to do and be with in +/- 1/4 with a laser.

Outagas they determined had a bent frame after alot checking BRP agreed. Last I heard he was still waitng for a frame and mad as wart hog in heat. :grr:

ds450racer
03-27-2009, 02:10 PM
a 1/4 inch could just be the bushes in the a arms/ swing arm or back axle. they could make a 1/4 inch easily.

florentino
03-28-2009, 12:06 AM
let me know if your frames are good .. i will put some pic later

Justwin
03-28-2009, 03:04 AM
a 1/4 inch could just be the bushes in the a arms/ swing arm or back axle. they could make a 1/4 inch easily.

You would have major issues if you had 1/4" of difference due to bushes!

The fact is the frames are not perfectly symmetrical - if you measure the steering angle you'll notice it steers tighter to one side than the other too.

Manufacturing tolerances I would imagine it'll be put down to if as TNT says you can even pick a datum to measure from accurately.

TNT
03-28-2009, 05:48 AM
[i]Manufacturing tolerances I would imagine it'll be put down to if as TNT says you can even pick a datum to measure from accurately. [/B]

Exactly! I'm designing some aircraft extrusions like the frame has right now and we usually draw, buy, cut their lengths to +/- .030 overall(both sides), we machine everything to +/- .010, install and locate to +.030, assemble to +/-.030 on our Engineering drawing's. The tooling Engineer's use 1/3 of the design tolerance to build in our datums in the tool. Stack it all up and as you see tolerances can accumulate and aluminum has a high expansion and contraction, so if they don't jig it a shop temp of 70 deg when they take it out of the jig it can stretch. We see alot of this in the aircraft you all fly around in, it's not uncommon and difficult to battle at times.

Bombardia is no newcomer to this kind of design and build technology. I'm not sure of the tolerances they use on quads but it'pretty tough controlling it all.

outtagas
03-28-2009, 09:28 AM
still mad as a wart hog in heat!

my frame issue is:
http://i562.photobucket.com/albums/ss61/outagas2009/rightsideds450mx.jpg

and
http://i562.photobucket.com/albums/ss61/outagas2009/leftsideds450mx.jpg

the right side is approx 21 mm
the left side is approx 26 mm

the frame was assembled incorrectly at the BRP factory - my quad only has 5 hrs on it and has not been hurt in any way.

You really can just check your 2009 sd450 x mx quickly by just putting your finger down in this area and check this clearance - my quad is that easy to feel you dont even need a guage.

i checked one other ds and it was good - hey its easy to check and who knows maybe more than one like mine left the factory like this. mm in here make a difference out at the front tires, and it is a safety issue for me - i can feel it going off the face of a jump.

TNT
03-28-2009, 10:38 AM
Sorry I have to convert to inches, .197. So we have a frame that has been built to better than .25, less than .2. Tell me how many auto frames or other quad frames on the market hold tighter tolerances on a frame of this magnitude, square to world? What exact problem is this causing that can not be adjusted out? Heck most of the time I can't aligh my front end to +/- .197(5mm).

Guess next year BRP needs a pin locator on their jig there. Master gage it so theres no diviations from quad to quad. Look not everything gets located to by jig pins to +- 1mm, it's too expensive to the end user like us, it's not an aircraft people pay $15-300, 000,000 for, we pay $9,300 big difference! I'm not trying to take away from your gripe but lets put things into perspective.

I had our toe out on the right side by .125 last weekend and my son said it was pulling to the right on jump faces. So adjust it out.

Only thing this is going to do is place one tire further outboard .197, heck the tolerance thread on tires and many other things can do that from the frame arm bolt out to the edge of the tire. If the rest of the front end were set perfectly that alone would not cause the quad to pull to one side, more than likely it's in your front end alignment. In all theory since the distance away from the tire to the center of steering stem is larger you would feel more moment arm reaction at the bars on one side, more upward force on one side handle bars than the other thats it, and it's so small in this case it negligable.

Take any quad and measure all four tire widths(center of frame to the outside tire, Id be surprised if they all read less than .197 differences. No quad is perfectly square.

outtagas
03-28-2009, 12:34 PM
my quad does pull going off the face of jumps and the alignment is set properly - i triple check with my 2007 ltr 450 and my new yfz450r, just to make sure. this is not adjustable like correcting toe. if your son can feel .125 off in toe than i am positive he can feel this going off a jump and landing, one front tire will hit the ground before the other, its that far off at the tires.

TNT
03-28-2009, 12:51 PM
Tell me a few things. How do you adjust your front end? Tape measure, angle finder? Also do both of your front tires on other quads always hit at the same time? What does it do on the lip, pull? which way?

So has BRP agreed are you getting a new frame? When?

TNT
03-28-2009, 01:17 PM
Forget it, I got home from work in front of the quad and can see what your saying. I can't believe they casted all that into one piece and yes if it's mislocated it can throw the whole front out bad. Mines dead on thank God!

I would not even try and fix that without a jig.

outtagas
03-28-2009, 01:47 PM
thats all i really wanted was to tell people who have a 2009 ds 450 x mx just to check this area out - i spent hours and hours on the front end on this before i discovered the problem. this is just a quick check.

X400EX
03-28-2009, 05:15 PM
Mine is right on spot too, thanks outagas for the info.