PDA

View Full Version : need a little help adjusting fox float shocks

rmuscle
03-26-2009, 03:45 PM
we ave the new fox floats on our 70 . my first question is should i have equal air pressue in the front shocks as the rear shock. still not sure if i get the whole jist of the rebound and compression thing . if there is a simple way to explain it to me that would be great. and the last thing is i know comfortability for the rider is important but ultimatley what is the main goal i am trying to acheive , if that makes any sense.

thanks in advance
Ron

jerkyboy
03-26-2009, 05:16 PM
Dont have any info on the rear shock but the air in the front
shocks set ride hieght. The knob on the rezzy controls compresion. the knob ant the bottom of the shock controls rebound. (how fast the shock rebounds). feedback from the rider is what is needed to help set up the suspension.

rmuscle
03-28-2009, 07:56 AM
wow i guess no one uses these shocks , maybe i should have gone a different route. if anybody has any info on a good starting point it would be great. rider is about 75 pounds , so im looking for a good starting point for air pressure at least. someone has to have some info.

jerkyboy
03-28-2009, 01:59 PM
Start with 50psi on the fronts. The air presure is like setting
the preload on a spring shock, It basicaly sets the ride height.
And for the rebound and compression just set them in the
middle position and go from there. We fun a fox podium in the rear. I have a friend that tried a air shock in the rear with
no luck he actually blew out 2 of them.

rmuscle
03-28-2009, 02:23 PM
Thanks for info. Now with the rebound should the fronts rebound faster then the rear

EthansDad
03-28-2009, 02:33 PM
We've been running the fox on our riders DRR 50 and like them. they have soaked up more than their share of rider mistakes.

For tuning, you need a happy starting place, and then can start dialing it in from there. the biggest initial setup is the air pressure, which sets the ride high/shock preload. that will depend on your riders weight. Check the manual, but I think you are aiming for about an inch of sag. sag is the difference in ride height with the bike on the ground (no rider) and with rider on. that might vary front to rear, but on ours it ended up about the same. not mesuring shock hight, but ride hight. just pick a place on the wheel and fenders you can mark with tape for measurement with a tape measure with and w/o rider.

For the rebound/compression, leave them in default. I would first turn them all the way right, counting the clicks, then back to where they were. write this down as your starting point in case you get too far off center in your tuning.

The next big adjustment in my book is flight stability. if your rider is jumping, they should fly and land relatively level. if they are nosing up or down, you should tune that in. likely a lot of ways to do this, but I just mess with rear rebound. if its nose down, then I make the rebound slower. if its nose up, then speed up rebound (speed up can = firmer on some. same thing).

that will get you to about 80%. from there, its really track specific and rider style. and if you figure all that out, let me know!

-EA

rmuscle
03-28-2009, 02:50 PM
Awesome that was the kinda info I was looking for. Thank you

Ron

jerkyboy
03-28-2009, 04:04 PM
It would take way too long for me to type all that.

JIM GRACE
04-01-2009, 06:15 PM
jerkyboy, i sent you a pm.