PDA

View Full Version : 400EX Pilot Circuit ?

QuadMatt
12-29-2002, 02:01 AM
Prelude: "So, my question is, How many times can the screw be turned out before you must go to the next pilot jet size."

As I understand it, the pilot jet and pilot mixture screw effect air/fuel mixture up to 1/8 throttle. Also, I think the stock pilot jet is a 38. I have seen on hear that some dudes run a larger pilot jet. I have installed the Dynojet kit and followed their instructions. I did the main and needle, and turned the screw out 3.5 turns out per the included instructions.

Now, i wish to make 1/8 throttle more rich. So, i figure, since i turned the screw out 3.5 turns, then that's the max. So, i must have to go to a larger pilot jet.

I called Dynojet and asked if they had pilot jets. The guy says "no". They do not offer them. He asks why i want to change the pilot jet. He says i should be able to make the correct adjustment using the screw.

On this site there is an article.

http://www.exriders.com/jetting/jetting.shtml

Here it states that the max to turn the screw is 2.5 turns.

So, my question is, How many times can the screw be turned out before you must go to the next pilot jet size.

Thanks for any knowledgeable responses.

powerslider
12-29-2002, 05:35 AM
usually the range of adjustment is from 1 to 3 turns out, if you need to run more than 3 1/2 then go larger on the pilot. I'm running a 42 pilot at 2 1/2 turns out on a stock motor, that eliminated the cold bloodness, it runs fine now. You can get the pilot from the dealer for a few dollars.

crashinmatt
12-29-2002, 10:15 AM
when i was changin the jettin on mine, i was told that anything more than 3 turns go up in the pilot and turn the screw back to like 1-1 1/2 out. then mess with it. u can get the jet from either ur local dealership, or call up Carb Parts Warehouse (216) 524-1599. they r great help with jetting and have just about every jet known.