PDA

View Full Version : qouple questons on the pink wire

hotshotgoal30
03-25-2009, 07:43 PM
alright i know there are a few other threads but i have some strict questions. i already took my baffle out. mostly just for sound purposes. i have been leery on cutting the wire for a couple reasons. one because it goes against my morals to be cutting wires on a brand new bike. lol and two because i dont want to cause any damage at all. so with that said if i tke off my air box cover and cut this wire am i safe? running to lean or to rich? also does anyone have pics of where this wire is and how to easily get to it if iv never taken the plastics off. they appear to be a *****. i also heard you can access the wire under the seat? my plan is to buy a rossier pipe in the next month or 2 as i was wanting a dasa but they dont make one so rossier is the next best bet i guess. am i better off getting the fuel controller? is it safer? if so which one is better if any.

TNT
03-26-2009, 06:10 AM
You'll be fine, the pink wire cut is there from the factory so you can add a pipe without needing a controller. The MAP will adjust how well depending on where you live. I know here in the midwest I was running lean and hot pink cut stock pipe since that stock pipe is terrible at back pressure. You could wait to get your Rossier(good pipe btw), then you shouldn't run lean. Just watch your exhause color and fan see how ofen it comes on if so you can go to the dealer for more fuel, BUDDs has limited ability. Pink wire you have to take the front plastic off it's under some blue tape, was lets see left side I think if I remember right?

Fuel controller are pretty much all the same, main purpose is the tune or interface to get different MAPS in the ECU, some offer more tuning increments than others, like at 10 % throttle(PC3), 5% throttle(PC5), others have built in on the fly MAPs, you can change to at the track, but sincerely the PC5 w/the O2 sensor is the best product on the market and well worth the wait in a month or two if your not racing or in dire need.

Good for you for being conservative, your right in making sure your engine temp is tuned correctly for long engine live.

hotshotgoal30
03-26-2009, 06:47 AM
thanks for the info. yeah thats my biggest concern is engine life. this was a huge expense for me only being 20 years old and i plan on having it around for awhile, i just want to make it last especially because i got 5 years of payments on it. the thing that had me scared was that if it was running out of tune im not sure i would know it unless it was running like crap. i must admit when it comes to fuel managment i dont know much about the insides of the fuel system and efi so thats why i wanted to make sure i wasnt going to potentially damage something or potentially prematurly wear out my motor.

hotshotgoal30
03-26-2009, 05:10 PM
can someone help me out. i have half the machine torn apart. is this wire underneath the black wrap pr electrical tape or is it by itself? is it up by the motor or more towards the back?

dbkbushwacker
03-26-2009, 05:31 PM
here

hotshotgoal30
03-26-2009, 06:32 PM
alright i cut it. now im concerned though. when i turn the key on let the fuel pump run and then shut the key off there is like a crackling noise coming from under the seat the fuel pump after i shut it off. its not really noticable unless you have your ear down on the side of the machine. but it wasnt there before i know that anyone know?

hotshotgoal30
03-26-2009, 06:58 PM
well i might as well give you guys a write up on what i think about the pink wire mod. i only drove it up and down the street a few times and right away i could tell a difference in low end power. i didnt even have to try and the front end came up first and second no problem and thats while i was sitting becuase i usually wheelie standing up. i dont want to say i lost top end but i didnt feel that jerk( what i always said feels like a powerband on a dirtbike) that i used too as much. it felt more smooth throughtout the bottom of a gear to the top of a gear. also it aounds real throaty because of the airbox being off. so what do you guys think? does this sound about right? did you have similar outcomes?

also do you think it should drill holes for now in the airbox cover? i dont really want to leave it off its kind of muddy this time of year. will drilling holes allow enough air?

crixal
03-26-2009, 07:04 PM
ya, mine was the same way. my fuel pump seemed like it would prime longer than it did before. the throttle response is a lot better and gets even better w/ a pipe & intake. i thought mine pulled longer on top than it did before. i was scared to cut mine at first, but i rode it 4-5 good rides w/ it cut and had no problems.

hotshotgoal30
03-26-2009, 07:13 PM
im just worried about the noise the fuel pump makes now. it kinda sonds like a drop of water on a hot exhaust is the best way i can descuribe it. and it happens after i turn the key off

TNT
03-27-2009, 05:42 AM
I can't think of anything that would cause a cracking noise from a pink wire cut. All it did was remap the ECU to deliver a different fuel curve, that may have caused the fuel pump to sustain longer by the ECU to keep the regulated pressure in the system. Fuel pump demand will increase w/bigger air and injectors mods on the pump and most run the stock one. Leads me to believe that perhaps you coincidently got some air in your system and your pump is taking longer to depressurize producing a gurgling sound or your pump is going out(probably not since it's a 09), but if does do a warrantee claim. Give it time if it's just air in the pump it will eventually purge out.

hotshotgoal30
03-27-2009, 06:30 AM
let me correct what i said. its not the fuel pump making the noise. when i turn the key off this thing makes a crackling noise. kinda sounds like a sparkler when its dying out. i dunno how to describe it. but i know its this thing whatever it is because i can put my finger on it and feel it when its making the noise

TNT
03-27-2009, 06:53 AM
My eyes aren't that great and thats a small pic are you pointing at your throttle body? That area where that unit is. Let me know I'll check into tonight and let you know whats going on.

hotshotgoal30
03-27-2009, 07:02 AM
im sorry i dont know how to crop pictures and i tryed to put the original but it was to big. this may be the throttle body. im not sure. its connected to the tube that goes into the air box. basically if you take the seat off its right behind the coolant resevor

hotshotgoal30
03-27-2009, 07:08 AM
more pics

hotshotgoal30
03-27-2009, 07:09 AM
another

TNT
03-27-2009, 04:20 PM
Thats your Throttle Position Sensor, it controls all the engine parameters to the ECU(computer)....the one part of the EFI you don't want to mess with, don't touch it!...lol! Its also the second most expensive part to replace outside of the ECU.

I'm not sure whats up with the noise( I don't have mine together to tell you if it's normal) but the bottom line unless you are experiencing poor engine performance or idle speed, or your engine stops upon deceleration, which it sounds like your not don't worry about it for now. If it develops into one of those malfunctions, or you ever removed it, or it's loose, or removed the sensor in your filter box, or the throttle body it is bolted to, then take it to the dealer so they can recalibrate it to the butterfly valve in the throttle body through BUDDS software.

hotshotgoal30
03-27-2009, 04:29 PM
actually its funny u say that. today i was riding up and down the street fast. i went to turn into the driveway and it just shut off. it started right back up. weird i thought but since it started back up i wasnt concerned. im planning on going to do some actual riding this weekend so i guess ill see what happens

TNT
03-27-2009, 04:39 PM
If I remember right you run in a lot of snow and moisture, water can take your sensors and grounds to open circuits and cause weird things to happen....You might go get some dielectric grease at the auto store and take off all your connectors, grounds(case/battery) and spray them periodically..it will keep water out, do your ECU and all the sensors, fuses, all electrical connections, first and if it still acts weird do the throttle position sensor carefully, make sure the two screws are tight and if its loose now walla theres your problem, then pull the connector and spray it too.

Dont think this had anything to do w/cutting the pink just coincidence!

hotshotgoal30
03-27-2009, 05:27 PM
yeah i dunno. lol could be. makes me nervous. well im still under warranty anyways. but i apprecaite all your help. im going to run it this weekend see what happens and ill get back to let you know

Foxstar45
03-28-2009, 10:55 AM
I don't know for sure, but I think that you voided the engine warranty when you cut the pink wire.

TNT
03-28-2009, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by Foxstar45
I don't know for sure, but I think that you voided the engine warranty when you cut the pink wire.

Doesn't say that in the owners manual. :D

hotshotgoal30
03-28-2009, 12:19 PM
i doubt it. my dealership doesnt know anything about it. they are dumb as rocks. plus the factory are the ones who put the wire on there for a reason. im not worried about my warranty if i have to ill reconnect it

Justwin
03-28-2009, 12:51 PM
If it develops into one of those malfunctions, or you ever removed it, or it's loose, or removed the sensor in your filter box, or the throttle body it is bolted to, then take it to the dealer so they can recalibrate it to the butterfly valve in the throttle body through BUDDS software.

I know that this is best practice but I have had my throttle body off a load of times and when I reconnect it it never needs recalibrated - I have BUDDS and do check but it always still reads 0 degrees i.e. perfectly in calibration... At worst it will be 1 or 2 deg out and unless you are looking for ultimate performance it's not a big issue.

That said there isn't really any call to ever unplug it - you can even get the engine out with the throttle body in situe.

On a side note - as far as I am aware there is absolutely no parameter for adjusting the fuelling on BUDDS - I'll check this on the latest version which I haven't installed yet.

The only place that I have had an intermittent connection to date is at the key switch.

The pressure sensor in the airbox can be unplugged at any time without consequence - make sure that it dosen't get 'mechanically' blocked with dirt or oil because it will cause erratic running and does not show up on BUDDS.

TNT
03-28-2009, 03:00 PM
Well that’s all good to know, these shop manuals can be rather conservative at times. I was thinking last night, you got to be kidding me I can’t unplug my AAPTS or take my TB out without repercussions, didn’t make sense. Then you got the guys that run no air box put the AAPTS out anywhere to be exposed to the elements, I always questioned that it plays to vital of role in this system. My dealer said he can make fuel adjustments for altitude in BUDDS, never seen it just took his word.

Actually more I look at the pics I think he is pointing to his Idle Air Control Valve.

I don't have my quad here so hard to tell from pics.

hotshotgoal30
04-09-2009, 05:44 PM
has anyone had any problems ith having the airbox cover off so far? im going to pennsylvania this weekend to do some riding and its supposed to rain tommarow which means it will probably be some what wet. any problems with water? is it pretty hard to get in there or what? what about trailering it in the rain? will the box get some water in it? i just have the stock filter with stock pre filter

crixal
04-09-2009, 05:52 PM
i ride a lot of muddy conditions & sand and never really get any dirt in the air box. you'll be fine.

ProspectorJim
04-09-2009, 06:45 PM
Originally posted by hotshotgoal30
has anyone had any problems ith having the airbox cover off so far? im going to pennsylvania this weekend to do some riding and its supposed to rain tommarow which means it will probably be some what wet. any problems with water? is it pretty hard to get in there or what? what about trailering it in the rain? will the box get some water in it? i just have the stock filter with stock pre filter

The only time I got water in there is when I pressure wash it and forget to put the cover back on.

hotshotgoal30
04-11-2009, 08:58 PM
does anyone know if having the wire cut voids warranty? i mean the factory put it there so. i just rode the machine all day today and something doesnt sound right with the motor. i mean nothing serious but i can tell. it runs fine but something isnt right sounding. my buddys say it sounds fine but obviously they dont ride it so they wouldnt know so id like to take it in and have the valves adjusted and see if they can hear what im talking about but i dont want them asking questions about the wire and air box being open

TNT
04-12-2009, 05:06 PM
Read the waranty exclusions in your users guide. :D

Just don't mention the word, 'race'!!:rolleyes: