PDA

View Full Version : Steering Stem Problems

suzukiracer3
03-25-2009, 04:55 PM
Whats up everyone. I just put on a walsh stem, and the buddy I bought the bike from had an after market steering stem clamp with a grease fitting. When I turned the bars left to right they were very stiff, and it does not have a steering dampner. So I went and bought a stock steering clamp. But it is still stiff turning left and right. Does anyone know what I can do to make it lighter turning. It feels like I have a dampner on it(I dont), but I dont want that feel. Thank you .

rdj450
03-25-2009, 06:22 PM
if u loosen up the stem clamp does it get easier. if not it might be the stem bearing. if it does get easier that stem may require a different stem bushing or clamp or both. another idea that might work is to shim the clamp mount bolts so that clamp wont be so tight that is as long as the lower bearing is good.

suzukiracer3
03-27-2009, 05:23 AM
thank you. i took up the steering clamp, and it felt perfect. So what I did was grind the powdercoating on the steering stem. Usually the powdercoaters leave that inch or two, but my guy didnt :mad: . Now it is right where I want it to be. Thanks

hendershot106
03-27-2009, 10:09 AM
i used 320 grit emery cloth to sand the pc off of my new atv fourplay stem, just keep working around and around and around till its shiny where the clamp mounts to the stem, then cover it with a layer of grease. Really frees up the stem to be able to take full adjustability of a precision or other stabilizers.