PDA

View Full Version : thinking about doing a 416, need some ideas and suggestions

copperhead84
03-24-2009, 07:46 PM
I have a 2001 400ex and it is time to do a rebuild. I would like to do a 416 with a stage 2 hot cam and a port and polish. my question is... About how much am i looking at spending with doing all of this? What kind of internals should i use? And what about the head studs and cam chain? Any suggestions and answers would be great

matt14c
03-24-2009, 08:13 PM
I' am getting ready to do the same thing and from I have read on here and talked to a couple people in person and the quotes and prices I have gathered. You going to be looking at like $150 or so on piston and rings. I have decided between JE and Wiseco. Need to stay below 11:1 compression to stay on pump gas. A bore I have seen as cheap as like $40 and as high as a race shop by me for just a bore wants $135. The port and polish is what is going to get you. A good and average price port and polish depending how much you want to go and have done could easily cost $300 +. From what I have seen the hot cam is going to be around $140. I havent priced valve stuff im debating if I want to go that route. From what I have read on here the head studs by GT Thunder are Highly recommended for the 426 and 440 but it is just a good idea and wouldnt hurt on the 416. I believe they are like $75-80. In a 2001 I would replace the cam chain and tensioner with a CRF450 I believe 04' is what I have been told to get for the cam chain it is alot more heavy duty than the EX. Then get the stock 400ex tensioner. Then about $60 for all the necassary gaskets. Plus if you need new jets or what not. So I guess your answer would be like $800-1000. With that though and proper maintance it would be a very raliable and strong running machine.

honda400ex2003
03-25-2009, 09:26 AM
My setup is in my sig. I really like it alot. steve

honda400ex2003
03-25-2009, 09:35 AM
I spend around 600 bucks on everything, not bad but I did the labor myself. 11:1 you can run pump 93. The port andpolish is about 130 dollars for mine, bore was 45-50. je and wiseco are both good brands I have had my wiseco for a year and it runs great still. any year will work for the crf chain I would get a new tensioner and guides just for the chain. I didn't with the pro x, your right on the hotcam prices on ebay or on sale. jets are a few bucks a piece. Get a whole top end gasket kit and make sure it has a right side cover gasket. I wuold put in the hd studs if I was going to go higher compression than 11:1 on any of them otherwise it is not really a big worry but it would give the extra assurance i guess. I think I got all the questions and prices. You will like the 416 if done right it is your choice as to what hotcam or something you like I wanted the stage 1 for the low end and some like more top so they go for the stage 2. Either are great. Good luck Steve