PDA

View Full Version : polaris ranger 500

Diesel101
03-24-2009, 07:40 PM
hey guys, I'm curious about making more power...

I have an 05' ranger 500, I use it mainly around my farm for work, but also take it out to the desert with all my buddies, and I just want MORE power...

anyway, from what I understand the sportsman atv's and the rangers are the same exact motor/ computer setup.

What I would really like is a 700cc or higher swap...so if anyone is selling a motor please PM me.

Also, I had heard that the 500 H.O. cam will swap directly into my engine and make a little more power, plus it won't be as costly...does anyone know the power difference between the regular 500 and the H.O. ??

thanks for any help...i appreciate it.

rundrave
03-25-2009, 07:36 AM
The first 500's were non H.O. motors. Cams had less lift and duration, and used a 34mm Mikuni carb. They left the motor alone and placed it into the Magnum 500. Polaris then gave it a better cam, flow, and larger 40mm Mikuni, and named it the H.O. and it developed 20% more power, polaris placed it in the Sportsman, and also gave it to the Scrambler to help it in sales against it's own 400 2 stroke.

The 1997 500 was the oddball . The 1998 500 was the first year with the new HO motor. They may have put a mixture of engines in different models and I am not sure how to tell on a sportsman if it is an HO or NON HO. It probably says on the quad somewhere.

Dont look at just the motor for power, there is a lot to be gained just in the clutches!

There are some aftermarket cams that wake up the 500 nicely.

Diesel101
03-25-2009, 10:31 AM
what cams would you suggest? I haven't been able to find anything except for crap like steering wheels and other stuff...

thanks for the info...

rundrave
03-25-2009, 10:53 AM
here is a site:

http://www.webcamshafts.com/index_blank.html?pages/vehicle_search.html

here are some more goodies:

http://www.hpd-inc.com/Ranger.htm

Diesel101
03-25-2009, 01:42 PM
thanks a lot. If you have ANY other suggestions they would be greatly appreciated.

I just want reliable power...

thanks again.