PDA

View Full Version : lightened my flywheel today =)

trx310R#24
03-24-2009, 03:20 PM
i lightened my flywheel today stock weight is 2lb. 4.2oz.... it is now 2lb. 0.1oz... the gears seem really short now i have alot more power now im going to bore my carb an see what happens :D

86 Quad R
03-24-2009, 03:38 PM
gots a pic of the flywheel(before and aft)?

trx310R#24
03-24-2009, 07:56 PM
Originally posted by 86 Quad R
gots a pic of the flywheel(before and aft)?

no but i have a pic of it by another stock one. i didnt think about taking a before pic bc i have other stock fly wheels.

ill upload some in a second

trx310R#24
03-24-2009, 08:05 PM
its still a littlie ruff but its getting there.

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e16/asm43101/Image0058-1.jpg

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e16/asm43101/Image0060-1.jpg

trx250rider
03-24-2009, 08:37 PM
seems like to me that anything that rest on the crank should be balanced...i thought you had it done professionally done but it looks like you did it with a hand grinder...i hope it dont tear your motor or bearings up..

trx310R#24
03-24-2009, 08:48 PM
Originally posted by trx250rider
seems like to me that anything that rest on the crank should be balanced...i thought you had it done professionally done but it looks like you did it with a hand grinder...i hope it dont tear your motor or bearings up..

its kind of balanced =p

Aceman
03-24-2009, 09:47 PM
If your using an angle grinder, you need to slowly step back from your quad and never work on it again. Seriously.

I just can't even believe it....

jhtrx250r
03-25-2009, 12:10 AM
I would stop running that flywheel, you will be looking at a costly bottom end failure in the near future.
a crank that is slightly out of ballance will destroy mains and case journals in no time
do not grind a flywheel that way sometimes what costs the least in the begining will cost the most in the end.

bushwesl
03-25-2009, 04:55 AM
:huh :eek2: :rolleyes:

86 Quad R
03-25-2009, 06:51 AM
dayum it!!! what image hosts are most of you fellers using? work has tightened up on security here and at times i cannawt see pics. :grr:

05LSR250R
03-25-2009, 07:15 AM
dayum it!!! what image hosts are most of you fellers using? work has tightened up on security here and at times i cannawt see pics. :grr:

Trust me.....your not missin anything on this one!

Honda 250r 001
03-25-2009, 07:16 AM
ya man its too much to risk to do that. you need to spin the flywheel and cut at the same time to keep it round and help keep it balanced.

05LSR250R
03-25-2009, 07:27 AM
Even if you bring a flywheel into a local machine shop to get lightened. You have to be extremely careful about how they chuck the flywheel up! They can ruin it really easy if they dont how to properly chuck it up! Kinda like using a 3 jaw puller on it!

86 Quad R
03-25-2009, 07:36 AM
it that bad ehhh? :huh actually i was more interested in seeing which flywheel he used. ;) can someone do a copy/paste and email em to me? :cool:

trx310R#24
03-25-2009, 08:49 AM
it that bad ehhh? :huh actually i was more interested in seeing which flywheel he used. ;) can someone do a copy/paste and email em to me? :cool:

trx250rider
03-25-2009, 06:21 PM
whats your email address 86 quad r

86 Quad R
03-26-2009, 07:16 AM
pm sent

trx250rider
03-26-2009, 02:29 PM
email sent

Honda 250r 001
03-26-2009, 02:39 PM
ya man i warn you. your gonna have some serious problems with that piece of shi t . it still can be salvaged if you take it somewhere and have it balanced. but your screwed if you run it.

86 Quad R
03-26-2009, 02:43 PM
i juss looked at the pics and i too advised him against running it in it's current state. trx310R#24, why'ed you do that to the fly wheel? juss curious. :cool:

trx250rider
03-26-2009, 07:32 PM
86 quad r.........please edit your post....trx310R#24 started this post,i just sent you the pics so you could see them..i have a little more sense then to take an angle grinder to my flywheel..and by the way,i was the one to bring up the fact that he shouldnt run it

derby
03-26-2009, 10:27 PM
It is not as big of a deal as everyone is making it out to be. It is not going to trash your bottom end. You may notice increased vibration but it will not destroy your bottom end and no you will not be screwed who ever came up with that? Run the flywheel if you dont mind the extra vibration. If it is a small bore you may not even notice at all.

trx250rider
03-26-2009, 10:37 PM
and what comes with vibration over time???????how is this not a bad thing

Honda 250r 001
03-26-2009, 10:41 PM
i know for a fact that if this is unbalanced and by the pics its looks like he would be lucky if its even freckin round, this flywheel will eventually come apart or ruin your bearing and crank. It will also not let your motor rev all the way out because its vibrating so bad.

jcs003
03-27-2009, 02:42 AM
Originally posted by derby
It is not as big of a deal as everyone is making it out to be. It is not going to trash your bottom end. You may notice increased vibration but it will not destroy your bottom end and no you will not be screwed who ever came up with that? Run the flywheel if you dont mind the extra vibration. If it is a small bore you may not even notice at all.

it will most definitly cause issues. spinning at X-rpm for long enough with a wobble in due to non-concetricity will cause premature bearing failure. they are balanced from the factory and alot of racers have them balanced more precisely.

derby
03-27-2009, 08:18 AM
Originally posted by jcs003
it will most definitly cause issues. spinning at X-rpm for long enough with a wobble in due to non-concetricity will cause premature bearing failure. they are balanced from the factory and alot of racers have them balanced more precisely.

So you guys talk like engine builders lets see some damage caused by those unbalanced flywheels. Provide a litte justification for what you beleive. Anyone can get on here and say it but I am calling you out to prove it because I think your wrong.

JIMFROMTEXCO
03-27-2009, 09:11 AM
there probly isn't any damage pics.... because an engine builder with any cents wouldn't run a flywheel that has been lightend using an angle grinder.

they balance engines for a reason. if it would be reliable unbalanced don't you think the big manufactures would sell them that way? it would cut costs...

DONT RUN THAT!

derby
03-27-2009, 09:41 AM
Originally posted by JIMFROMTEXCO
there probly isn't any damage pics.... because an engine builder with any cents wouldn't run a flywheel that has been lightend using an angle grinder.

they balance engines for a reason. if it would be reliable unbalanced don't you think the big manufactures would sell them that way? it would cut costs...

DONT RUN THAT!

Not exactly, the flywheel only accounts for a small percentage of the rotating wt in a motor. I just think there are too many people bashing this guy over something that will create a little more vibration at the most. Most everyone talks like they have first hand experiance which is not the case.

Here is a thought quesiton.... what about an unbalanced crank? do you think that would be worse than an unbalanced flywheel?

Honda 250r 001
03-27-2009, 10:55 AM
all cranks are balanced from the factory. and yes a balanced crank would be worse. but its not a smart thing to do. I wouldnt even think about runnin that piece on my R. if your a shade tree mechanic, go for it, but im not.

trx250rider
03-27-2009, 11:15 AM
derby why dont you prove it to us, grind your flywhell and let us know how that baby rides...

Honda 250r 001
03-27-2009, 11:51 AM
good idea. lol

trx310R#24
03-27-2009, 11:52 AM
1. i did NOT use an angle grinder

2. it did not make my bike vibrate anymore iv run the stock one an the lightened one.

3. theres not much metal left on the damn thing so it cant be that unbalanced lol

4. it is round. idk how it looks in the pics to you but it is round cuz i had it spinning as i was grinding.

it did not mess up my motor in fact maybe i will take it to see what the balance of it really is or maybe ill just start up my quad get a angle grinder an balance it my self :D :D lol

derby
03-27-2009, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by Honda 250r 001
all cranks are balanced from the factory. and yes a balanced crank would be worse. but its not a smart thing to do. I wouldnt even think about runnin that piece on my R. if your a shade tree mechanic, go for it, but im not.

If you want a balanced crank you must do it yourself. No, most cranks are not balanced to specs like you think. Thats fine if you do not want to do that to your flywheel but dont knock it unless you know what you are talking about.

derby
03-27-2009, 12:18 PM
Originally posted by trx250rider
derby why dont you prove it to us, grind your flywhell and let us know how that baby rides...

I have ridden several drag bikes that had cranks that are not balanced. They vibrate worse than a harley davidson, yet the bottom ends hold up just fine no excessive bearing damage. One builder everyone knows Nate Mccoy built a saber motor that was one of the roughest vibrating hondas I have ever seen(crank did not balance out). However it is also one of the fastest hondas to run around here. How about the CR500. It does not have a balanced crank nor does it have a counter balancer. Why does everyones theory of bottom end damage not hold up on that motor? I know you guys offer a lot of good advice to new members but keep the "I would not put that $hit on my bike" to yourself. If you have tried it and it failed that is fine but like I said you make a bigger deal out of it than it is and you have never even tried it. Not to mention I respect the people that go about working on their own motors.

matt250r21
03-27-2009, 12:31 PM
I had one of my 89 flywheels lightened by a local machine shop. All they did was chuck it in a lath and removed some metal. It looked like crap when it was done and the guy even said it would be out of balance. At the time I didn't care and ran it like that for 2 years with no problem. Use to ride everyday and race on Sunday back then. So would I run it again, No. The 01 CR250 ignition is better for my setup. If there was no CR set up, I would run it again, but this time I would get it rebalanced after lightening it.

jcs003
03-27-2009, 12:52 PM
So you guys talk like engine builders lets see some damage caused by those unbalanced flywheels. Provide a litte justification for what you beleive. Anyone can get on here and say it but I am calling you out to prove it because I think your wrong.

didn't mean to insult you. but, i am a mechanical engineer and that is where my credibility comes from.

it is also common knowledge grinders are for welders not machinists. i also have a machinist certification

derby
03-27-2009, 04:12 PM
Originally posted by jcs003
didn't mean to insult you. but, i am a mechanical engineer and that is where my credibility comes from.

it is also common knowledge grinders are for welders not machinists. i also have a machinist certification

No one insulted me I was just standing up for this guy a little. If he were a new guy to the forum he would probably never post again.

From experiance I know that the motor mounts are what take the brunt of the vibration. I have seen a few break but no bottom end failures.

jcs003
03-27-2009, 04:19 PM
No one insulted me I was just standing up for this guy a little. If he were a new guy to the forum he would probably never post again.

i commend you for your thoughtfulness. but all things aside, i was just trying to convey to the man it is not a D.I.Y. project, unless you have the appropiate equipment.

our advice may save a headache or two.