PDA

View Full Version : TC`s Cross Country Engine

Dave400ex
11-16-2001, 01:06 PM
I called Tom Carlson yesterday. I asked him about a setup for Cross Country. He told me to go with his 425 Kit, Cross Country Cam, and his Pipe. The total cost was in the $600 to $700 range. That`s what I want. The only thing I`m not sure about is his pipe. It`s way to loud and I`m really not sure what it looks like. So, does anybody have the TC pipe? If you do could you post a picture? If I don`t get a TC pipe, I`m not sure which one to get, FMF maybe. What do you guys think? Thanks for any help.

barbwire44
11-16-2001, 02:17 PM
FMF all the way!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!POWERCORE-IV-2 The best pipe out there!!!!:devil

Dave400ex
11-16-2001, 03:02 PM
That`s what I was kind of thinking. Maybe the Powercore IV-2 and a Powerbomb header. I asked TC about the FMF pipe and he said, yes the FMF is a very good pipe and makes more horsepower over stock, but is it as good as mine, no it doesn`t make as much torque. I`ll keep researching.

11-16-2001, 07:32 PM
i love the TC pipes and all of his motor work i just got mine back a while ago and i love it..when it is time for me t get a new pipe thats what it'll be...yes it is loud and prolly not to useful for you scince you are going x-country...but i'd recommen an fmf like you said or maybe a dmc with a spark arrester... i have a wb and like it but that don't mean i am going to tell you to go and buy it ...any how just boasting TC asual... but you already know his good reputation..anyhow good luck and have fun!!;)

Dave400ex
11-16-2001, 07:34 PM
What did you have him do to your motor?

11-16-2001, 09:13 PM
i am not exactly sure i took the whole motor to "Lost Creek Cycles" and he took it apart and sent it to tom.... i had a 426 in it before and when we sent it to him i told kevin at lost creek to do what he thought was best for mot x and whell tom siad it wouldn't be worth going 416 so he siad he made it big!.. he said and i quote " this thing is going to run" ( thats what my sig means)

anyhow..i already had a wb-mid top cam and my head was ported and had heavy valave springs and tom baisically traded my stock crank that was prolly juk for one he was going to stroke which saved me alot of money and he installed a new sleeve and the piston and all.... like i said i am not sure i just took it to keven and said do it .... they aren't sure what the total displacment came out to but he claims it it big, reliable, and fun? :) .

Chef
11-16-2001, 11:00 PM
Find some pics of Doug Gusts Suzuki Quad, he has a TC racing "silencer" on his bike. its very short, and you have to drill your subframe to mount it

11-17-2001, 04:28 AM
Generaly Carlson uses his head pipe with a Supertrap exhaust. I'm not sure how well the combo works but coming from Carlson I'm sure it is good. I run GNCC and I use an LRD pipe on a 426cc motor, mild cam, modified carb., lightened flywheel and modified head both done by myself, and I'm very happy. I broke my back just before the Ironman and I let a buddy race it, we screwed something up in the jetting and did not fix it until his last lap. The bike ran so well that he made up 20 positions in one lap. He could not believe the torque and speed that it has. If you want to get serious about racing in the woods aim all of your efforts at low end torque, you can play with the gearing to get top end speed when you need it. Some of the questions that I had answered were from Tom, he knows his **** when it comes to four strokes.

Poncho
11-17-2001, 07:49 AM
I am looking into cross country racing myself heres the mods that I was going to do to my bike! What do you think?

330 kit
400ex carb
change front sproket
works dual rates with rezzies
full skids
razrs all the way around with 190 rims

plus my existing mods......or do you think I maybe need a 400ex?

DISHO1
11-17-2001, 08:05 AM
dirtyp, how did you modifiy your carb yourself? i have removed the choke and shaft on mine.

Tommy 17
11-17-2001, 09:56 AM
i am puttin a tc mx grind cam in my 400ex right now. it should be back soon i will tell u how i like it wit a 406 je piston. if i get a pipe its goin to be FMF... or lrd.

Dave400ex
11-17-2001, 01:19 PM
How does this sound,?

FMF Powercore IV-2 with a K&N Air Filter/Outerwear,
TC`s 425 kit,
TC`s C.C. Cam,
TC lightened flywheel for $85,
and ask him if I should keep the stock header or not.

What did you do to your carb? I might ask him if he mods the stock carb. Also, what did you do to your head,? just a play port job, or something else? Did you do anything to your clutch? Thanks Guys for your help.

Dave400ex
11-17-2001, 08:03 PM
What do you think of this setup? I want to make sure I get the right pipe. Anybody else got the FMF Powercore IV-2?

Dave400ex
11-18-2001, 10:28 AM
Does anybody else have a good Cross Country Setup?

Dave400ex
11-18-2001, 07:45 PM
Bump.

11-19-2001, 06:58 AM
Dudes, the FMF pipe isnt even that good, the only reason everyone has it is cuz fmf puts so much money into advertising, the best pipes for the 400 are the WB and CT. If you want a good setup for a cross country engine, here it is

Ims 440 kit
K&N powerkit
WB cam
WB E series pro meg exhaust
if you want more rpms get a rev limiter, but its not necessary

465Stroker
11-19-2001, 07:16 AM
Tom at TC Racing gave you the best GNCC Setup. For the Last 3 years TC Racing has claimed the GNCC 4 Stroke Modified Class with his 425cc Kit ( 88mm Piston, GNCC Cam, and TC Racing Pipe).
His pipe has a Supertrapp muffler with an open end which is very loud. However, if noise is a problem, you can install the Supertrapp disks and closed end on the TC pipe to make it quieter, but you do lose some hp. This would give you the ability to ride your local trails with the disks, or if you are going racing you can put the TC open end on.
Also, the TC Pipe does not require you to drill your frame like ATV Sport once mentioned. It uses the same mounting holes as your stock muffler. However, you do need to cut 5 1/2" off of your stock header pipe. If you do not like cutting your header pipe, you can buy a stock header in these classifieds or ebay for around $20.00. I like the TC pipe because it is much shorter (the end of the pipe is about 8-10" in from your rear brab bar), which keeps you exhaust away from harm if you wreck or get rear ended.
I have a TC 425 and TC 465 GNCC motors. Once you have the TC 425 kit, all you need is a TC racing 6mm stroker crank which adds 40cc, to get up to 465cc. However, I like the 425cc motor better, for it is much easier to hold on to.

indygncc
11-19-2001, 12:27 PM
hey 465stroker, How do you think a 11:1 Wiseco w/ some head work, w/ the stock bore would do for Cross country? Ronnie Martin runs TC's exaust, he seems to like it alot. I run the T-4 (pro circuit). I think I wanna swith to TC. What class are you running next year 465stroker? What's your name?

465Stroker
11-19-2001, 01:05 PM
indygncc,
Your 11:1 Stock bore piston should work just fine. On the porting part, I was always told that the 400EX head already outflows the stock carb, so there is really no need for porting unless you get a larger carb. You did not mention if you have a different cam either.
TC Racing has always given me the formula with mail order thru him (TC 425cc kit), or installed everything himself (TC 465cc kit). He has built some great 300EX motors for my wife also, and I have yet to ever have him suggest porting my heads on either the 300EX or the 400EX motors he was building for GNCC. It is really all about having all of the right parts work together effectively.
As for next year, I am unsure of my plans. My name is Rick Cecco. I ended up finishing a very poor 13th overall in the Open A Class. My wife is Traci Lenig Cecco. She is the 2000 and 2001 GNCC Women's Champion.

Dave400ex
11-19-2001, 03:08 PM
He told me that the kit has won the championship the last four years. I really like TC Racing. I`m really thinking about doing this. I`m not to sure about his pipe though. If I put the dics on for the quieter effect, would I have to reject if I took them off at the race track? I don`t want to have to do that.

Did you have the 425 kit with the cam and pipe? How did you like the kit and pipe? I have heard great things about it. Was the pipe really that loud? I don`t want to go to a 465. There`s no reason. TC told me the 425 would be all I ever needed. He told me to stay with stock porting and the stock carb too. I think this is what I would do,
TC 425 kit
TC C.C. Cam
Have TC lighten the Flywheel
and His pipe or a different Pipe.

Does this sound good to you? How much is the 425 kit with the Cam and Pipe? Can you order this kit and have it put on by someone else so you don`t have to ship out the engine?

Sorry for all the questions. Thanks for all your help.

Dave400ex
11-19-2001, 03:11 PM
Sorry, I posted it twice.

indygncc
11-19-2001, 08:02 PM
465stroker, yeah I kow who your wife is. She's pretty quick for a girl :) You guy's have alot of good local Harescrambles in your part of the country? We have some pretty good ones in Indiana. Open A's Danny Tunks runs them And Kevin Wall, Ronnie Martin.(he's fast for an old man:) ) And Brent Howell. He won everyone last season on a stock 400. What are the best places in the ATV market to hit up for sponsor's? Get back at me

465Stroker
11-20-2001, 04:09 AM
Warriorman,
You are going to have to call TC Racing for the latest pricing. I actually built mine up in small increments. I first bought the exhaust in 1999, then a year later I bought the piston and cam for the 425. The 425 is a great motor. It will run on pump gas, and keep up with motors from other engine builders with much higher compression (Race Gas). It is really just a great package. I still run the stock carb on both motors with actually the same jetting for each (Stock pilot - 152 main jet - 3 turns on air screw out). You will be able to race a complete GNCC with no pitting using an IMS 4.3 gallon tank no problem. Plus with the lower compression and good maintenance your motor should last the whole season without needing to be reringed.
As for the ATV market and sponsors. I hate to say this, but you are a little late if your resume is not in by mid October. Traci actually sends one out before the season is over. It is hard, especially if you are not sure how you are going to end up. You may still receive some support with discounts, etc. but it is best to get your resume in front of them before there sponsorship dollars is spent.

Dave400ex
11-20-2001, 02:29 PM
Thanks 465Stroker. I think I`m going to get the TC Pipe with a K&N Air Filter and Outerwear for right now. I also want to get the Pingry airbox so the battery and all the wires are inside. Then I wouldn`t have to worry about the battery anymore and the 400 would look a lot better with out all that crap on the side.

11-20-2001, 07:29 PM
i am geting ready to order his pipe when i sell my car .... his products are awsoem and trust him with anything of mine...anyhow is the 425 kit an 88mm piston 11.1 comp?... thanks in advance

Dave400ex
11-20-2001, 08:06 PM
Yes it`s 88mm. I`m not sure what compression it is though.