PDA

View Full Version : transmission problems II

3traxrider320
12-28-2002, 05:32 PM
Okay...Lemme try to explain my problem...

Ive had my '02 400ex for a little over a year, i ride it pretty much all season long. Sometimes when i go to up shift from 2nd up (nomally in an agressive manner) the next gear up does not seem to catch and makes a grinding sound. My friend tells me just to shift harder. Now since its winter i dont do much shifting but it still happens... is my tranny shot? gears stripped? Please help

Thanks.

Pappy
12-28-2002, 05:42 PM
maybe a bent shift fork? the only way to get to the root of this is gonna be a teardown imafraid.:(

toby400ex
12-28-2002, 06:03 PM
after a long ride mine shifts into first really rough, does this mean anything, but if you **** really smoothly it is fine. wtf:huh

Sick0
12-29-2002, 12:27 PM
This is a real bad sign. I had the same thing happen to mine. The problem is the 3rd countershaft gears, the dogs on the gear wear and won't let the gears engage right. the more it happens and the more the gears grind the more the dogs wear. until the you have no 3rd at all. Thats whats me, and some other on here. It cost me over 500 dollars replace the parts and you have to split the case to do this.

DaveEX7
12-29-2002, 01:02 PM
u are grinding ur gears too much... ur gears are probably stripped

its like missin a gear and goin back into the same one, but when u shift ur gassing too quickly and ur gears dont know which way to go so the gear is rite in the middle and wont change to u rev the throttle of shift back up or down

Ex_Rider43
12-29-2002, 02:39 PM
is it 500$$ to replace a broken tansmission??

ESR250R
12-29-2002, 02:43 PM
its from slapping your transmission into gear when u miss a gear or hit a false neutral. my tranny started doing it late last season so i had the whole bottom end rebuilt. new cases, gears, shift forks, hinson clutch basket, new clutch, 89 update, all new bearings, etc. i was racing at a few local tracks and i would come around a corner in say 2nd gear and i would go to grab 3rd and it would go into neutral. so i would slap the shifter up into gear and continue racing. by slapping my shifter into the next gear i would round the dogbones even more. for those of u that dont understand do u know how when u shift from neutral into 1st the tranny will pop into gear, well if u rev it really high and pop it into gear it pops into gear too hard and rounds the dogbones. u should also always use the clutch to shift. shifting without the clutch will cause this also.

Sick0
12-30-2002, 02:25 PM
Yup 500 dollars to replace it. Thats two gears, shifting drum,the shifting forks, shifting shaft,
complete engine gasket kit, seals, a couple of bushings. I'm doing all the work my self.