PDA

View Full Version : frame repair

edwardsp&b
03-24-2009, 07:43 AM
hey guys! sunday at pell city, last lap, 2 turns to go, Ben shorted the step up and this was the result. im gonna fix this just to get him going for a few more races, then pull it and replace the frame. i figured i should post some pics of the repair, as ive seen this problem area on the frame from a few others drr's. ill post more as we get it fixed.

edwardsp&b
03-24-2009, 07:43 AM
and again

edwardsp&b
03-24-2009, 07:45 AM
last one

edwardsp&b
03-24-2009, 07:50 AM
for repairing im going to get a solid metal rod, slide it in and weld it up. marc at hotquads is going to send a gusset kit and ill post pics during the repair and after.

also, it was a pleasure to meet everybody at the national this weekend, there are some great people on this forum, and apart of the national series. we look forward to running a few more this year and a full schedule next year.

Logan #34's Dad
03-24-2009, 12:29 PM
Wow, That is the most common spot for these frames to break. You'd think that DRR would have the factory just add the gussetts when they make them. There's alot of stress on that little upper rail. Heck maybe we could get DRR to go back to the '02 style frame and add the hoop for dual a-arms. The older frame is about 2" longer and would keep the engine a little further from the front AND help the balance. JMO. Someday they will put me in charge! :p

edwardsp&b
03-24-2009, 02:23 PM
thats a good idea on the frame. i would like to know how many out there has experienced this with the gussets. from looking at ours, im not sure if ridden very hard or over time it wouldnt break again with the gussets. it just looks like a very high stress point. thats why im going to insert a rod inside and gusset it. were planning another build now, and im thinking i might want to insert the rod and gusset the next frame before we have these troubles.

ps. if we are going to put you in charge rocky, id suggest starting in washington dc:D just my 2 cents
bryan

bulldogfallon
03-24-2009, 03:13 PM
That is a very common break.....We had to weld Dillan's frame at the track Friday morning....

DRR is aware of this issue and I believe they are working on an upgraded gusset install as we speak

Good to meet you this weekend

Go DAWGS!

travis rimmer
03-24-2009, 04:30 PM
mine broke over the weekend also should i wait for the upgraded kit or get the current one

travis rimmer
03-24-2009, 04:32 PM
bulldog, did you allready have the current gusset kit on when the frame broke?

zach R 7x
03-24-2009, 05:51 PM
Bryan , i've felt your pain!
had that happen twice last year ,
i actually did the same thing that you are going to do and welded a plate across the top of the tubes ,just to finish the year out. good luck

EthansDad
03-24-2009, 07:25 PM
you could just tell Ben to slow down :D

As far as frame breaks go, we've had our round too, but that is a quality break on both sides!

Bryan, PM me with an email address, we have some pics to get to ya!

edwardsp&b
03-25-2009, 07:05 AM
yeah gary i saw yall welding late, late friday night. yall are very good to get that thing going like yall did. we will just finish the year out and ill redo the whole frame in the offseason. we had a great time, nobody got hurt and we learned how to take really quick showers. cant wait for the next one.
bryan

GO DAWGS!!!!

ps eric i cant make ben slow down at anything, that is a great picture, he has talked about that nonstop since we left. pat brown is his hero.

edwardsp&b
03-27-2009, 06:54 AM
here are some more of the frame break. youll see the rod, and us welding it up. we drilled pilot holes in three diffrent places so we could move, adjust and weld in the rod. we installed gussetts at every point we could. we tried to really beef up where the shock mount is. hopefully this will hold up till the end of the season, we will tear it all down do the front and re powdercoat. for now we will shoot some etch primer, then some blue and a little clear coat, and be in time with our next race. BIG THANKS TO MARC @ HOTQUADS, HAD THE GUSSETS NEXT DAY, WITH PICTURES OF WHERE TO INSTALL.

BRYAN

edwardsp&b
03-27-2009, 06:54 AM

edwardsp&b
03-27-2009, 06:55 AM

edwardsp&b
03-27-2009, 06:56 AM

edwardsp&b
03-27-2009, 06:56 AM

edwardsp&b
03-27-2009, 06:57 AM

edwardsp&b
03-27-2009, 06:58 AM

edwardsp&b
03-27-2009, 06:59 AM

edwardsp&b
03-27-2009, 06:59 AM

edwardsp&b
03-27-2009, 07:00 AM

edwardsp&b
03-27-2009, 07:01 AM
I KNOW IT LOOKS UGLY BUT IT WILL HOLD.

edwardsp&b
03-27-2009, 06:35 PM
last 2 one with primer and the other with paint

edwardsp&b
03-27-2009, 06:35 PM

QuadJunkies
03-28-2009, 12:23 AM
Been there... done that.
My sons broke on both sides at the same time ,his happened during a race and he thought he had a blown shock. lol
We sleeved as well and so far so good.

mac75
03-28-2009, 08:56 AM
We broke are frame there also... Myu problem is that we dont race motorcross and it broke... With that said .. How can this be considered safe.. Not every drr buyer is on this site.. and knows off these issues..

edwardsp&b
03-28-2009, 03:33 PM
ive been told by others that drr was aware of this problem. im sure marc or gary will chime in and have an answer. they are supposed to be gusseting the frame from the factory. im sure after this i wont have a problem. my son rides as hard as he can all the time, i expect breaking something every now and then.

quadjunkie, i thought the same thing, last lap i even tried to get him back on the track to finish the race. until i stuck my head under the rear plastic and seen it broke. oh well thats racing:D

QuadJunkies
03-28-2009, 04:08 PM
Originally posted by edwardsp&b
ive been told by others that drr was aware of this problem. im sure marc or gary will chime in and have an answer. they are supposed to be gusseting the frame from the factory. im sure after this i wont have a problem. my son rides as hard as he can all the time, i expect breaking something every now and then.

quadjunkie, i thought the same thing, last lap i even tried to get him back on the track to finish the race. until i stuck my head under the rear plastic and seen it broke. oh well thats racing:D

We told Brandon to finish his race and told him he was just being paranoid.haha!! Boy were we wrong!! :o :p LOL

JAG Motosports
03-28-2009, 09:33 PM
Originally posted by QuadJunkies
We told Brandon to finish his race and told him he was just being paranoid.haha!! Boy were we wrong!! :o :p LOL

That's funny I've done the same thing. BTW I was born and raised in Meridian/Kuna area...lived there for 39years until we moved to Florida 8years ago. Sure do miss the mountains....over-passes just aren't the same:(

I've learned a few things with these mini quads.....how to weld and buying them is the cheap part:grr:

QuadJunkies
03-28-2009, 09:49 PM
Originally posted by JAG Motosports
That's funny I've done the same thing. BTW I was born and raised in Meridian/Kuna area...lived there for 39years until we moved to Florida 8years ago. Sure do miss the mountains....over-passes just aren't the same:(

I've learned a few things with these mini quads.....how to weld and buying them is the cheap part:grr:

WOW,small world!You wouldnt believe how much its grown! Do you have family here?
You probably know all about all the riding areas we take the kids to then:)
When it coms to racing though, there isnt much here .:ermm:
Ive been raised here my whole life, Im ready for some change.

I bet the humidity took abit to get used to also?

JAG Motosports
03-28-2009, 10:00 PM
Ya still have family there. Dad, aunts, uncles , nieces etc.. I'm sure you know of Carl's cycles..Carl was my moms brother. I remember when Kuna was nothing but a bend in the road on the way out to the caves and swann falls. Humidity is bad, but when we visit , the dry heat seems brutal now.

QuadJunkies
03-28-2009, 10:37 PM
Originally posted by JAG Motosports
Ya still have family there. Dad, aunts, uncles , nieces etc.. I'm sure you know of Carl's cycles..Carl was my moms brother. I remember when Kuna was nothing but a bend in the road on the way out to the caves and swann falls. Humidity is bad, but when we visit , the dry heat seems brutal now.
I bet we know alot of mutual folks here at home !
Yes I knew of him,one of his freinds was also a good freind of mine.
Kuna has built 4 new schools just since we moved here in 2000 from Boise.
oops... sorry to hijack the topic .
Let us know when you come to visit in Idaho again.

mac75
03-31-2009, 05:43 AM
Want to hear something FUNNY??? I had to call drr looking for some parts yesterday and I asked about the frame breaking and they said it was news to them and they have never heard of it..... I have two other friends that have them/... Niether family has stepped foot on a race track and there frames broke...... It cant be just this few,,

hotquads1
03-31-2009, 11:31 AM
I have seen many frames break, some after they have Been gusseted still broke, this is not unique to DRR , this is a quad problem the big bikes "450 's and such" commonly break as well , gusset kits are offered for all of these brands because they all can break. Apex adds some gussets from factory but they still break also, 8000.00$ Cobras come with gussets installed but commonly break the frame.. gussets certainly help but be assured they do not guarantee you will not break it again. If the rear shocks starts to get too weak for the type riding you are involved in and it begins to "bottom out", cracks will begin and its only a matter of time till something gives. I would like to see some gussets added from the factory, but I trust the ones I add more. Brian looks like it turned out well , is he ready ti ride ?
marc

edwardsp&b
03-31-2009, 01:51 PM
i cant get him to quit asking to ride, if it was up to him he would ride everyday all day. as for the quad i think its ready, i dont think the exhaust coming loose effected it at all, i did a compression test and it was the same as when you built it. that is one very strong 90. as soon as it stops raining we will test it real good he is ready to get back on the track. he really wants the points title at durhamtown. he also talking nonstop about the next sequads race and lorretta lynns, of course. BTW marc i saw on youtube the holeshot with turbo. i told you that he had them by a mile, i dont know what the other parents were talking about, that video said it all.
bryan