PDA

View Full Version : Throttle

Mxjunkie
03-24-2009, 05:48 AM
So how do you run your R, twist or thumb throttle?

I'm a twist kinda guy, no one around here can ride twist so it keeps people off my quad.. :devil:

05LSR250R
03-24-2009, 05:54 AM
I've run both. I like the twist in the winter because my thumd doesn't feel like its gonna snap off!

I voted thumb throttle. I've had too mant whiskey throttle occurences with the twist in the dirt! Not fun!

rigger
03-24-2009, 07:38 PM
I was thinking about this for my R project. Don't know if I should put a twist or a thumb on it.

I rode a twist once for just a few minutes on a 300EX. I really did not give it a chance to make up my mind about it. I grew up on dirt bikes and still ride the street. Thumb throttles just seem to work on an atv.

I am building mine to be a play / trail ride. What do you guys think about a twist on her?

trx310R#24
03-24-2009, 08:13 PM
Originally posted by rigger
I was thinking about this for my R project. Don't know if I should put a twist or a thumb on it.

I rode a twist once for just a few minutes on a 300EX. I really did not give it a chance to make up my mind about it. I grew up on dirt bikes and still ride the street. Thumb throttles just seem to work on an atv.

I am building mine to be a play / trail ride. What do you guys think about a twist on her?

i have twist an i hate it.... it can be harder to use if you need to be half off the bike =p

deathman53
03-25-2009, 12:17 PM
I love twist and refuse to own a atv with a thumb. Everytime I ride my boss's quad w/thumb, my thumb hurts me so bad after not long. My friend whom I ride, is the same way, twist on everything. I don't find any problem hanging off the bike and using the throttle and with my trikes, you got to use some pretty awkward body positions at time. It just takes some getting used a to twist and you won't go back to a thumb either. As the first guy posted, the twist keep people from wanting to ride my atv's also, well, except one.

D Bergstrom
03-25-2009, 01:35 PM
Originally posted by deathman53
I love twist and refuse to own a atv with a thumb. Everytime I ride my boss's quad w/thumb, my thumb hurts me so bad after not long. My friend whom I ride, is the same way, twist on everything. I don't find any problem hanging off the bike and using the throttle and with my trikes, you got to use some pretty awkward body positions at time. It just takes some getting used a to twist and you won't go back to a thumb either. As the first guy posted, the twist keep people from wanting to ride my atv's also, well, except one.

X2.

If I had to ride with a thumb, I would quit riding.

Doug

wilkin250r
03-25-2009, 03:16 PM
If I had to run five miles right now, I'd probably quit the same way you guys did with the thumb throttle.

Like anything, it's a muscle that requires excercise to build stamina.

Now, I'm not saying you guys are stupid for liking the twist, it's all a personal preference. But of COURSE your thumb hurt, what did you expect?

I have both. Thumb on my ATV, and twist on my streetbike. My own preference is to use a thumb on anything that I'm doing a lot of handlebar twisting, like my ATV. A twist is fine for a dirtbike or a streetbike, because turning is most accomplished by leaning, not by twisting the handlebars.

mcboomport
03-25-2009, 03:27 PM
I run a 1/4 turn, and it is rad on the dunes. They do suck for right hand turns in trails! I just don't like thumb throttles.

If I had to ride tight trails all day long, I'de maybe think differently.

D Bergstrom
03-25-2009, 07:45 PM
Originally posted by wilkin250r
If I had to run five miles right now, I'd probably quit the same way you guys did with the thumb throttle.

Like anything, it's a muscle that requires excercise to build stamina.

Now, I'm not saying you guys are stupid for liking the twist, it's all a personal preference. But of COURSE your thumb hurt, what did you expect?

I have both. Thumb on my ATV, and twist on my streetbike. My own preference is to use a thumb on anything that I'm doing a lot of handlebar twisting, like my ATV. A twist is fine for a dirtbike or a streetbike, because turning is most accomplished by leaning, not by twisting the handlebars.

I have used a thumb before and to be honest with you, it did not bother my thumb at all, I just do not like them, just not comfortable riding with one. I have no problems turning with a twist, just something you have to get used to.

If you would like a demo, come down to Vegas sometime, I am sure I will have no problem keeping up with you with my lowly twist throttle.:D

Doug