PDA

View Full Version : Stroker crank, worth it??

blacknblue#2
03-24-2009, 12:25 AM
Well i was out riding the other day and scattered the crank on my 2007 450R. I have put quite a few OEM cranks in 04/05s but this one is my race quad and lookin to get more power every chance i get. Is the 3mm stroker crank worth the extra money? Right now im running a full big-gun exhaust, stage II hot-cam, 12.8:1 JE piston, Kibblewhite exhaust valves, faction mx Intake valves, kibblewhite dual rate valve springs, jetted, ESR intake and the green wire mod. Will i notice a big increase with the 3mm or is it basically a big bore thing?

Fast350ex
03-24-2009, 02:49 AM
If your gonna go stroker, I would say Falicon, but they are expensive.

Hotrods would be o.k with stock bore but they use a short rod set up.
You will notice a little gain in the torque curve.

Personally I would just go with a stock crank and Falicon rod. That would be your most reliable set up.

JessetheKid
03-24-2009, 07:31 AM
If your riding mx you got to think about running an open class vs one of the 450 classes. Just something to think about.

d3ktrix
03-24-2009, 11:42 AM
There is also the option of sending your blown up OEM crank to Crankworks and have them put a long rod on it.

If you go the long rod route remember you have to get a piston with a relocated wrist pin to match it.

If you do the HR +3 make sure you get it balanced/welded.

400exrider707
03-24-2009, 01:25 PM
Also if you go HR, dont use their bearings. DONT.

The HR is a cheater stroker, and its not the "proper" way to do it, but it works.

I personally would just do another OEM crank and put in a higher comp piston. How have those KW valves held up for you? I've heard some horror stories with those.

chad502ex
03-24-2009, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by 400exrider707
Also if you go HR, dont use their bearings. DONT.

The HR is a cheater stroker, and its not the "proper" way to do it, but it works.

I personally would just do another OEM crank and put in a higher comp piston. How have those KW valves held up for you? I've heard some horror stories with those.

i use kw and ferreas... both work fine....

400exrider707
03-24-2009, 03:26 PM
Originally posted by chad502ex
i use kw and ferreas... both work fine....

Hmm interesting. I've just heard so many bad things about the KW, that it scares me enough to stay away. I'd use ferreas in a heartbeat. I'd probably just use OEM on a stock/mild build anyways.

Its good to see you poke your head over here once in a while Chad.

I was just reading the quickshrk thread on the ORG, and I immediately ran back here... unbelievable.

blacknblue#2
03-24-2009, 04:43 PM
Ive had good luck out of the Kibblewhites but they are just on the exhaust side. Possibly on the intake side they may cause troubles i dunno. What kind of price are we looking at to get my stock crank done with a longrod. If the HR stroker dont really give you much them i may be interested in going another way.

S.A.J
03-24-2009, 05:12 PM
ive heard good things about the hodrods stroker crank but personally i dont have any experience,im sorry i didnt pay the extra $100 for the stroker when i replaced the stock crank....

spanky101
03-24-2009, 07:17 PM
Are you worried about being able to race in a 450 class still? Personally id just get another OEM crank and use the extra money you save for something else. But it all depends on what class your running