PDA

View Full Version : Buddy got paralyzed..

MX MaNiAc 06
03-23-2009, 10:55 PM
My buddy was out riding on the track behind his house with his dad spectating. First time out for the season, just doing some messing around in his back yard. He got crossed up on a 35-40' double. He landed sideways and broke his neck, with his father watching. That was Sunday and he's in intensive care, cord down his throat, can't talk. He can move his shoulders but has no feeling below his shoulders.

He was the most fun friend of mine to ride with. He was always pushing to go bigger and I have seen him go down hard various times. I've watched him land into the face of a 50' double to a dead stop. He rolled around, limped it off, got up and did it again. He has a lot of balls and a high tolerance for pain. He has gone down much harder than this but apparently his luck just ran out...

There is a small chance that when the swelling goes down he could walk again!!!! Please pray for my buddy Danny!!!!!

powermadd400ex
03-24-2009, 12:23 AM
dang man, he's in my prayers

S.A.J
03-24-2009, 12:46 AM
hes in my prayers

Mxjunkie
03-24-2009, 05:20 AM
Never good to hear, get well soon man!

sunco
03-24-2009, 05:23 AM
me too I'll pray & share w/ some friends about his miss hap.

05LSR250R
03-24-2009, 05:42 AM
Prayers sent! I watched my closest friend roll his truck and get partially ejected. I was in my truck right behind him when it happened. He broke his back right in the middle of the chest area.
Doc said he would never walk again! He now walks with a cane and also rides a KFX700. You guys and your buddy be sure to keep your chins up! Its a long road to recovery! Dont ever give up on him! He needs all the support he can get!

LeGaCyGiAnT124
03-24-2009, 07:24 AM
I am sorry, I wish him the best of luck to get back out!

bigd's ex
03-24-2009, 07:27 AM
Sorry to hear about Danny. Please let him know that we are all praying for him!!!!!!!! Sounds like you guys are really good friends. He needs you now more than ever, so stick by his side. Miracles happen ever day. :macho :macho Keep us posted on how he's doing.

dehner47
03-24-2009, 07:53 AM
my family will keep him and his family in our prayers. please keep up posted on his recovery.

hondardr4life
03-24-2009, 08:12 AM
Hey dan, its Dave.

I was floored to hear about Danny. Do you have any updates? The way Nicole was talkin yesterday, it sounded like he might not make it. She said they have to get him to breathe on his own and if they can't its all over.

This has really been bothering me, and I figured you would have made a post on here. Like I said, let me know if you have any updates. My prayers are with him and his family.

MX MaNiAc 06
03-24-2009, 08:13 AM
I just wish i could see him.. I'm up at school and the hospital he's at is 3 hours away. I called his mom last night but she was too shook up and said to give her a call today. I'll let you guys know how he's doing today. He's supposed to have the cord taken out so hopefully he's up to talking on the phone!

hondardr4life
03-24-2009, 08:15 AM
Be sure to let us know. I'll keep checking back on this post to see how hes doin.

kawabunga
03-24-2009, 08:33 AM
Dude, that sucks. I'm sorry to hear that. It's hard to see your good friends in bad shape like that. I hope for the best for him! Hopefully he can ride again someday.

Ruby Soho
03-24-2009, 11:21 AM
hope he makes it out ok

MX MaNiAc 06
03-24-2009, 02:08 PM
Originally posted by hondardr4life
Hey dan, its Dave.

I was floored to hear about Danny. Do you have any updates? The way Nicole was talkin yesterday, it sounded like he might not make it. She said they have to get him to breathe on his own and if they can't its all over.

This has really been bothering me, and I figured you would have made a post on here. Like I said, let me know if you have any updates. My prayers are with him and his family.

I just called his phone and left a message. I'll let you know what his mom says when she calls back. I'm pretty sure that's not why they stuck the tube down his throat but I could be wrong.

His parents are real shook up. It must be hard to watch their only child go through something like this..

05LSR250R
03-24-2009, 05:18 PM
The quicker that tube comes out of his throat the better! The longer someone relys on it the harder it is to be without it. I watched my buddy go thru that.......so please dont flame on me! Not trying to be negative! These things take mucho time and balls as big as churchbells to get through!

ATV Chic
03-24-2009, 08:29 PM
he'll be in our prayers

JRP
03-24-2009, 09:08 PM
Originally posted by sexyatvchic
he'll be in our prayers

x2. So sad to hear about this dan =[ Will say a prayer tonight for him

SRH
03-24-2009, 11:07 PM
wow, i hope he makes good progress... i was paralyzed last august,luckily it was very low, in my spinal cord. there is a few other riders on here as well that have been hurt similar or worse.

i dont know the extent of his injuries but i think with almost any spinal cord injury there will be some recovery to an extent, the is trauma and shock and swelling above and below his injury point, as that goes away he may notice improvemnets here and there, keep your fingers crossed for him.

have you heard from the doc yet if theyve labeled him complete or incomplete??

complete means 0 recovery below the level hes hurt and incomplete means he can recover some or fully if hes lucky enough

my advice for you to him if hes concious.... and capable of talking is to listen, the worst thing for me was hearing people sugar coat things, wait for him to ask the questions...

ive been hurt less than a yr , im low level incomplete, may walk almost normal some day..but i cant make recovery the focal point of my life... holding onto something that uncertain can make it real difficult to cope with everyday life

also make sure the hospital hes at is taking his skin care into consideration right now, they should be rolling him,side back side at least every 2 hrs or getting him into a bed for pressure relief tilting, so many guys come out of icu or inpatient hospital with bed sores that can last a year and get real nasty and can even be life threatening....bring that up to his parents , make them get on the hospitals *** about it...luckily i had some knowledge of this when i was a avg joe and didnt run into this problem

maybe look into this stem cell thing they got going for freshly injured people....i dont know much at all about it or how you become eligible

if you got any questions you can shoot me a pm or aim sn - fcyour5 or even if u want to talk

i couldnt imagine not having my arms or anything...so his feelings might be as strange to me , as you might be imagining how id feel, just be there for him, keep his mind occupied, and hope for the best

MX MaNiAc 06
03-25-2009, 01:17 AM
Originally posted by SRH
wow, i hope he makes good progress... i was paralyzed last august,luckily it was very low, in my spinal cord. there is a few other riders on here as well that have been hurt similar or worse.

i dont know the extent of his injuries but i think with almost any spinal cord injury there will be some recovery to an extent, the is trauma and shock and swelling above and below his injury point, as that goes away he may notice improvemnets here and there, keep your fingers crossed for him.

have you heard from the doc yet if theyve labeled him complete or incomplete??

complete means 0 recovery below the level hes hurt and incomplete means he can recover some or fully if hes lucky enough

my advice for you to him if hes concious.... and capable of talking is to listen, the worst thing for me was hearing people sugar coat things, wait for him to ask the questions...

ive been hurt less than a yr , im low level incomplete, may walk almost normal some day..but i cant make recovery the focal point of my life... holding onto something that uncertain can make it real difficult to cope with everyday life

also make sure the hospital hes at is taking his skin care into consideration right now, they should be rolling him,side back side at least every 2 hrs or getting him into a bed for pressure relief tilting, so many guys come out of icu or inpatient hospital with bed sores that can last a year and get real nasty and can even be life threatening....bring that up to his parents , make them get on the hospitals *** about it...luckily i had some knowledge of this when i was a avg joe and didnt run into this problem

maybe look into this stem cell thing they got going for freshly injured people....i dont know much at all about it or how you become eligible

if you got any questions you can shoot me a pm or aim sn - fcyour5 or even if u want to talk

i couldnt imagine not having my arms or anything...so his feelings might be as strange to me , as you might be imagining how id feel, just be there for him, keep his mind occupied, and hope for the best

He is still capable of walking again!! That's why everyone needs to pray for him! There is still a small chance and all anyone can really do about it is pray..

I know what you're saying about people sugar coating things. I broke my femur and i hate to hear things like "thats horrible, i feel so bad, i cant believe this happened to you." Those are negative things to me that i did not want to hear and i know Danny doesnt wanna hear. I called today and left a voicemail saying "hey buddy keep ur hopes up, were all praying for you, everything is gonna be alright. keep ur chin up and give me a call whenever possible i wanna hear your progress."

And I will also pray for you! You still have a chance! It sounds like there's nothing i can tell you that you dont have under control.

Thanks everyone for your prayers and input.

KXRida
03-25-2009, 11:54 AM
Wow. He's in my prayers!

I know what you're going through. I close friend of mine and member of this site (anthony mastrocola) was paralyzed in 2006 on father's day racing steel city. It's hard watching it happen to your friends. Hope for the best and just be there for him.

I too had a pretty serious accident in may of last year resulting in a fracture T7,T9, & L1 vertebrae as well as compression fracturing T9-L1. Doctor's said the leatt saved me from further complications/spinal cord injury judging by how the breaks were progressin up my back. That is one reason why I stand so strongly behind the leatt and advise it to any one who touchs a quad/bike.

sunco
03-25-2009, 01:59 PM
well thats good. flyboys Leatt just came today in time for BPG this weekend

quad2xtreme
03-25-2009, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by KXRida
Wow. He's in my prayers!

I know what you're going through. I close friend of mine and member of this site (anthony mastrocola) was paralyzed in 2006 on father's day racing steel city. It's hard watching it happen to your friends. Hope for the best and just be there for him.

I too had a pretty serious accident in may of last year resulting in a fracture T7,T9, & L1 vertebrae as well as compression fracturing T9-L1. Doctor's said the leatt saved me from further complications/spinal cord injury judging by how the breaks were progressin up my back. That is one reason why I stand so strongly behind the leatt and advise it to any one who touchs a quad/bike.

How is Anthony doing? Dan from BPG mentioned that he moved and that is the last I've heard about him. I have one of his t-shirts but I hid it...guess it is too much of a reminder of what can happen. I already had superstitions about it and would only wear it if I wasn't riding that day, etc. That had a big impact on me when it happened because he is the only person I've ridden with who suffered something like this. My wife tells me all the time it is going to happen to me. She might be right one of these days. It really pisssssessss me off when she says it.

Mxjunkie
03-25-2009, 07:18 PM
eh everyone needs to pick up trail riding that's all.. :p

250r rider 88
03-25-2009, 08:46 PM
that sucks man, just out of curiosity did he have any type of neck brace on?, i hate hearing things like this

SRH
03-25-2009, 09:27 PM
i was reading an article the other day about neck braces, the guy was arguing that it can be more dangerous to have one on than not because of the fact it distributes the impact above the top line of the brace or way up in your neck...now it may prevent breaking bad enough to kill you , but there is no protection for compression whats so ever, so land on your head and your up the creek without a paddle, i cant forsee a leat helping your out in the thoracic or lumbar area, thats so far down, the brace isnt going to do jack for that region....padding and cross your fingers....

back on topic, any good news on your buddy?

JJs450r
03-25-2009, 09:55 PM
in my prayers hopefully that small chance turns into a mircale sorry to hear about your buddy it always seems to happen to the best of them

250r rider 88
03-25-2009, 10:38 PM
Originally posted by SRH
i was reading an article the other day about neck braces, the guy was arguing that it can be more dangerous to have one on than not because of the fact it distributes the impact above the top line of the brace or way up in your neck...now it may prevent breaking bad enough to kill you , but there is no protection for compression whats so ever, so land on your head and your up the creek without a paddle, i cant forsee a leat helping your out in the thoracic or lumbar area, thats so far down, the brace isnt going to do jack for that region....padding and cross your fingers....

back on topic, any good news on your buddy?

there have actually been many people on who here have sworn by their leatt and "tested" them and it saved them, as well as hundreds of others across other forums

im not saying had he been wearing one it would have saved him, im not god and cant control that,

but i know that the leatt does do its job of preventing almost all types of neck injuries, they dont call it the "helmet for your neck" for nothing

the ways its designed is to spread out the impact to you collar bone and shoulders, and id rather take a broken collar bone or separated shoulder over a broken neck or any neck injury anyday

i really hope he makes the full recovery

MX MaNiAc 06
03-25-2009, 11:46 PM
Originally posted by 250r rider 88
that sucks man, just out of curiosity did he have any type of neck brace on?, i hate hearing things like this

I'd imagine he didn't. He was just messing around in his back yard. I'm sure he'd never think of going down let alone breaking something..

Haven't heard any updates..

davidw2155
03-26-2009, 09:15 AM
I'm really sorry to hear that man, I'll keep your friend in my prayers.

yfzrider73
03-26-2009, 03:11 PM
sorry to hear that man. I will pray for him and please please keep us updated

KXRida
03-26-2009, 06:36 PM
Originally posted by quad2xtreme
How is Anthony doing? Dan from BPG mentioned that he moved and that is the last I've heard about him. I have one of his t-shirts but I hid it...guess it is too much of a reminder of what can happen. I already had superstitions about it and would only wear it if I wasn't riding that day, etc. That had a big impact on me when it happened because he is the only person I've ridden with who suffered something like this. My wife tells me all the time it is going to happen to me. She might be right one of these days. It really pisssssessss me off when she says it.

He's doing pretty well. He's in Daytona now. Supposed to come back up to Pa sometime this summer to visit, but he hasn't said when. Other than that he's doing pretty well

Originally posted by SRH
i now it may prevent breaking bad enough to kill you , but there is no protection for compression whats so ever,

I think you should seriously reconsider this line

Preventing axial loading is one of the main things a leatt was designed to do. It does not prevent any sort of twist at all, but if I was going to lawn dart into a jump head first, I'd much rather have a leatt on. I take it you've never ridden with one?

SRH
03-26-2009, 07:49 PM
He's doing pretty well. He's in Daytona now. Supposed to come back up to Pa sometime this summer to visit, but he hasn't said when. Other than that he's doing pretty well

I think you should seriously reconsider this line

Preventing axial loading is one of the main things a leatt was designed to do. It does not prevent any sort of twist at all, but if I was going to lawn dart into a jump head first, I'd much rather have a leatt on. I take it you've never ridden with one?

that thing must be magic then if you have a long neck. how do they compensate for someone with a big gap from brace to helmet? .... and no, i have not, i dont know if i will either

KXRida
03-26-2009, 08:26 PM
Originally posted by SRH
that thing must be magic then if you have a long neck. how do they compensate for someone with a big gap from brace to helmet? .... and no, i have not, i dont know if i will either

Your helmet does infact stop. It's one of the strong points that most modern neck braces are intended for. It's inaccurate reviews such as this that tend to steer people away from the braces. If you don't advise wearing one, that is one's opinion, but as an advocate for riders that can't speak for themselves, yes, I would wear one.

SRH
03-26-2009, 09:41 PM
Your helmet does infact stop. It's one of the strong points that most modern neck braces are intended for. It's inaccurate reviews such as this that tend to steer people away from the braces. If you don't advise wearing one, that is one's opinion, but as an advocate for riders that can't speak for themselves, yes, I would wear one.

hmmm so ur telling me somone with a lengthy neck it will be just as effective....christopher reeves was wearing a neck brace i beleive and if he hadnt been wearing one hed be here today most likely...not walking but his injury would not have been as high

you can be a advocate but for every piece of protective equipment there is a trade off... id rather have my flexibility and mobility, just my 2 cents, if u wreck hard enough in a leatt for it to function your still not going to be WALKING away...something is going to give, if you want to debate it any further do it in a pm, i dont want to jack this kids thread

MX MaNiAc 06
03-26-2009, 10:35 PM
I just heard from a girl that went to visit him today. The cord is out, but he was out because they performed a surgery.. she didnt know what the surgery was for but she said she couldn't stand to be beside him for more than a couple minutes because it looked like he was in so much pain. She had a conversation with his parents and they told her the whole story, they all cried and it was very upsetting.

I know exactly what she means when she said it was hard to see him like that. I couldn't imagine him any other way than cracking jokes, being a smartass and always being the loudest kid around. It didn't matter what the situation was he would make it entertaining. I just hope he pulls through this..

SRH
03-27-2009, 12:12 AM
any updates or details on the severity of the injury?

it urks me man, i can really relate to what you and everyone is going through.....

when you do visit him...if hes up talking and what not....dont tell him its hard to see him like that if he has any idea that theres any chance he may not fully recover, because that will sit in his mind and snowball into depression and doubt ,that hes different now and he looks bad and may look like that forever ...know what im saying?

i started getting my **** together and people would be like i hate seeing u like that and id be thinking wtf, im just sitting down, you never sit down???

MX MaNiAc 06
03-27-2009, 08:10 AM
Originally posted by SRH

it urks me man, i can really relate to what you and everyone is going through.....

when you do visit him...if hes up talking and what not....dont tell him its hard to see him like that if he has any idea that theres any chance he may not fully recover, because that will sit in his mind and snowball into depression and doubt ,that hes different now and he looks bad and may look like that forever ...know what im saying?

i started getting my **** together and people would be like i hate seeing u like that and id be thinking wtf, im just sitting down, you never sit down???

Oh i know man. Ive had a few injuries and i hated when ppl felt bad for me. You don't wanna hear negative things when you're laying in a hospital bed.

MX MaNiAc 06
03-27-2009, 08:10 AM
Originally posted by SRH

Oh i know man. Ive had a few injuries and i hated when ppl felt bad for me. You don't wanna hear negative things when you're laying in a hospital bed.

KXRida
03-27-2009, 08:59 AM
Originally posted by SRH
hmmm so ur telling me somone with a lengthy neck it will be just as effective....christopher reeves was wearing a neck brace i beleive and if he hadnt been wearing one hed be here today most likely...not walking but his injury would not have been as high

you can be a advocate but for every piece of protective equipment there is a trade off... id rather have my flexibility and mobility, just my 2 cents, if u wreck hard enough in a leatt for it to function your still not going to be WALKING away...something is going to give, if you want to debate it any further do it in a pm, i dont want to jack this kids thread

Oh no doubt about it that there will be trade off's, but I'd rather protect my cervical and thoracic spine seeing how those tend to be where most of your motor, function, feeling, and vital areas that control basic functions are located. That's just my feelings on the subject and we'll just leave it at that and let the thread run it's course.

400ex28
03-27-2009, 09:22 AM
best of luck to him on getting better, he is in our prayers.

MX MaNiAc 06
03-29-2009, 10:36 AM
Just got a forward... :ermm:

Please pray for Dan. He was pneumonia and he is having oxygen issues and the ventilator is at 100% oxygen. Yesterday they put him in a special bed to rotate him face down and then to his right side. He is fighting the ventilator and biting the tube in his mouth which has caused air in his chest cavity so they have put in a chest tube.

05LSR250R
03-29-2009, 10:42 AM
I'm still praying for this guy and will continue to do so!

SRH
04-04-2009, 11:42 PM
any updates on his condition?:(

RideRed84
04-06-2009, 12:21 AM
Sorry to hear man, God Bless him and his family. Hopefully things work out for the best.

MX MaNiAc 06
04-06-2009, 10:23 AM
Originally posted by SRH
any updates on his condition?:(

My buddy told me that he has a lot of nerve damage in his neck and may never breathe on his own again...

sly400ex
04-06-2009, 10:52 AM
Originally posted by MX MaNiAc 06
My buddy told me that he has a lot of nerve damage in his neck and may never breathe on his own again...

Wow. I am very sorry to hear this. I too broke my back 10+ years ago, fortunately no spinal injury. Accidents like this put life in a whole new perspective.

Wishing the best for him.

SRH
04-06-2009, 09:53 PM
Originally posted by MX MaNiAc 06

nerve themelves or the spinal cord ?? nerves can heal to an extent, just keep in mind regardless he will get more than he has right now once the trauma and shock go away

MX MaNiAc 06
04-06-2009, 10:20 PM
Originally posted by SRH
nerve themelves or the spinal cord ?? nerves can heal to an extent, just keep in mind regardless he will get more than he has right now once the trauma and shock go away

Nerves on the back of his neck. Im hoping he gets a lot back.. I'm going home for Easter break and I'm going to visit him in the hospital and talk to his parents. I've wanted to talk to them and get the real scoop instead of hearing from Joe Blow what he heard from his second cousin.

zukirules
04-06-2009, 11:08 PM
Sorry to hear man, I put a prayer out for him. No one should live life disabled!

reconmaster
04-07-2009, 10:27 AM
hope he has a strong recovery...for the last statement posted whats wrong with a disability? not to jack the thread but i have done more things living with a disability then i did walking...i hope his infections clear up asap and he can soon be able to rehab himself up

zukirules
04-07-2009, 12:42 PM
Originally posted by reconmaster
hope he has a strong recovery...for the last statement posted whats wrong with a disability? not to jack the thread but i have done more things living with a disability then i did walking...i hope his infections clear up asap and he can soon be able to rehab himself up

I ment it as no one should have to live life disabled. I worded it wrong, my bad. Not saying that that, life won't be good, but so many things may be missed out on in life with a disability, I was merly saying it's one of the worst things that can happen to someone, especially a full fledged paralysis.

Never said anythings wrong with it.

zukirules
04-07-2009, 12:42 PM
Originally posted by reconmaster

I ment it as no one should have to live life disabled. I worded it wrong, my bad. Not saying that that, life won't be good, but so many things may be missed out on in life with a disability, I was merly saying it's one of the worst things that can happen to someone, especially a full fledged paralysis.

Never said anythings wrong with it. Shoulda explained myself better

smileymtb
05-02-2009, 07:47 PM
Any updates on your buddy's condition? Hope he is doing well!

SRH
05-25-2009, 09:46 PM
hows he doing , any updates?????????????????????