PDA

View Full Version : Motocross Tips

liljhall09
03-23-2009, 07:00 PM
Thought it would be a cool thread since we have a lot of motocross racer's on here. And also would be a great thread for younger kids that are starting there motocross career ! So give your best tip for motocross, such as what will help you and hurt you. Best tips to become a better and faster rider ?

Thanks Guys !

03-23-2009, 07:05 PM
3 words, negative resistance training.

liljhall09
03-23-2009, 07:11 PM
My tip - Walk the track , try to notice obstacles or ruts that could slow you down

BlaineKaiser450
03-23-2009, 07:18 PM
use the front brakes to slow down, and the rears to corner

Ruby Soho
03-23-2009, 08:15 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zahni9zHNvw

csr250r
03-23-2009, 08:54 PM
^^ I love that video haha.

hammerdown

Duke Nukem
03-24-2009, 03:31 PM
Try various 1st & 2nd gear starts, and don't just expect the quads suspension to do it all. Use them legs!!!

motofreak2772
03-24-2009, 04:11 PM
Here are some holeshot tips. Watch a few motos before your race and get a feel for when the gate drops.

- Start in 2nd
- have your foot resting on the brake
- keeping your weight forward
- give about half throttle
- ease out the clutch

Then when the gate drops try not to dump it but ease it out smoothly. Be ready for when the gate drops, be calm and dont blink lol. Try not to anticipate the gate though cuz this will lead to an early jump. Timing is the most important thing on the gate, not only do you want to have a good jump, but shifting at the right time would kinda help too. Power shifting works even better if you do it right. Try not to shift into 3rd too quickly(use all your power) though and bring your weight to the back of the quad. If you get into a wheelie it is better to tap the clutch than to back off the throttle. Then just dont back down when coming up to the turn, if you can hold it just a couple seconds longer than your openents the holeshot is yours.

05LSR250R
03-24-2009, 05:10 PM
Eating pasta before a race is a good idea!

BLU82
03-24-2009, 05:34 PM
Walk the track, ride as much as you can, eat good the day of the race, practice at the track before your race if you can, and slow down to go faster.

Wills77
03-24-2009, 07:17 PM
Originally posted by motofreak2772
If you get into a wheelie it is better to tap the clutch than to back off the throttle.

its better to stay on the throttle and just tap the rear brake...it will do just enough to drop the front end alot quicker and keep you going faster than tapping the clutch will

k4f5x0r
03-24-2009, 07:18 PM
get down and LEANNNN. that will keep you through the corners faster. especially if your on stock width :chinese:

csr250r
03-24-2009, 10:23 PM
Try some different lines in practice, or spot them anyway(don't want your opponents to see your new find until your passing them haha). Stay in shape, ride often, if the track is tight find your best places to pass.

JRP
03-25-2009, 08:14 AM
dont coast. either be ont he breaks or be on the gas, no in between. Break as late as possible into a corner then as soon as you let off the breaks or even while ur still on the breaks, feather clutch and get on the gas hard.

KXRida
03-25-2009, 11:47 AM
Do not drink alcohol the night before a race
Get a good nights sleep
Drink more than enough fluids starting up to 3 days in advance. It takes more than 24 hours to fully hydrate your cells.
STRETCH! This is one of the best preventative meauses you can do to avoid injury. Take a good 10 minutes and really stretch yourself and all major muscle groups. I cannot stress that enough
Use practice in the morning to find/make/alter lines not just to screw off
If your moto's are later check track conditions/watch some races to see if the track changed
Almost always do 2nd gear starts and PRACTICE THEM. Have them down before race time. You'll find it's nicer to get a good start than it is working your way up through the field from mid pack.
Know your limits
Get comfortable with your machine and have some degree of adjustability (brake taps, panic revs, etc)
Don't be afraid to try small setup changes at a time (not advisable on race day to drastically change your setup. Better to do it on a practice day)
DO NOT garage tune your suspension and go all out on the biggest jump you can find.
Frequent oil/oil filter/air filter changes/cleanings are your friend
If you have an easy up or something like that bring it so you have a nice shady place to rest inbetween moto's

I'm sure some more racers can add to my list, but those the major things I've learned to do/do.

KXRida
03-25-2009, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by JRP
dont coast. either be ont he breaks or be on the gas, no in between. Break as late as possible into a corner then as soon as you let off the breaks or even while ur still on the breaks, feather clutch and get on the gas hard.

This is a good tip and good skill to practice. It takes so much time and comitment to be able to do it smoothly. Good practice also helps

Nac's22
03-25-2009, 11:56 AM
Stay calm, when you get worked up you make mistakes and ride over your head. A very good way to get yourself hurt.

Ride smart don't do something that is out of your comfort zone

Work on the machine little by little all week long. It helps you out in having confidence because you know everything is done and doing everything the night before keeps you from getting a good night sleep.

NEVER EVER EVER EAT PROCESSED FOODS OR DRINK SODA THE NIGHT BEFORE OR THE DAY OF THE RACE!!!!!!!!!!

water water water... simple enough

Eat something small in the morning don't have a huge meal before a race because it will make you groggy, heavy, slow your reactions down and in my case I get sick while I'm in the track.

Most important- Have fun, unless your going to be a pro don't let it become your second job. Keep it fun and you will be doing it for longer and it always helps you do better. If you enjoy it then you will excell at it.

KXRida
03-25-2009, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by TRR440EX
Stay calm, when you get worked up you make mistakes and ride over your head. A very good way to get yourself hurt.

I've seen it happen/had it happen to me all too many times. One or two positions isn't worth risking your health.

Originally posted by TRR440EX
Eat something small in the morning don't have a huge meal before a race because it will make you groggy, heavy, slow your reactions down and in my case I get sick while I'm in the track.
[/B]

I too get sick. I usually find some juice in the morning's followed by a complex carb (peanut butter cracker is usually it) and lots of water does the trick in the morning then I tend to follow up with some food at the track.

motofreak2772
03-25-2009, 01:21 PM
Originally posted by Wills77
its better to stay on the throttle and just tap the rear brake...it will do just enough to drop the front end alot quicker and keep you going faster than tapping the clutch will
I just listed all things about the holeshot I learned from Jerimiah Jones' riding school. Taping the brake would slow you down, the clutch wouldn't, it would just slightly stop acceleration.

03-25-2009, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by 05LSR250R
Eating pasta before a race is a good idea!

Peanut butter and jelly is high in carbs/energy. Dont eat them without being active otherwise you will get fat

Wills77
03-25-2009, 01:37 PM
I just listed all things about the holeshot I learned from Jerimiah Jones' riding school. Taping the brake would slow you down, the clutch wouldn't, it would just slightly stop acceleration.

i think of it as taping the brake while staying on the throttle will give it a jolt to drop the front end fast... where taping the clutch will let it float down slowly and if the front end is trying to come up fast and high enough the clutch would take more time to lower it

ProspectorJim
03-25-2009, 05:06 PM
If you're coming out of a corner in too high of a gear and are close to stalling, tapping the clutch once or twice can save it.

liljhall09
03-25-2009, 06:21 PM
I always check my bike over before my first moto , to make sure nothing came loose or broke during your practice run !

S.A.J
03-25-2009, 06:41 PM
great advice everyone,now i just wish i could get my quad together and USE it lol,it'll be soon enough though.

Dupontster
03-25-2009, 06:46 PM
While going through whoops a wise man told me to close my eyes, gas it and hold on...

motofreak2772
03-25-2009, 06:52 PM
i think of it as taping the brake while staying on the throttle will give it a jolt to drop the front end fast... where taping the clutch will let it float down slowly and if the front end is trying to come up fast and high enough the clutch would take more time to lower it
The clutch technique is for when your front end starts lifting up as your getting higher in the gear. Not like when you take off and it just pops right up. if that happens then you didnt follow my first steps correctly and you mind as well just let off the gas. Idk if you tap the brake but ive never seen anyone do that unless you were on your grab bar. Even just bearly taping the brake and holding the gas would still put everyone else ahead of you. Like i said the clutch is for when you feel it STARTING to come up as your halfway down the stretch, you know?

Wills77
03-25-2009, 07:24 PM
The clutch technique is for when your front end starts lifting up as your getting higher in the gear. Not like when you take off and it just pops right up. if that happens then you didnt follow my first steps correctly and you mind as well just let off the gas. Idk if you tap the brake but ive never seen anyone do that unless you were on your grab bar. Even just bearly taping the brake and holding the gas would still put everyone else ahead of you. Like i said the clutch is for when you feel it STARTING to come up as your halfway down the stretch, you know?

im not talking about gooning out and almost flipping.
maybe you should pay a little closer attention.
this "tip" came from jason dunkelberger

MX MaNiAc 06
03-26-2009, 01:04 AM
You must be smooth before you can be fast...

Premis
03-26-2009, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by MX MaNiAc 06
You must be smooth before you can be fast...

Smooth is fast!

Watch the gate arm that is holding the gate up, not the gate. The arm will drop a split second before the gate.

motofreak2772
03-26-2009, 01:22 PM
im not talking about gooning out and almost flipping.
maybe you should pay a little closer attention.
this "tip" came from jason dunkelberger
ok w.e. they both work i guess...

KXRida
03-26-2009, 06:42 PM
Originally posted by Premis
Smooth is fast!

Watch the gate arm that is holding the gate up, not the gate. The arm will drop a split second before the gate.

When that happens you usually end up hitting the gate if you get a good jump. Just watch the gate. It's safer than getting hung up and blowing your race.

ALAMX37
03-26-2009, 07:16 PM
1 finger on clutch and 1 finger on front brake at all times.

When I go practice I usually work on cornering most of the day. If you have someone with you take a traffic cone and have them place it where you are letting off, and try to get closer and closer to the turn before slowing.

Relax your grip when you can, a lot of people just hold on for dear life and by lap 3 there arms are going numb. Every lil bit helps on a big track.

BLU82
03-26-2009, 07:21 PM
Originally posted by Premis
Smooth is fast!

Watch the pin you'll win, watch the gate your too late:D

Warnerade
03-27-2009, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by KXRida
When that happens you usually end up hitting the gate if you get a good jump. Just watch the gate. It's safer than getting hung up and blowing your race. so line up a little further back from the gate...premis practically spends every day of his life around pros....Im sure he knows a thing or two

liljhall09
03-28-2009, 01:08 PM
can someone explain , when the quad riders stay low when there jumping ? Does it help alot ?

03-28-2009, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by liljhall09
can someone explain , when the quad riders stay low when there jumping ? Does it help alot ?

Scrubbing jumps will make it so you have less air time and more time with the wheels on the ground.

liljhall09
03-28-2009, 01:35 PM
ya like i know that , but it didn't really look like a srub , they just stay real low ?

motofreak2772
03-28-2009, 02:30 PM
Its probably cuz they just attempted to scrub so they are still in that position but it could just be how they feel comfortable in the air. If your asking about aerodynamics lol i dont think it would help much.

KXRida
03-28-2009, 08:24 PM
Originally posted by Warnerade
so line up a little further back from the gate...premis practically spends every day of his life around pros....Im sure he knows a thing or two

Not saying that he's wrong, but almost every mx school I've seen/attended/heard said to not go by the pin.

The one and only time I went by the pin, I ended up wrapped up in the gate haha :p It wasn't fun. One thing I have felt that I improved on was starts. Lots of practice is what I owe it to.

FHKracingZ
03-28-2009, 11:41 PM
Acually the part about scrubbing is not staying lower, well part of it is but the main part is being able to stay on the gas that much long coming up to the jump and just soaking it up so you dont over shoot..

Scrubbing just takes time to learn how to do, I drag my front brakes up the faces of jumps to scrub, works wonder just make sure you let go of the brake before you leave the face! lol

But as far as racing goes, just practice practice practice. Have fun with it and go at your own pace, it will eventually come to you! have fun and be safe! :D