PDA

View Full Version : Online classes?

ZeroLogic
03-23-2009, 06:57 PM
I was looking at some online college courses. I was throwing around the idea due to the fact that I work full time, 8am-5pm Mon-Friday and really can't drive to schools and what not. I just wanted to take the general courses (math, english ect ect) then later on major in Civil Engineering. I have my nights mostly free so I'd figure I'd work on the paper work and whatnot then. Any input or recommendations? I also can't find a online school that will teach general studies also.

Any input would be great. Thanks!

AbnMP13
03-24-2009, 10:16 AM
University of Phoenix. Got damn near my entire degree online thru them, accelerated classes so they finish like two weeks before most colleges.

Good school, good counselors only bad thing is $250 per semester hour.

If you are worried about the online thing then take a class in a subject you somewhat enjoy. I spent 4 hours per week on my classes and stayed up with my studies. Takes a bit more discipline but it worked for me.

Central Texas College is a well known online college too.

ZeroLogic
03-24-2009, 06:01 PM
Thanks bud. I talked to a person from the University of Phoenix and she pretty much explained it to me. How do jobs look at the online classes? Do they look down? Do ya learn as much as going to the school?

AbnMP13
03-24-2009, 06:16 PM
Dunno about the jobs, I got my degree from them and still have another year before I can retire from the Army.

Uncle Sam paid for my degree! :D

CTC is cheaper but I was happy with the counselors/programs from Phoenix so I stayed with them.

3or4HONDA
03-24-2009, 06:33 PM
I work 40+ a week aswell and take online classes. i have taken them through a local community college and have done pretty well. i only take 1-3 classes a semester and its not bad. the only problem i have found is that some classes are much easier to understand and retain, in class than online, some things you just need to be lectured on, or at least i did. i think its a good idea though, and i heard kaplan is another good online university.

WKY400EX
03-25-2009, 01:20 PM
The only thing about online classes, is that they take extra discipline. You have to make yourself get online and do the work. They're great if you can do that. Just make sure to stay up on your work. It's easy to put off your work or forget when life gets busy.