PDA

View Full Version : truck guys.....truck camper question

Alberta_Qaudin
03-23-2009, 05:19 PM
ok so i bought a truck camper this weekend so i can have the amenities and still pull my boat....the camper is in the area of 2200 lbs i figure, and the pay load on my truck is 1800, i will be air bagging the back.....but the question is i was told that payload really doesn't mean anything with something like a truck camper because it gets strapped to the frame but as i understand it pay load is what the axles, tire, brakes, ect. can handle. i'm actually a little unsure about weather my truck can handle the camper now

i know little about this ****, i know towing capability ect. but anyone give me any insight into this?

ZSK
03-23-2009, 07:24 PM
Flat bed, no bed, standard bed it doesn't really matter because the truck has to carry the weight somehow. If it's 2200 lbs dry, you don't have enough truck period. If you take the wheelers or your boat, the tounge weight from the trailer will be added onto your payload.

What's the current truck? Sounds like a newer half ton or much older 3/4.

Alberta_Qaudin
03-23-2009, 08:53 PM
ok well i found out i was off on weight apparently the guy figures its only in the area of 1700, i drive an 07' titan with an extra leaf, and with air bag i have been assured by a mechanic my truck will handle the weight with the addition of air bags

Motoracer13
03-23-2009, 10:27 PM
Payload isn't just springs, but also tires, brakes, engine/transmission cooling, and axle strenth. You could put solid blocks of steal on instead of leaf springs to handle a huge load but you still have to start, stop, and turn!