PDA

View Full Version : dc trans mods for cvt

zach R 7x
03-23-2009, 05:13 PM
i have a question about the dc transmission mods for the cvt motor .

a friend of mine bought a motor that has one of these in it, and we pulled it a part sat. night at mill creek to check the gears and it seemed to be dragging like there was a bad bearing ,we pulled it a part and were kind of surprised with what we found . i do not understand the brass ring and seal deal , why not make it to fit ? just did not make sence to me ,we were told to coat it with red loctite and put it back in ! is this the way that these are designed ? or is this an old style that has been upgraded?

when we looked at the bearings and oil everything looked great, put it back together and and it still did not spin as free as it should have , is this normal?

i understand what this set up is supposed to do, but am not sure if it was installed right ,any help would be great......
thanks Tim

bulldogfallon
03-24-2009, 03:07 PM
This was "recently" installed by Dave Carter at his shop in a brand new case...so you may want to direct your question to him to get the best answer.

He may be able to shed light on his design and reason for it being made this way.

If it can be improved I am sure it will help everyone that uses this upgrade...

zach R 7x
03-24-2009, 05:28 PM
thanks Gary,i think it 's a great idea and design ,and i understand what the purpose of it is.

i was thinking of getting it done to my motor,and wanted some feed back on it ,and to see if anybody else used it and had this problem .

sorry, if i sounded negative about the trans mod ,that wasn't what i was intending to do at all.

by the way Gary, that was one rippin motor you sold rick !!! they are very happy .

bulldogfallon
03-24-2009, 05:44 PM
Didn't take it that way...

Just didn't want a bunch of people speaking for Dave.

Anytime the creator of a product is available it is best to go to the source...

And all ideas can be improved upon....

zach R 7x
03-24-2009, 05:55 PM
no problem ,i will call DC this week and talk to him.

thanks TIM

bulldogfallon
03-24-2009, 06:03 PM
With a pilot like that it is easy to make us look good. :). :)

Glad it all worked out so well

03-24-2009, 06:43 PM
another way to fix the tranny problem like dave does is to install 2 hardened needle bearings side by side like the stock ones which is what we do and it works great

03-25-2009, 06:27 AM
another way to fix the tranny problem like dave does is to install 2 hardened needle bearings side by side like the stock ones which is what we do and it works great

raidernut
03-25-2009, 08:21 PM
If you get an answer from Dave be sure to post. I have had the bushing come out 4 seperate times, as well as the hardened sleeve has come loose twice. this is in two seperate bikes. If there is a fix, i would sure like to hear about it.