PDA

View Full Version : Ringing Noise

nailbender
03-23-2009, 02:27 PM
I am new to the ex's so any help would be appreciated. I have a strange ringing noise coming from the motor or that area. It sounds like a loose bolt and the washer vibrating. The noise is only when its running. It runs fine too

Dathon Lawler
03-23-2009, 03:02 PM
tell me more and i can help you more! left, right side of the motor? front, back, top? swing arm? sound external or internal?
any mods been done to it.

nailbender
03-23-2009, 03:14 PM
I dont think its anything in the chassis. I have rolled it around lifted and dropped front and rear. I even coasted down a pretty big hill and a small jump without it running and no noise. I think its coming from the right side of the motor. I had all the plastic off last weekend and couldnt find a loose bolt anywhere.

jcs003
03-23-2009, 03:19 PM
maybe crank bearing.

Sanddraging28
03-24-2009, 12:24 PM
might be a clutch bolt and spring loose

BossHogg420
03-24-2009, 07:03 PM
check your heat shield mine was lose a couple weeks ago and i thought my motor was gonna blow

Originally posted by Sanddraging28
might be a clutch bolt and spring loose

honda400-4-ever
03-24-2009, 07:13 PM
same here it sounded like a bolt was mashing with the piston but comes to find out the bolts that hold on my heat shield were stripped

Dathon Lawler
03-25-2009, 10:37 AM
first i would look for any ANY oil residue around the "ANWHERE" i have thought hard about this one. you may want to just take off the rocker top so you could look at the cam and all the surfaces. is this getting worse with engine rpm? under heavy load? only heavy load? what's the tendencies? i had a churping noise under hard acceleration and turned out the head stud had came loose along with a rocker top bolt that allowed the cam to jump around a little bit and the chain was also rubbing against the side. so i was dealing with a few different noises. one other thought.....get it warm and try to move the exhaust around. around the head. maybe something there. but all in all. get the top of the motor checked out. you can usually find out everything from there. check valve clearances as well. but do the valve check before you take the rocker cover off.

nailbender
03-25-2009, 06:27 PM
I know its not heat shields because I dont have any. I have a full Sparks exhuast on it. I noticed it at the end of the day last time I rode. I'll get it warmed up tomorrow after work and try to get a better idea what and when it is. Man, I really appreciate the help from you guys.
Thanks

03-25-2009, 08:01 PM
what about skid plates? at a certain RPM a lot of them will hit the right note and match the motor vibrating. Kinda funny.

Ludicrous Speed
03-25-2009, 08:25 PM
There was a clip that has something to do with my nerfs on the foot peg that was rattling and ringing driving me nuts till I found it

Exrider434
03-25-2009, 08:29 PM
Originally posted by FlewByU352
what about skid plates? at a certain RPM a lot of them will hit the right note and match the motor vibrating. Kinda funny.

Mine used to do that everytime i got to right around half throttle, it absolutely annoyed the piss outta me, i put some rubber strips along where it touches on the frame and its alll good now!

n811
03-26-2009, 08:03 AM
I also had to track down a ring. Turns out mine was from the air shroud bolts getting loose. Sounded for the life of me it was my motor blowing!