PDA

View Full Version : Rear linkage questions/problems..

screaminta
03-23-2009, 10:51 AM
So yesterday I removed my front and rear shocks to get a derisi rebuild kit on them. I was checking out the rear and I noticed this issue. Without the rear shock connected and no linkage, I have full travel all the way up to where it would hit my airbox. When I connect the linkage with no shock, I do not have full travel, and it stops somewhere before the airbox will hit. I noticed that the dogbone, and the piece that connects to the frame will get to be perfectly straight and then stop travel. Is this normal? I was wondering because I was having some issues with my rear shock packing up then i get bouncing back and forth on whoops, and I know its sprung for a heavier rider thats the rebuild/revalve part. Could this be an underlying issue though?, is it normal? Let me know...thanks

05LSR250R
03-23-2009, 10:55 AM
Measure the dog bone part from center of eye to center of eye.
What year bike are you talkin about?

screaminta
03-23-2009, 12:24 PM
the frame is an 86, not sure of dogbone, thought it was the same. Also how long should the shock be? thanks

05LSR250R
03-23-2009, 12:43 PM
I dont know the length of an 86 rear shock, my quad has the 88/89 style rear with standard link.

The reason I ask about the dogbone is that there are two different sizes of them.

Honda 250r 001
03-23-2009, 12:52 PM
sort of confusing. there is a shock bumper that takes up some space that should be on your shock if that helps any. Your swinger should not hit your airbox with the shock installed.

screaminta
03-23-2009, 01:55 PM
no no, sorry if I was confusing you guys. The only way it hit my airbox was if nothing was connected, only the pivot at the frame. It i connected the linkages it would not travel to the airbox, the two linkages would fully extend and limit the travel, I was just wondering if that was normal or not.

05LSR250R
03-23-2009, 03:07 PM
Originally posted by screaminta
no no, sorry if I was confusing you guys. The only way it hit my airbox was if nothing was connected, only the pivot at the frame. It i connected the linkages it would not travel to the airbox, the two linkages would fully extend and limit the travel, I was just wondering if that was normal or not.

Depends how much its being limited I guess!

How far is it from the airbox when it stops?

screaminta
03-23-2009, 05:07 PM
hmm...not sure I'll have to measure about the distance. I was wondering though, since there are only two different length dogbones. If I have the longer one it should be ok, and if I have the shorter one, the longer one should correct the issue right? Unless my swinger wasn't designed for the original linkage? What do you all think?

Another reason I had a concern was that I have seen people smash their silencer with the rear caliper, and the setup I have would never come near that...