PDA

View Full Version : YFZ stroker problems - HELP ME!!

sosbe
03-23-2009, 07:46 AM
I have a 2005 yfz 450 that I recently decided to do some motor work to. I sent the case off Sparks racing to have the oil mod performed. I put a +3 mm hot rods crank with a CP High Compression full race piston. All new bearings and seals and o-rings along with a new shift drum.
I had it together 2 weeks ago and it ran good - besides the fact I didn't have neutral. So I pulled it back apart and replaced the shift drum and it took care of the problem. I put it in and now when I crank it over it is VERY sluggish. I replaced the battery and it does the same thing. When I pull the spark plug out it snaps it right over with no problem.
I decided to pull start it and it does run, but won't idle, like it wants to seize up. When I pulled the head cover off, there were all kinds of rubber shavings from the timing chain slides, like it had too much tension. So I loosened it up, no change. I am stuck and am on the virge of taking it to the yamaha dealer. Does anyone have any suggestions? Is it just too much compression? Why did it run fine 2 weeks ago, but not now. Everything is done by the book. Please help if u have any suggestions.

dtzalba450r
03-23-2009, 02:57 PM
the rubber shavings come from a starved (lack of oil for lubricating) top-end. did you put oil over the timing chain, cam covers and cams before start up or even bleed the oil line before you ran her? what about the cam caps what tq spec'd did you use on them? finally the valve lash and timing on the cams?

sosbe
03-23-2009, 03:23 PM
I went by the book on everything but bleeding the line. I doused everything in oil - before assembly and after. Sorry, dont think its due to lack of lubrication. Even if it was, after one revolution of the chain through the oil bath lubrication would be there. As I was cranking on it, I could see the oil running over the cams and on the chain. Torque specs on the cam covers are 8 nm. Ive been going by the Yamaha service manual on everything.
Besides that - explain to me bleeding the oil line.

Jason Hall
03-29-2009, 04:27 PM
Did you back the timing chain tensioner off before Installing It. If not, that would explain why the slide's would get tore up. Too much tension on the chain!!

440exnacsracer
03-30-2009, 09:16 PM
as far as the shavings, the only thing i can figure is you didnt release the chain tensioner or there is a misaligned chain guide. this still doesnt explain the sluggish starting though, as there shouldnt be enough resistance to slow the starter that much. i would be concerned that some of the shavings worked there way into the oil passages and now the motor is starved for oil. on the very first start after assymbly was is sluggish, or did it get more sluggish on the next start?

sosbe
03-31-2009, 03:38 PM
Hey guys, thanks for the input. I wound up figuring out on my own, and it was two things. My tensioner was WAY too tight. I backed it off and it took care of that problem. The other problem was my timing, pretty sure the exhaust cam was retarded, or it was just me. Haha all I did was checked the timing and it was dead on where I thought it was supposed to be. But to eliminate any question I went both ways one tooth on both cams and it did the same thing. So, I adjusted it one last time thinking I put it right back where it was to start, and next thing I knew it was running with no issues.