PDA

View Full Version : strange spark plug??

Alberta_Qaudin
03-22-2009, 08:57 PM
i have a 3cylinder out board in my boat, and i had it serviced the other month and the guy gave the a spark plug he used and had one extra from the packs, the spark plug was flat on the end, i dont have a pic right now but will get one, where you usually have the "hook" i guess on the end it was completely flat, is this usual for out boards??? i've never seen on before

ZeroLogic
03-22-2009, 08:58 PM
Seen a lot of boat motors use that type of plug. A guy I work with showed me one, they are weird as ****.:p

Alberta_Qaudin
03-22-2009, 09:07 PM
it threw me off, he gave me the spare and i never really looked at it, then when i did i thought wtf.....but he assured me its whats spec'd for the motor....i dunno just never saw one before

xrxmxcx
03-23-2009, 07:17 AM
Yes this is common for outboards, and very popular on Mercury V-6's/Inline 6's/3 Cylinder. I am a Mercury outboard technician and these are considered "surface gap" plugs. The idea is a wider range of spark/burn pattern.

If I am correct you have BUHW/BUHW-2's in your motor?

What do you have for an outboard? Mercury 75/90?

Alberta_Qaudin
03-23-2009, 09:49 AM
I've got a mid 80's 70hp merc. (that runs like new) and yes they are BUHW NGK, what ever the hell that is....lol

thanks a lot for the reassurance, i've never seen these before and was wondering if the guy who did my fall tune up and maintenance knew what he was doing.

also well on the topic and having a merc. tech reading this, apparently when he changed them out there were 3 different types of plug in it, he was telling my this would have been effecting my performance is this true, i just got this boat and motor just over a year ago and its run flawlessly for me, so if that was effecting my performance i am excited to see what the little f'er will do now

pic of boat and motor

xrxmxcx
03-24-2009, 07:36 AM
Gotta' love boating, our season is almost here. Now let the fun begin at work!

Here's the latest project, my "missile". 17' Checkmate Sportfire, XR4 Mercury V6, 4" Jack

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d177/xrxmxcx/1218419444.jpg