PDA

View Full Version : rear brake problem

BassHunter0123
03-22-2009, 07:57 PM
i have recently replaced my rear brake pads. they have started making wierds sounds and looks like only the left side pad is touchng the rotor. any suggestions on whats going on?

BlasterEaten250
03-22-2009, 08:05 PM
Try greasing the slider bolts.

Ludicrous Speed
03-22-2009, 08:24 PM
I am having this problem with my front right caliper.

I took the black plug out and found an allen bolt, sprayed some PZB in it and let it soak, and unscrewed it. But it never came all the way out, just enough to take the caliper mount off.

How does it slide??

I tapped it back and forth with a hammer and block of wood trying to loosen it, and it seems to have worked, the front wheel spins free now.

I go to the shop tomorrow to get the three orings for the rear caliper rebuild......:rolleyes:

BassHunter0123
03-24-2009, 02:31 PM
im looking at my brakes and looks like the right side has already burnt all the way to the metal and only the left side has some pad left. why would this happen? thanks for any thought they were brand new ebc pads

crxjarred
03-24-2009, 03:01 PM
do u have ur parken break still on that caused myn to wear like that

BassHunter0123
03-24-2009, 03:15 PM
nope my parking brake doesnt work anyway. i guess ill get new pads and see if it happens again then i will have to get a new caliper?????

Ludicrous Speed
03-24-2009, 04:20 PM
Like was said in the first reply, the caliper is stuck on the pin it slides on. It has to be able to slide in order to be able to center itself over the rotor. If it is to one side or the other, it will wear one pad before the other

Young_Gun1
03-25-2009, 08:20 AM
besides that rear pads just get eaten up on my quad probably just the conditions you ride in or maybe a weak spring on your brake lever

honda400ex2003
03-25-2009, 03:21 PM
mine did the same with the parking brake. It wore my pads out fast so I jsut screwed teh bolt out enough for it not to work. I took the cable off later and just left it like that no matter where it goes it will never get too tight and wear the pad out. now when I tighten it down or something I just put it in 1st gear and then pull the straps at the front to get it tight withth chain then do the back to get the pressure off of the chain. steve

BassHunter0123
03-26-2009, 06:12 PM
well im still kind of confused on what to do from here. just dont understand why one side would get eaten up in like 3 rides. its a very low hour bike and basically only been rode for a year. should i get new pads and lube everything up and try it again? replace caliper? thanks for any suggestions

honda400ex2003
03-26-2009, 06:18 PM
on mine the bolt was in too far so the pad would rub all the time, then when you hit the brakes it would move the pad close again and start wearing it out all over again until it would be gone. Try to loosen it up for a month and see if it helps. That is the most likely cause of the premature brake wear. otherwise it is getting stuck somewhere and not releasing properly. Lube it and try again with it loose and all. what kind of pads did you buy anyway? sintered metal or severe duty or cheapo or what we some info on that too. thanks steve

Ludicrous Speed
03-26-2009, 06:30 PM
Try hitting hit with a hammer:rolleyes:

BassHunter0123
03-26-2009, 06:36 PM
ebc severe duty. what bolt dot you mean was in to far? sorry dont know much about it. im going to get another set of pads and try again them ill hit it with a hammer if it happens again!!!

honda400ex2003
03-26-2009, 07:35 PM
To get the parking brake to work the bolt in the middle has to be screwed in. Turn it out to loosen it up.
pic and info (http://www.bikebandit.com/houseofmotorcycles/honda-atv-trx400ex-fourtrax-ex-2003/o/m2661)
go to the rear brake caliper then it is number 25 in the caliper. Loosen it up enough so that when you apply teh parking brake it does not work at all. That is what I did other than that I don't know what you can do except oil it all good and see what happens. good luck steve

BassHunter0123
03-26-2009, 07:45 PM
alright im gonna try that. thanks for helping. ill let ya know what happens.

honda400ex2003
03-26-2009, 08:43 PM
no prob good luck, steve

Dathon Lawler
03-27-2009, 04:03 PM
ludicrous speed is saying it right. and honda400ex03 is explaining an additional issue.
issue #1
there are two different bolts the bracket slides on.
1. is an allen head bolt. which is most likely the one that is froze
2. this one you can't get to unless you remove the bracket. and this bolt doesn't have a head showing. it has the brake pad indicator tab sticking out next to it.
back to bolt #1. take it out to clean the inside of caliper. lube it up or you'll junk your dust seals. i took off the whole caliper and put it carefully into a vise and drove out the bolt with a punch. don't damage those threads. once you get that bolt out you will see how it all functions. take the bolt to the wire wheel and clean it up. grease it up.
2. this one is simple. spray degreaser in it and clean out all the old grease and pack in new grease.
you should have a healthy caliper at this point.
one of the things i do is...anti-sieze on the brake pad sliders just for a little more assurance. gl.

Ludicrous Speed
03-27-2009, 06:53 PM
Originally posted by Ludicrous Speed
Try hitting hit with a hammer:rolleyes:

I was being sarcastic. You were not reading what the problem was, you were concerned with the emergency brake, which was not the root cause.

Dathon has explained it perfectly for you, listen to him.

honda400ex2003
03-27-2009, 09:08 PM
yup, steve

BassHunter0123
03-28-2009, 11:49 AM
Well i went to the store today and got new pads. i told the dude thier what was going on and he said i needed to bleed my brakes and replace my fluid. i think he was just trying to sell me some brake fluid. i got the new pads installed today and took the caliper apart and lubed a few things up. the plate that coltrols the right side i can move easily when tore apart. we will see what happens