PDA

View Full Version : Tire chains

killed300ex
12-28-2002, 11:20 AM
ok i wanna put a set of chains on my 300ex. IM wondering if anyone has chains for a 12.5 inch wide tire i got 22 inch spider tracs which are 12.5 inchs wide. Im wondering if they have them that i cna buy or not even if i have to buy car tire chains and cut them down id do it. casue my friend jsut put it on his 400 and they make a world of diferance. and right now i have the on my holshots and they are only 11inchs wide and they barly fit. so im owndering if anyone knows were i can buy them for 22inch tires in 12.5 inch width. Cause if i cant find them im gonna build them lol. i dont think it would be that hard just get all the chain cut it to the right length then attach it all together id use the split links you use to repaire broken chains to attach the middle sections of chain to the outer chains then use a caribeaner type thing to atach the two outer chains. THe type of caribeaner that you screw together. yes ther would be some play but then i would wire the inside of the chains together like over the rims area. Does anyone think this would work? Id definitly rather buy them than make them but will do it either way

killed

12-28-2002, 02:38 PM
they have them in the JL catolog

killed300ex
12-29-2002, 12:05 PM
well i loked in the jl catalog not the right sizes so i am deciding to just build my own lol i got afew pics tell my what u think i just bought a lil bit of everything i need gotta go back and buy the rest. Here are a couple of pics tel me what you think...

killed300ex
12-29-2002, 12:06 PM
.... close up of the type of chain im useing

killed300ex
12-29-2002, 12:07 PM
and the way im connecting it to eachother this one is jsut loosly togethger i still have to compress the link but i wnat to get the rest of the chain and not wast this stuff.
killed

killed300ex
12-29-2002, 12:11 PM
here is my desighn im planing on 10 rings that go over the tire. Each middle section that goes over the tire is gonna be a total of 18 inchs wide i have 12.5 inch wide tires so i wanted enought to make sure it stays on the tire i figure it will be about 2 3/4 inch over lap on the side of the tire. Its gonna take my a lil while to make this but i think they should come together pretty good. IM gessing its gonna take me about 40 ft of chian to make 2 sets of tire chains ! when i did the math i was quite surprised thats alot of chain but hey whatever should be geting the rest of the materials tuesday give me somehting to do new years day when im semiconsious lol
killed
Lets hear what you think of this setup will it work or not?

killed300ex
12-29-2002, 12:34 PM
also anyone have any ides on how to connect the two ends of chain?
kileld

KrazyKid300ex
12-29-2002, 05:06 PM
i will not work if you over lap to say where it is by the sidewall. you want it to stop right at the edge of the tire.so it fits in the tread. the chain you have is big cuz ive seen smaller chains on peoples tires but it looks like it will work good.

JabberJaw
12-29-2002, 05:31 PM
Those chains are great...and during the summer... you can use em in the bedroom.

killed300ex
12-29-2002, 05:50 PM
Originally posted by bmw500hp
hey 300

hey 300... when ya get your chain building refined...and you get all the bugs worked out... I would like you to take your cost and add a profit for yourself and build a set for me....

I work for my father and he laughs because they use forman 450 in the mud and sometimes i have a problem...i am also gonna use the realtors... Build 3 sets man.. and sell me one will help pay for yours....I want to probe those yeahoos wrong!! about race quads...

Let me know how much you need.....I ask you cause i know you will do a good job....call me at 304-842-2936 i will send you a money order right away....

mike
joesflies@aol.com

Ill consider it but it might be a lil while before i get it done and i want to fully test mine before i make any for sale becasue if im gonna sell something i dont want to sel somehting that isnt going to work or is going to break and ruin you fenders if it goes through it. So if it works out maybe ill make you some. Hve you lookind into buying a set it might be caeper i dont really know yet i should know tomorrow when i get the price of the chain and lil clips. When would you want these things buy cause if your not in a hurry i might be able to hook you up for just the cost. IM not inot making a huge profit i like doing these kind of project just to take up my time. So give me a month and ill get back to you on how they work and ill tell you a price within the next few days.
killed

bmw500hp
12-29-2002, 08:02 PM
That sounds real good...I will be using the same size tires as you...pm me when your ready...

killed300ex
12-30-2002, 05:30 AM
should have the price as sonn as a couple of hours and wont know if i will do it untill maybe after this weekend or next weekend
killed

killed300ex
12-30-2002, 01:24 PM
wel i just got the price of all the stuff i need to make the cahisn needless to say im prolly not gonna make them and you wouldnt want to buy a pair lol the chain i choose was extremly expensive at 60 bucks for 40 feet 1.50 a foot then the clips are .40$ each and i need 40 of those which is what like 16 bucks so your lookign at a base of 76 bucks that lik 2x the price of what you can buy them out of a catalog at. So unless i find that cahin cheaper im gonna try going without chains. :( i was kinda hoping ot be able to do it but i just dont have the 60 to spair right now ohh wel there is always next year or later this year
killed

bmw500hp
01-01-2003, 07:13 AM
Killer!

Locally, we buy used chains designed for small cars and modify them.. this is what I currently have. Unfortunately, even though they arent as expensive as a custom made set, they perform as what they are... a modified set of old chains.

But boy are they fun in the rough... man, you can rip up stuff like a log skidder.....ever see a log skidder do it's magic..???

If you feel you have built the "ultimate set" I will buy em and try em!

HiperEX
01-01-2003, 01:48 PM
i think u would be better off just buying some i got some from moose from my dealer for 49$ i think there worth it there the v-bars

bmw500hp
01-01-2003, 02:41 PM
V-bars make all the difference, obviously.. you have a point..