PDA

View Full Version : hubs / spacers ? worth the money?

EXinMB
03-21-2009, 10:21 AM
hey im lookin into buying an axle or somethin to make my quad wider. Im probly not racing this year but i do lots of track riding and hard trails and just rougher style riding lots of jumping
im still on my stock 400ex axle but i am just wodering if wider hubs make any difference i know its not as strong as an aftermarket axle but do they help with stability and can i still jump?

Also for the front are running spacers good. i hear both good and bad i want width and dont wanna stop jumping?

I know lots are gonna say just buy an axle and a-arms and if money was no option i would but for now i just want some opinions on the hubs or spacers. And if anyone has any comments on the G-force axle from rocky mountain

03-21-2009, 11:08 AM
I bought a g-force not too long ago. I've been riding hard on it for 2 weeks now w/ no probs. You can find deals on a-arms too. I bought my housers + tie-rods off the classifieds for 250. It's worth the money making your bike wider. It's like a whole new beast.

bigbad400
03-21-2009, 11:20 AM
i love my new g force but i would recommend a dual row carrier as longer axle = more stress on your bearings, i found a good one with grease zirks in it on ebay for cheap. hubs are also bad on bearings, and they are not as strong as a solid axle. jumping would be risky buisiness on them, have you ever lost a wheel on a hard landing befor, my buddy has a plastic knee cap and pins in his femur from that, just buy the axle.

as for front def. wouldnt get spacers, there is no bearings that will last long with spacers on, if you want to be cheap but still add good width without adding stress to your bearings i would recommend to use the diamond j kit, its like $180 and you can get +3 inch kit or +6, the 6 inch one matches up good to the g force at full length. both around 51 inches outside to outside with 21-7-10's on front and 20-11-9's on back. i have had the kit now for a couple months and rode it quite a bit and i love it. jumps and all.

it will be more exspencive than hubs/spacers but in the long run theres gonna be alot less hours replacing wheel bearings and axle bearings, and with some 450r shocks up front it will handle and ride like a Cadillac.