PDA

View Full Version : choke removal ??????

Splashman
12-28-2002, 06:53 AM
I see a lot of people here with "no choke" under there modifacations list. What are the advantages of removing it? Being an EX owner I know they are useless but why spend the time taking it off?

Steve-o 400EX
12-28-2002, 07:24 AM
It is worth it, I took mine out and it increased throttle response a bit. If you look at the choke, you can see that it is pretty restrictive. All you need to do it get a 42 pilot jet and ur set. Mine starts without even pumping the throttle like some people do.

If you have any other questions just ask and i'll tell ya all I know.;)

Hey u live in pottstown PA, I live in lansdale! I go up to pottstown alot on friday nights and me and my friend cruise his 3000GT on High Street.

Splashman
12-28-2002, 07:31 AM
oh good ole high street :) I have a 01 600 Gixxer that sees High Street a lot in the summer. You ever ride up on the strip mines in Tamaqua? Its free, legal, and you can camp up there.
BTW Thanks for the info. I just bought a stage 2 jet kit for my **** so when I'm tearing into the carb to do that I'll take out the choke.

cals400ex
12-28-2002, 08:59 PM
i don't understand how your bikes start with the choke out. i have a modded airbox lid, 42 pilot, and one down on the needle(richer). mine does not start any better than it did with the stock pilot jet in. everyone tells me that their bikes start better than they used to with the choke in place. i noticed more of a difference by moving the clip down than i did with the 42 pilot jet. why am i having problems??? i also went up on the main jet but that doesn't really matter for starting the bike. i am using the dpr 8 z spark plug, which is the standard plug. the only thing i can think of is the air/fuel skrew may need to come out a bit to richen it up. how many turns out is your skrew? i have the 21 series pilot jet. this jet is longer and bigger than the stock one. i am assuming it is the right one. it just irritates me. suggestions would be great!!!

lilpoppy
12-28-2002, 09:03 PM
depending on how cold it is where you live you might want to go up even higher on your pilot jet. I did it to myne and it made a huge difference when i start it. It was alwase a hassle starting myne before and now it starts up instantly.

Davids440ex
12-29-2002, 01:22 AM
theres a forum like this is the faq i think do a search

Predator36
12-29-2002, 06:33 AM
Originally posted by cals400ex
i don't understand how your bikes start with the choke out.

The stock carb comes with an accelerator pump in it. If you pump the throtle a lot you can get the extra fuel that you need into the engine for cold starts. Just be carefull as too much fuel will foul the plug.

Steve-o 400EX
12-29-2002, 06:42 AM
Originally posted by cals400ex
i don't understand how your bikes start with the choke out. i have a modded airbox lid, 42 pilot, and one down on the needle(richer). mine does not start any better than it did with the stock pilot jet in. everyone tells me that their bikes start better than they used to with the choke in place. i noticed more of a difference by moving the clip down than i did with the 42 pilot jet. why am i having problems??? i also went up on the main jet but that doesn't really matter for starting the bike. i am using the dpr 8 z spark plug, which is the standard plug. the only thing i can think of is the air/fuel skrew may need to come out a bit to richen it up. how many turns out is your skrew? i have the 21 series pilot jet. this jet is longer and bigger than the stock one. i am assuming it is the right one. it just irritates me. suggestions would be great!!!

Try turning your air/fuel screw out 3 1/2 turns and go to a 45 pilot.

cals400ex
12-29-2002, 11:22 AM
thanks guys. i will try coming out on the skrew a little more. if that doesn't work i will try a 45 pilot. yeah i forgot to mention the accelerator pump. i always do pump the throttle a few times or the bike won't start.