View Full Version : Suspension Settings?

BEAVER.989
03-20-2009, 02:39 PM
I have a brand new, bone stock 400EX and am a little unsure about the suspension adjustments. For example, I don't know the difference between compression and rebound damping. :confused:

Where should I set this for a preliminary run? So far I've maxed out both settings on the rear shock, then backed out the top adjuster 1 full turn and the bottom adjuster 1 half turn. I next plan to set the front shocks on notches 4 out of 5.

Does this sound like a good place to start for someone 220lbs?

buster024
03-20-2009, 03:15 PM
Welcome to the forum, and the 400ex family.
The rebound setting determines how quickly the shocks bounce back to full length after compressing. The compression dictates how much pressure is required for the shock to compress.
The stock suspension is mostly junk. In fact, it's probably the worst stock part on the whole bike. The adjustments will do next to nothing in reality. I would be surprised if you really felt a difference at all.
If you are interested in customizing your bike, save your cash, and invest in some aftermarket shocks. The 400 is an awesome motor, but it's waaaaay to much for the stock shocks. Most everyone on this site will tell you to invest in aftermarket suspension first (after safety equipment) and foremost, prior to any engine upgrades.
Good luck!

BEAVER.989
03-20-2009, 03:19 PM
Thanks for the welcome and the advice.

I don't race, just pound trails and cannot afford any suspension upgrades for a little while. Should I just max out the stock settings for now?

beags86
03-20-2009, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by BEAVER.989
Thanks for the welcome and the advice.

I don't race, just pound trails and cannot afford any suspension upgrades for a little while. Should I just max out the stock settings for now?

like buster said you prob won't know the diffence in the settings, i messed around with mine, now i am in the middle. but i have have some stock 450r shocks i will be putting on real shortly. if you can save the money get some, cheapest way to upgade. i got mine for 160 shipped to my door