PDA

View Full Version : Swing arm bolt.

Slapasack
03-19-2009, 11:39 PM
Anyone know any tricks to getting the swingarm bolt out when its siezed up? Im almost to the point of trying to cut it out which i really dont wanna do but it will not budge. I put a bar against a support pole in my garage that went over the head of the bolt and against the frame and had my jack turned sideways up against the wall with a bar against the nut and end of bolt and tried to use the jack to push it out and it didnt move. At all. I've heard of anti-siezing compound but does that work while the bolt is still in the frame/motor/swingarm?

rob_990
03-20-2009, 04:41 AM
get some pb blaster and a torch

motox92
03-20-2009, 05:00 AM
What I did was put an impact gun on the oppsite side to see if i could get it to spin, sprayed it with pb used the gun again till i got it spinning freely...after I heated it up and beat it out...It was a pain but finally got it out =] Start looking for a new bolt

Slapasack
03-24-2009, 01:23 PM
ya i tried an impact gun also but i had kinda messed up the head of the bolt when i was using a breaker bar so the impact ended up just stripping it, i dont really wanna heat it up because its siezed up where it goes through the motor and i dont wanna crack the case

matt14c
03-24-2009, 01:34 PM
If you already stripped the head of the bolt I would just cut it out. Spinning it is a big help in getting it out. Maybe you could try to find narrow piece of steel that will fit in there then beat the heck out of it to pound it out. I took an old carbide from a snowmobile ski then cut the mounting points off and the curved ends so it was straight then used that. Its about a foot and half long so you can use it to pound the swinger bolt all the way. I welded an end on it so it looks like a giant nail. Works like a charm. But I take it out every year and use anti seize and it comes out fairly easily. The anit seize is for when you put the new one back in it isnt going to help you now.