PDA

View Full Version : Oil Plug on '01 Warrior

IcutMetl
03-19-2009, 09:03 PM
Hello everyone. My buddy and I were trying to change the oil on his Warrior the other day after it having sat for about 2 years. Couldn't get that f'in oversized aluminum plug to budge and I think he rounded off the hex. I tried using a punch & hammer on the outer diameter to get it loose, but that wouldn't even get it. He bought the wheeler new in '01, and has taken overall pretty damn good care of it; besides the motor alone being relatively reliable, that entire 4 wheeler is one giant overweight off balance pos.

Ogener
03-20-2009, 02:22 PM
When I had mine the drain plug was always pretty stuck, I always ended up standing it up on the rear grab bar so I could get a better grip on it. I'm not sure what you need to do though. Maybe a drill and a big easy out, or a torch to heat it up. sorry.

jcs003
03-22-2009, 08:21 AM
it has left handed threads if i remember from when i had a warrior. use a breaker bar to get it loose. they are way too heavy and have no bottom end power.

Ogener
03-22-2009, 09:57 PM
they are way too heavy and have no bottom end power.

Your warrior must have been messed up, every warrior I've ridden or heard of unless they were modified always had a ton of low end power and no top end.

jcs003
03-23-2009, 02:42 AM
Originally posted by Ogener
Your warrior must have been messed up, every warrior I've ridden or heard of unless they were modified always had a ton of low end power and no top end.

lol. you don't know what your talking about, i have a 250r, 400ex. i had a 96 warrior and 99 banshee and believe me i know what in saying. warrior has 22" wheels on it

keglassg
03-25-2009, 05:40 PM
dude warriors are nothing but torque, heavy yes though lol. and my warrior does not have 22's on it, ive got 18's and 20's for it and nothing but bottom end coming out of it. not so great on the top end though, little slow compared to some i think.

jcs003
03-25-2009, 05:56 PM
Originally posted by keglassg
dude warriors are nothing but torque, heavy yes though lol. and my warrior does not have 22's on it, ive got 18's and 20's for it and nothing but bottom end coming out of it. not so great on the top end though, little slow compared to some i think.

you put 18" tires on it. stock are 22". they have no bottom end. get a 400ex and ride that and you will know what low end power is.

keglassg
03-25-2009, 06:50 PM
my 400ex has a 440 and yes its got torque, but the warrior has long had the reputation of being a very torquey machine, its one of the few that has more torque than hp out of the factory. Get your numbers down buddy. then you can make fun of warriors all you want. opinions dont matter, numbers do and the warrior is not built to compete with the 400ex or any of the 400's for that matter so its not usually a good idea to compare. the warrior is what it is and that is "damn near bullit proof", its not built on the same performance platform as the 400ex either. its a sport/trail machine and the 400ex is a sport/race machine, two different ball games. both are great quads, both have ups and downs.

jcs003
03-26-2009, 02:42 AM
look at old issues of dirtwheels. there you will find definitive proof that the warrior is famous for having weak bottom end power.

as for the 400Ex, when it came out in 99 it was to get back into the sport ATV market and to compete against yamaha. the 400ex was to compete with warrior and brind reliability against the banshee.

the 300ex was losing sales for years against yamaha and honda stepped up. it did the same thing in the 80's against suzuki.

keglassg
03-26-2009, 12:31 PM
i dont buy that crap about dirt wheels saying that, because its just plain wrong dude. warriors have never been known to have weak bottom end, and never will dude. check the specs on the bore and stroke, it a torque machine and one of the few things that the warrior really has going for it.

jcs003
03-26-2009, 01:21 PM
well based on the boreXstroke specs its definitly a top end motor. my degree in mechanical engineering can confirm this. look at a dyno sheets and explain to me the area under the curve at low rpm. the power isnt noticable until the higher rpms. plus there is a dead spot in the mid range.

keglassg
03-26-2009, 01:58 PM
better ask for your money back on your engineering degree cause my physics degree and perosnal experience over the last 15 years of owning warriors says that they are slow on the top end, thats why yamaha had to add a 6th gear to them, so they could keep up a little better. You are a moron. I'm done talking to you about so say what you want from here on out.

jcs003
03-26-2009, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by keglassg
better ask for your money back on your engineering degree cause my physics degree and perosnal experience over the last 15 years of owning warriors says that they are slow on the top end, thats why yamaha had to add a 6th gear to them, so they could keep up a little better. You are a moron. I'm done talking to you about so say what you want from here on out.

whose the moron. they always had 6 gears. you must of got your physics degree over the phone.lol

check out these sites for specifications :

http://books.google.com/books?id=SJXffUnYK9wC&pg=PA6&lpg=PA6&dq=1987+yamaha+warrior+specs&source=bl&ots=rEeCnyS5KV&sig=7YoQc63ay-ZcYtqnlguPNq_zD_s&hl=en&ei=5OLLSfaFE4HmlQfE4ITqCQ&sa=X&oi=book_result&resnum=9&ct=result#PPP15,M1

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/outdoor/epic_atv/1987_warrior_small.aspx

here is the dyno sheet:

http://www.geocities.com/gtthunder.geo/testbed_set.html

jcs003
03-26-2009, 03:48 PM
more good stuff.

http://www.exriders.com/archive/topic/294545-1.html

read the thread, good info.

sonny77
03-31-2009, 06:23 PM
UM I JUST GOT A WARIOR SUN AND IT IS A 95 AND IT ONLY HAS 5 GEARS BUT IT HAS MORE LOW END THAN TOP END BY FAR

keglassg
03-31-2009, 07:31 PM
a 95 should def have 6 gears unless its got an 87 motor in it or your 6th gear just doesnt work lol. mines a 95 as well. get a good deal on it?

jcs003
04-04-2009, 05:57 PM
ALL YEARS HAVE SIX GEARS!!!

headache
04-06-2009, 11:09 AM
to get back on subject, you need to drill a hole in the plug and buy an ezy-out to get the plug out. I had a 2000 warrior and this happened to me and thats what i did. You can get a new plug a the yamaha shop for like 2 bucks and its made alot better than the original.

IcutMetl
04-06-2009, 11:20 AM
Thanks for the people that actually offered suggestions. My buddy ordered his new plug from the Yammie dealer, and we'll probably work on it this weekend. I figure we'll get it out one way or another, and destroy it in the process- so he bought a spare plug to begin with.