PDA

View Full Version : OEM clutch or EBC?

n811
03-19-2009, 08:57 PM
I feel that I have had excellent luck with the original clutch because its still stock and the quad is an 02'. The clutch doesn't seem to be slipping but I'm nervous it may be time to change them. SO, are the aftermarket kits as good as the original? The Honda kit is kinda expensive. Well from my dealer who wont budge on price.

Wheelie
03-19-2009, 08:59 PM
OEM steels and fibers are the only way to fly. Check out www.servicehonda.com for good prices.

n811
03-19-2009, 09:07 PM
Thanks I'll check it out.

honda400ex2003
03-19-2009, 09:18 PM
yup honda is the best but I have had my plates since the biginning of last summer and they are still working good with the 416. steve

NacsMXer
03-19-2009, 09:45 PM
OEM Honda is all I run, they will last the longest. Even better running them with an 8 plate setup ;)

honda400ex2003
03-19-2009, 10:01 PM
Do you just put the stocks in the hinson 8 plate basket? how do you get enough, or do you buy them seperately anyway? Sorry I? am not trying ot hyjack jsut wondering while I can ask someone. Steve

honda400ex2003
03-19-2009, 10:04 PM
oh and od you have trouble with you magura pulling far enough. Mine sucked when I put the new stuff in. It would not pull far enough then I would fix it and the plates would wear in some more and I would have to do it all again to get it to pull again. I got so aggravvated I jsut bought a asv perch and a new cable for it. I finally blew the seals on the end from sending the piston in too far on the slave cylinder. It sucked. Steve

Pipeless416
03-19-2009, 10:42 PM
i just put in a performance engineering clutch basket with an ebc clutch kit. even with the heavy duty springs, it seems to slip under hard throttle in the higher gears. i can't be happier with the basket, but i think the ebc kit may be better suited with a completely stock engine.

sc400ex_rider
03-20-2009, 06:22 AM
the 8 plate system uses 250r fibers there a little bit thinner than the stock ex ones. so when you put them in there you got room for 1 more = 8. i never did it though im still on my stock clutch.

honda400ex2003
03-20-2009, 07:59 AM
Cool thanks I was wondering what they use. Otherwise the hinson setup is quite a bit of money for the whole thing. Steve

NacsMXer
03-20-2009, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by honda400ex2003
Cool thanks I was wondering what they use. Otherwise the hinson setup is quite a bit of money for the whole thing. Steve

Yeah mine uses 250R fibers/steels but you can't just use them in a stock 400EX clutch even though they are thinner. You would have to machine the stock pressure plate for them to fit like the GT Thunder/Sparks 8 plate kits do. With the Hinson setup everything goes right in. Not sure if you can get the 8 plates to work in the stock clutch with just the Hinson pressure plate or if the whole combo is needed to run 8 plates since I run the complete setup.

And yes, i've learned that the Magura + 8 plate clutch is a no no. It was slowly slipping my previous clutch over time because the Magura doesn't pull enough for the 8 plates to disengage. Adjusting it you either have good pull to disengage the clutch (slips the clutch when it is engaged) or you have not enough pull to disengage the clutch (hard/notchy shifting). There is no in between.

The Magura is intended to work with a stock non-8 plate clutch apparently. I need to go back to a cable setup so I don't slowly wear out this new clutch I just installed in mine.

honda400ex2003
03-20-2009, 04:10 PM
mine is the tusk kit and it would not pull far enough. I have heavy duty springs too. I had the same problem with the magura no where inbetween. Thanks for the info guys, steve