PDA

View Full Version : Got Water in my AirBox... What should I do???

rideronthestorm
03-19-2009, 07:49 PM
I just went riding for the first time since changing my stock air filter to k&n highflow w/ outerwear and removing my airbox lid... When I got home I started washing my 4-wheeler not even thinking about it.., a few minutes into washing I realized that the airbox lid was removed and needless to say, there was about 2-3 inches of water sitting at the bottom of my airbox; the filter wasn't submerged other than maybe an inch or so... I immediately pulled the front end up and drained the water out... I didn't try starting it to prevent sucking any water in and dried the rest out w/ a blowdryer... How will I know if any water got into the engine, and what should I do if it did; also for future reference, is it ok to drill drainage holes at the bottom of the airbox to prevent this from happening again...?

powermadd400ex
03-19-2009, 07:54 PM
there should already be a hole at the bottom of the airbox with a little tube and a clamp at the bottom of the airbox. take those off and you should be good. that should save you from drilling.

honda400ex2003
03-19-2009, 08:03 PM
First drain the carb to make sure no water is in the bowl. There is a phillips on the bottom with a hose on it. Other than checking the oil to see if it made it to the bottom of the case, but otherwise, hit the button and see if it starts. It should if the filter is dry and the carb doesn't have any water in it. To let the water through just take the drain catch on the bottomm off and it will stay draining right through. I don't really know a good way to check and see if it has any in the chamber other than taking the plug out, turn the gas off and drain out the bottom, and turn it over and feel for water blowing out the top. You could take your header off too but even with a little water in it should start afte long enough. I have seen machines totally submerged that we stood up to drain the water out, turned it over a few times with it in the air and drained the carb. It fired right up and we drove it home. It was a rubicon. Good luck, steve

rideronthestorm
03-19-2009, 08:43 PM
Haven't had a chance to work on it yet... but thanx for the help...!

honda400ex2003
03-19-2009, 08:46 PM
no problem, steve

sc400ex_rider
03-20-2009, 06:36 AM
if you didnt try to start it there shouldnt be any water in the engine because of the big hump in the air filter to carb connection tube. what i did to combat this was drill a bunch of 1/2" holes in my airbox lid this really helps deflect any water during riding or cleanup. i dont ride deep mud but sometimes it gets a little crazy out there LOL. i will try to post a pic.
http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r20/starcraftier1/airbox.jpg

DavidH20109
03-20-2009, 10:57 PM
I have the same problem, for now I just stay outta the water. But I was thinking about getting a outwears airbox lid to use in conjunction with the outerwear prefilter and k&N.

honda400ex2003
03-20-2009, 11:00 PM
Did you try to start it yet? I was looking at a k and n lid too. Does anyone have any info on them? water wise and mud wise. Steve

bluetrx
03-21-2009, 05:09 PM
as was said it should just fire up since it wasnt running when you got water in the air box. if you ever hit water while riding and maybe its deeper than you thought so you take on some water, before you try to restart it, take out the spark plug and crank it a bit to force any water out of the cylinder. if water is in the cylinder and you try to crank it the water cant compress so either the rod bends, the head cracks, or the head gasket blows.