PDA

View Full Version : Did anyone read the GP Thunder exhaust shootout?

razer
12-27-2002, 11:40 PM
What's the deal with all those aftermarket exhaust guys? Are they all a bunch of phonies? Most of them wouldn't even participate, stating how they didn't trust dyno machines and prefered seat of the pants testing. I had no idea that the industry was like that. If I'm not mistaken, don't they advertise the performance of their product by touting horse power gains? If so, did they measure them on a dyno?

Am I missing something about the GT Thunder article? Anyone got a different take on the matter?

RIDER11X
12-27-2002, 11:42 PM
where is this article?:huh

razer
12-27-2002, 11:44 PM
http://www.geocities.com/gtthunder.geo/testbed_set.html

RIDER11X
12-28-2002, 12:06 AM
Originally posted by razer
What's the deal with all those aftermarket exhaust guys? Are they all a bunch of phonies? Most of them wouldn't even participate, stating how they didn't trust dyno machines and prefered seat of the pants testing. I had no idea that the industry was like that. If I'm not mistaken, don't they advertise the performance of their product by touting horse power gains? If so, did they measure them on a dyno?

Am I missing something about the GT Thunder article? Anyone got a different take on the matter?
where's the part about companies not being willing to participate?:huh

It does prove that duncan racing is right in saying that the 400ex will make peak hp at the stock rev limit.:)

razer
12-28-2002, 11:00 AM
where's the part about companies not being willing to participate?

I'm guessing you didn't read more than a sentence or two if you missed it. Anyway, here are a few quotes taken from the GT Thunder article to jog your memory.

1) Big Gun - "When first contacted Paul offered an exhaust for the shoot-out even before we asked. When we checked with them 3 weeks later Paul said they were behind on building the exhausts furthermore they sent several to magazines for testing so they would not participate in the shoot-out.

2) Yoshimura - When Scott first called Yosh he was told he needed to talk to Brent Russell. Scott left several messages for Brent Russell and sent a fax to him with the details on our Shoot-out. several weeks later he finally made contact with Mr. Russell who said that they would send an exhaust for the shoot-out. When no exhaust arrived Scott called them back and was told by Mr. Russell "I talked to Hi-torque publications about this shoot-out and have decided not to participate or send an exhaust".

3) Supertrapp - When Scott called Supertrapp Kathy answered the phone and was very "short" with him. Said he should fax the info and that he would need to talk to Aaron Olsen. Scott left a lot of messages for Mr. Olsen and not one was returned. After 4 weeks of this I called and the secretary said I would need to talk to Aaron Olsen and that he was not in the office.... He apologized for the trouble getting through to any one, said he would go check what was in stock that he could ship for the shoot-out and call me right back. He never called back. After 2 days I called back and he said that they would not be sending an exhaust as they were discontinuing the IDS silencer and had no interest in having it tested.

4) FMF -- "I sent they info he requested to him and tried to conntact him for two days. After 15 attempts and no return phone calls I did reach him and was told that they are not interested in participating as 1. Thier web site gets 2million hits a month comparred to our little site 2. They have discontinued their exhaust for the 400 and dont want it tested 3. They dont have a new exhaust for it yet."

5) Four Stroke Tech - didn't return any phone calls

6) Curtis Sparks - "Answering service said that she would give him the message and that they did not have a fax. Mr. Sparks called back and gave a fax number to send info to. Scott called back 3 weeks later but Mr. Sparks would never return a call."

7) TC Racing - "When initially contacted he said he would send an exhaust for the shoot-out but when contacted again he said he would send one later for testing. He said that he did not like dynos and wished that his exhaust be tested on a track for lap times or in drag racing."

8) DMC - Jim at DMC said we would need to talk to Jeff. We could never get him on the phone and he would never return any calls. Lauren Duncan told Scott that he didn’t like dynos and that he would never let his product be tested unless he is there to control the test. According to Glenn Hanson at ATV sport Lauren offered him a pipe to test as long as it was only tested by seat of the pants or with a radar gun and not on a dyno. Lauren also made a few comments about bad testing on a dyno in our area but did not explain who or what"

Only White Brothers sent an exhaust. Am I right in feeling these aftermarket exhaust makers are a bunch of charlatans? What do they base their claims on? Is it just a bunch of marketing adjectives and no real observable data? Do they do any type of scientific, measured testing or is all hot air?

What an eye opener this article was for me.

CC Rider
12-28-2002, 10:14 PM
Come on, are you kidding. I think it was completely obvious why most of the companies didn't participate. Who the **** or should I say what the **** is G thunder anyways and why are they worthy of a very scientific and technically intensive test. Did you not see their computer, it looked like it was from the early 90's. I think you should leave the (dynoing) hah, to the freaking experts who have the necessary funding and know how. Not to a couple of yahoo's with my grandma's computer.LOL Later:devil

TDBRPH
12-28-2002, 10:41 PM
CC Rider

Before you bash someone you should have some information......
GT thunder is a quality outfit and was simply trying to give some real info not some commercialized garbage that you read in the RAGAZINES... Lazarus @ GT Thunder has probably forgotten more about quads than you will ever know.....

Sorry for the outburst but why bash someone if you have no idea who or what you are talking about.......

Later

Triston

CC Rider
12-28-2002, 10:51 PM
OK OK, I guees I was a little out a line and not very educated on the "outfit". But why else would so many companies not respond.

TDBRPH
12-28-2002, 10:57 PM
CC,

Sorry to go off on you...... Big business, Heck all those companies are gonna sell pipes even if they dont send a pipe to the shootout.... So they dont want to risk the chance that their pipe wont live up to the claims they have made and published in every ATV Ragazine around the world. It just makes me think they arent as confident in their product as they should be if they were really that great. If you were selling a pipe that you felt was the best wouldnt you want to prove it.....

Peace

Triston

305exracer11
12-29-2002, 10:13 AM
im pretty sure that theres is no gt thunder any more it exoduscycles.com bc my friend is sponsered by them and he said that the owner change the name and moved.

lilpoppy
12-29-2002, 10:49 AM
The reason a lot of the companies won't send their pipes in is because they don't believe in the dynos. Meaning that a line on a piece of paper doesn't mean ****. The pipe with the highes numbers on a dyno isn't necessairily the best pipe. Some pipes do poorly on the dyno but give you more useable power than the ones that rated the highest. Just my .02

RIDER11X
12-29-2002, 04:46 PM
Originally posted by lilpoppy
The reason a lot of the companies won't send their pipes in is because they don't believe in the dynos. Meaning that a line on a piece of paper doesn't mean ****. The pipe with the highes numbers on a dyno isn't necessairily the best pipe. Some pipes do poorly on the dyno but give you more useable power than the ones that rated the highest. Just my .02

True, and pipes for most 4 stroke quads won't sell by posting dyno charts,because the actual gains are quite small on the dyno.
dirt wheels did a test on 400ex pipes and the best peak power gain was around 1.5 hp. but, these pipes had a 5 quad legnth lead on a stocker in a drag race. point is: 1.5 hp gain for $250 does not sell a large amount of pipes- 5 quad legnths lead does.:cool: