PDA

View Full Version : i need the info on the bulletins/recall

hotshotgoal30
03-19-2009, 03:37 PM
im sorry to start another topic but i went to my dealer and they couldnt find anything on the ECU update to increase the limp mode and rpms. can anyone tell me what to tell them to look under? cause obviously they have no clue. its at the shop now and i told them id get them the info. lol isnt it supposed to be the other way around?

TNT
03-19-2009, 07:13 PM
If they got the 09 BUDDS software it's suppose to be in there? 08 was 5500 RPM when the temp reached 108C, 09 upgrade is 8,000RPM @ 120C. If you just rec ride no biggy but if you race get it removed it's dangerous. Try BUDDS first let me know then we'll go from there.

hotshotgoal30
03-20-2009, 06:37 AM
im pretty sure they did update their budds while i was there and still found nothing. is there someting they can search or what. its stupid how they have no idea

Blizzard24
03-20-2009, 06:40 AM
it isnt an update or a recall, it is something you can ask them to do. Most dealerships are doing it for free, my dealer did it before I picked the quad up, they had no idea what I was talking about so they had to call Can Am.

DVS_Freestyler
03-20-2009, 12:03 PM
i was not aware they were doing this?? last years glen helen opener i had the race team do it to mine, didnt know they were going to have dealerships do it.. neato! :)

hotshotgoal30
03-24-2009, 01:37 PM
well i take back some of the things i said about my dealer. i guess the squeeky wheel gets the grease so they say. not only did they do the upgrades i was entitled to but they also called can-am about updating my clutch because it was just a bulletin meaning i had to pay for all the labor and parts. with some enticing and arguing can am finnally agreed to send the parts for the updated clutch woohooo. needless to say im a happy camper. i got my coolent leak fixed, the motor mounts fixed, the flywheel fixed and now my clutch. :D :D :D :D

dbkbushwacker
03-24-2009, 03:03 PM
I also did the clutch upgrade and only paid for the labor. The parts total was $1200. and $179 for labor.

TNT
03-24-2009, 03:17 PM
$1200, the bulletin only calls for 3 new parts....Hub, Cover, xtra plate. Why so much. :confused:

dbkbushwacker
03-24-2009, 04:53 PM
I don't know why so much but I'll get a part list when it's finished.

mebcop
03-24-2009, 07:25 PM
After sweet talking my dealer a little today, he finally agreed to call the can-am rep....

Dealer had been doing the "it's only a technical service bullitin, not a recall" thing, but he agreed to just call and talk to the rep...

About 15 minutes later he came out and said, "Well, I can't believe it, they'll pay for all the parts for both quads, you just have to pay labor, and I'll give you a good deal on that"!!!!

YAYYYYYY

I'm pretty happy with how Can-Am has handled my issues so far! More than can be said for my Predator, which WAS still in the warranty period, and Polaris told me to go pound salt when it grenaded!!! This was even after they admitted that a faulty chain was the cause! They handed me a new chain and said.... there. They said they weren't responsible for the damage the chain did!!!

hotshotgoal30
03-24-2009, 07:47 PM
ha ha that makes 2 of us happy today. i guess a little complasining goes along way. i hope this thread helps other people out, maybe they too can get it done like we did. can-am has been good to me. iv heard alot of people say the same thing. like mebcop said they are better than polaris when i had issues.

-hey mebcop check your box i got a question

crixal
03-24-2009, 08:35 PM
well, if they will do the same for me.. i'll be happy.. for now, lol. what did you dealer tell them, so i can have mine do the same???

dbkbushwacker
03-24-2009, 09:33 PM
My clutch just broke 2 weeks ago and I took it to the dealer. I told them about the bulletin and they said they'll call can am. My dealer called me back and told me can am will pay for the upgrade but I will have to pay the labor.

KrazyKeith
03-30-2009, 08:53 PM
Originally posted by hotshotgoal30
well i take back some of the things i said about my dealer. i guess the squeeky wheel gets the grease so they say. not only did they do the upgrades i was entitled to but they also called can-am about updating my clutch because it was just a bulletin meaning i had to pay for all the labor and parts. with some enticing and arguing can am finnally agreed to send the parts for the updated clutch woohooo. needless to say im a happy camper. i got my coolent leak fixed, the motor mounts fixed, the flywheel fixed and now my clutch. :D :D :D :D

I was reading about these ds 450's cuz the local dealer offered a real good deal on a 08 x while I was there today pickin up a 4wd for a freind but this post right here pretty much says it all. I bought 2 450r hondas new and never had 1 problem and dont expect any problems whatso ever on a brand new quad....this fellow up above here is a happy camper that he got everything fixed??? motor mounts? flywheel clutch problems, coolant leak? wow

joeyds450x
03-30-2009, 09:19 PM
Originally posted by KrazyKeith
I was reading about these ds 450's cuz the local dealer offered a real good deal on a 08 x while I was there today pickin up a 4wd for a freind but this post right here pretty much says it all. I bought 2 450r hondas new and never had 1 problem and dont expect any problems whatso ever on a brand new quad....this fellow up above here is a happy camper that he got everything fixed??? motor mounts? flywheel clutch problems, coolant leak? wow

you gotta remember its a first year bike though.... but i do agree with you im not happy that im having some of these problems, and i shouldnt have to pay to have them fixed when i havnt barely rode the quad in months!

HOBS DS450
03-30-2009, 10:07 PM
Originally posted by dbkbushwacker
My clutch just broke 2 weeks ago and I took it to the dealer. I told them about the bulletin and they said they'll call can am. My dealer called me back and told me can am will pay for the upgrade but I will have to pay the labor.

Who's your dealer?

dbkbushwacker
03-30-2009, 10:12 PM
Originally posted by HOBS DS450
Who's your dealer?

Metro Motorsports

hotshotgoal30
03-31-2009, 06:48 AM
alright guys let me explain. iv said this before but ill say it again. yes i was a happy camper. for the fact that they fixed it, if you knew my dealer youd be happy too. and for the fact that i didnt have to pay for the clutch parts.

now what kinda spins my anger wheel is that everyone is so damn quick to jump down the throats of the DS450 when something is wrong. the hype about this machine was so great before they were made that everyone expected a perfect machine. ill be the first to admit its not perfect. and if you can go buy a perfect machine let me know where cause ill be right behind you in line. now lets take into consideration that people can say "oh the fyzr doesnt have problems yet and its a new production machine" well not really. the yfzr is an updated machine. yamaha has had time to fix its mistakes and realize what they need to do better because of the original yfzs. the DS450 is completly brand new. no prior models nothing. built from the ground up with nothing to go on. thats where this difference is. give them 5 years you might see a close to perfect machine in my opinion. i mean look at the raptors when they first came out. they had their problems too trannys and all. i dont care what company it is any machine that is built truly from the ground up is going to have unforseen problems. same goes for automobiles. isnt that why they say never buy a first year production truck? i mean common lets give them a break. give them some time, yamaha had what 5 years on the original yfz and now has updated it? so in 5 years from now the DS will more than likely be at the top of the list. i mean considering all the research and time spent can am built a hell of a first year quad.

TNT
03-31-2009, 07:33 AM
My I have had so many YAM problems since 04, owned two past five years. Tonight we are replacing a oil gear in our practice quad that blew last week, shaving's all in our motor bottom, done! First year nothing but problems, electrical mainly, had to redo the harness get rid of the battery, relays, etc, frame too junk needs all kinds of gussets and still cracks...….Week before that seat came off, broke at the back latch on a jump sprained the wrist, out two weeks no racing. We have traveld many, many, miles just for YAM break downs, out from racing weeks at a time too. Non stop problems since 04. Tomorrow we HOPE to get a 8 lap practice moto out of it and it makes it through a race this weekend, we have very little OEM on it all 90% aftermarket, it's the 10% OEM oil gear, seat like stuff that fails. Decided no high compression piston on YAMs…lol! I have a 05 left $20K recently rebuilt YAM I can't get $3k for. I would never buy a 04-08 YAM no way! I buy a 08 DS before that. Lucky we had another motor this is the 3rd time blowing an oil gear in the past three years. YAM has good expensive unreliable power tho...I know of many more that ran YAM now out of them, done! IMO YAM was junk! Needed a complete overhaul, if they used any of the 04-08 parts trouble! Hons seem to be the most reliable but they are becoming quickly outdated and depreciating fast. I'm so looking forward to getting the DS done soon!

TNT
03-31-2009, 07:38 AM
You know whats interesting I guesses I'd spend more money maintaining an old YAM this year as a practice quad had I just purchased a second DS, 08 even and I am prooving myself right and it's only the end of march. I'm about ready to drive it off a cliff! If it breaks again tomorrow I will!! :mad:

mhill157
03-31-2009, 06:22 PM
Tnt put insurance on it first.

I had a Honda 450r for 4 years and always missed at least 2 weeks a year do to the crank going. I can't afford a race and a practice quad so it made it really miserable trying to get practice in before a race. You did not want to ride because you were afraid to break down.

The DS on the other hand has been awesome, no break downs yet. That is after 1 year, (watch the pressure washer around the electrical system). The most down time was waiting for the aftermarket to finish testing on parts so they could ship them out. (Thanks Houser Racing, Rpm, and Fox Shox, your customer service was great.)

joeyds450x
04-01-2009, 12:22 PM
i called today about the clutch and they said there was nothing wrong with it, he told me he looked it up and he found no recall or bullitin on it :mad: i guess ill just wait till it shatters and theyll have one pi$$ed off costomer!

MarcM
04-10-2009, 12:51 AM
My Clutch was squealing when first started up for about 3 minutes in first gear only. I called a few dealers and found one I was comfortable with (works on lots on brp/rotax engines).

I told them about the service bulletin for the clutch. He called back two days later and said they could get the parts and do the labor for free (I am still under warranty). He said they need to build a little log or "history" of the problem, to help get parts from Can-Am/BRP.

I recommend calling any dealer within 100 miles. Find one with a history of working on BRP Engines. Email them the service bulletin from this forum while you are on the phone with them.

mxmama
04-10-2009, 08:36 PM
MarcM....that is what I did. I called my dealer and they knew nothing about any service recalls. I went to the dealership and asked them to look on this forum for the service bulletins. That was the first he had heard about any of them. He checked into it and called me later and said they would fix it for me free.....