PDA

View Full Version : Sputter at 1/2 to 3/4 throttle??

wes350x
03-19-2009, 12:46 PM
Ive had this trouble for a while and it does this maily in 1-2 gear right before it goes into the powerband, but now I put my 310 Esr on I want it get this better. Any Ideas, Changed my needle from CEL to DGH as recommended by ESR. Called Tom today at ESR and said to go up on my main jet to a 182, try another carb if possible, check for ignition probs, and check my main seals. Anyone ever have this much trouble with this issue as I am having.

Settings: PWK A/S 38mm
178main
50 pilot
Clip DGH 2nd from top (tried every position so far)
Open filter with outerwear
Trinity pipe

86 Quad R
03-19-2009, 01:43 PM
try working the clip back down the needle a knotch at a time and see where that gets you. if no results try the "C" series needle and do the same proceedure.

dunatic
03-19-2009, 02:51 PM
test our your ignition system.

In both the clymers and factory manuals there is an oHms static test for both the stator and coil. follow the instructions thoroughly. If you have problems or further questions, post em up here or seek professional help locally with this one.

If both check out OK, then move on........

1. go to napa and get some dialectric grease and put a dab on every electrical connection you have. work the connections good by snapping and un-snapping the connections with the grease on them several times to ensure good penetration and clean contacts.

2. take the plug boot off the coil wire and cut about 1/4" off and re-install the boot (if and only if it fits tight onto the spark plug....if not, replace it)

3. replace your spark plug with a new NGK Br 8ES or Br 9ES (or equivilent expensive plug of your choice. Gap that plug to .018" and install. The "R" (resistor type) plugs make better power on our bikes. It will run and run fine with a standard non-resistor plug if thats all you can find locally.

4. Gap your stator pickup at the flywheel to the same .018". Rotate the crank around til the flywheel magnet is directly under the pickup. Use a "wire type" feeler guage, as the blade style will cause friction that may throw off your measurement. Now be careful here, there is no real adjustment, so you have to bend the pickup bracket slightly to acquire the correct distance. I use a solid piece of something (metal, wood, fiber, etc.)....but it's gotta be rigid enough not to flex when you smack it with a hammer. Now tap on the other end of this item while it's up against the pickup bracket. Measure twice, hit once ...... til you get to .018". Tighter is better than looser when it comes to electrical clearances here.

retest on the bike and let us know your outcome.

in rare instances the harmonic vibration at lower bike speeds will cause other parts to intermittently fail. if your spiting problem continues, try removing the kill/combo switch and key switch (if you still or ever had one)

wes350x
03-20-2009, 08:43 AM
Did alot of reading on here last night and alot of owners have had the same problem, only thing is they never post the solution.
HAve to work the next 3 days so Monday Im gonna go at it and check all the ohms and try a new carb, etc. And I will post an update..

EXtreme-
03-21-2009, 09:51 AM
pm'd ya

wes350x
03-23-2009, 01:58 PM
Did all my readings just now:

Ignition coil primary (0.1-0.3)-------------0.7
alternator exciter coil (50-250) -----------187
Pulse generator (50-200) -------------- 114

IGNITION COIL ( by itself) (0.1-0.3) ----0.7
Back of coil to cap (7-11) ---------------- 0
Back of coil w/o cap (3-5) -----------------0

COULD THE COIL BE BAD, WOULDNT IT NOT RUN IF 0 OHMS?

INFO GUYS?

dunatic
03-24-2009, 07:31 AM
zero would mean you have no resistance....a perfect connection or you have no connection.

that doesnt mean that electricity cant jump across the lost connection.

try a different coil if you have one.

wes350x
03-28-2009, 01:17 PM
I checked everything electrical, it was fine. cut many wires off the harness that were unnecessary and also removed the factory handlebar switch since I have a tether kill switch. But..... I changed the carb and WOW! It was all the diffrence, no sputter or hesitation. So I will order a new carb from ESR Monday. I have a 38mm A/S now but I may get the 39MM PWK for the increased top end. Thanks for everyone who helped me in relpying

Honda 250r 001
03-28-2009, 02:30 PM
check your reeds. and whats your plug look like. run the needle at the middle clip and run a bigger main. then try a smaller if it still dont work idk what the f uck man haha.

wes350x
03-28-2009, 03:33 PM
Got a DGH middle clip, 182 main, 50 pilot, runs great.

86 Quad R
03-30-2009, 06:38 AM
thinking back wes350x. you could very well have a carb that has a worn out "orfic" (the brass center section where the needle slides up en down) on it. it's not as uncommon as you would think. i've experienced this on more than one occassion. and in each case the carb couldnt be dialed worth a dayum.