PDA

View Full Version : LTZ 90 (My Thoughts)

POWERTRIPUTAH
03-19-2009, 10:06 AM
Alright, first off let me say that I did a lot of research on 90's before I bought this bike. I had decided on an older 2-Stroke Polaris or Suzuki, however i found a 2007 LTZ 90 for $1,100 and it was dang near brand new (no scuffs on fenders even).

First, what a great looking quad. It looks like a full size LTR450 when my boy is riding it.

My boy is 6 and 1/2, and on the aggressive rider scale he is a (7)

Mods:

Clutch Spacer
Get is out....makes a huge difference.

Intake
Nothing yet....open for suggestions.

Exhaust
Take out the baffle
Drill out the restrictor plate inside the muffler. Take a 6-8" long bit and make multiple holes in this thing through the exhaust tip. It makes a good difference in power. Warning it makes it louder, but it really sounds mean!!!

Wheels and tires.
I did a lot of research on paddles and their weights and performance. The AMS Aerospeed works very well, they are light, cheap, and so far seem to hold up very well. On the front I put AMS Blacktails again, they work well, are light, and cheap.

I know that everyone will say BUY SKAT-TRACK, but i am cheap, and they cannot make that much difference on a 90.....

For the wheels I went with Douglas Alum. The offset is perfect as it adds about 2" each side in width, and they are very light.

Performance that I see.
I really like the way this quad runs and sounds. It has plenty of powre for my 6 year old, but not so much that it scares him. It could use a better suspension, but lets be honest most of us grew up riding Honda 70's.....and our junk still works just fine. It will climb smaller dunes, but it still has more power than he has guts...so. I think this is a great quad for the koid to learn to ride better, and control his speed and balance. His next bike will be a DRZ 90+ simply because he has another brother that will want to ride his in the next 1-2 years. And at that point he will want more power, but not necessarily be ready for more size.

Thanks,

LT80
03-19-2009, 05:20 PM
Welcome to the forums. :)

Good thread. Thanks for sharing.

burkcs
12-21-2009, 03:39 PM
What Douglas rims did you find that fit the z90? Part #?

POWERTRIPUTAH
12-22-2009, 12:20 PM
It has been so long now I don't remember, but if you call DWT direct they had the info for me. I bought mine from Recreation tire in Utah.

BTW these bikes are bullet proof. I just bought another one for my second Son.

Merry Christmas.

burkcs
12-30-2009, 11:15 PM
Did you pull the baffle out of the exhaust or just drill holes in it. I removed the two screws but the baffle appears to be fused to the muffler. I can't get the thing out.

POWERTRIPUTAH
12-31-2009, 10:44 PM
yes, pulled out the spark arrestor, and drilled holes in the internal baffle.

you need a longer bit, say 10 inches. i drilled five 3/8" holes.

Vampire2800
02-16-2010, 09:20 PM
I read your post. Great write up. Here's my problem, though. My son is 8 & I bought him a 2007 z90 last summer. I flipped the tires around to make it a little more stable. I also removed the little silver slip-ring in the clutch. It went from 15mph - 38mph. Here's my situation.......He has more "cahonas" than he needs. He wants to go faster ALL THE TIME! Without buying a larger quad for him, what are some other suggestions? I've search high & low on the internet, but info related to z90's is few & far between. We do alot of trail riding. Our trails are wide open with some medium jumps. To paint you a picture, I have a heavily modded Yamaha YFZ450R & can run our trails in 3rd & 4th gear WIDE OPEN. He just wants to be able to do a better job of keeping up. Thanks in advance.

P.S.-I heard that there is a cdi that will increase the rpm range to 11,000 from the stock 8,500. Is this true?

Also, how much more power will he get from a new pipe or the pipe mod stated in the original post? Is it really worth it?

airmobile101
02-16-2010, 10:22 PM
If its going 38mph, then maybe its time to step him up to a 125cc quad.

burkcs
02-17-2010, 05:43 AM
Originally posted by Vampire2800
I read your post. Great write up. Here's my problem, though. My son is 8 & I bought him a 2007 z90 last summer. I flipped the tires around to make it a little more stable. I also removed the little silver slip-ring in the clutch. It went from 15mph - 38mph. Here's my situation.......He has more "cahonas" than he needs. He wants to go faster ALL THE TIME! Without buying a larger quad for him, what are some other suggestions? I've search high & low on the internet, but info related to z90's is few & far between. We do alot of trail riding. Our trails are wide open with some medium jumps. To paint you a picture, I have a heavily modded Yamaha YFZ450R & can run our trails in 3rd & 4th gear WIDE OPEN. He just wants to be able to do a better job of keeping up. Thanks in advance.

P.S.-I heard that there is a cdi that will increase the rpm range to 11,000 from the stock 8,500. Is this true?

Also, how much more power will he get from a new pipe or the pipe mod stated in the original post? Is it really worth it?

I would like to know how he is going 38mph. We have the same bike with the restrictor removed and are lucky to see 25-28mph. The only mod on our bike is I opened the airbox up with a couple 1" holes.

Vampire2800
02-17-2010, 07:28 AM
His bike didn't come with an airbox or air filter. The exhaust is also something that doesn't look stock. I went to Suzuki's website last night to play around & the pipe in the pictures is black. My son's pipe is chrome. There are no markings on it & it's pretty scratched up. We bought it in Owensboro, KY last summer. Like I said, it's an '07 so if the original owner messed with some of the guts, I wouldn't know it. I can never keep up with all these things. We have 5 different atv's, 5 different brands too. That's all. I personally haven't done anything except the slip-ring thing.

With regards to the 125cc, is that a shifter or an automatic? Who makes a 125cc quad?

Thanks

airmobile101
02-17-2010, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by Vampire2800
His bike didn't come with an airbox or air filter. The exhaust is also something that doesn't look stock. I went to Suzuki's website last night to play around & the pipe in the pictures is black. My son's pipe is chrome. There are no markings on it & it's pretty scratched up. We bought it in Owensboro, KY last summer. Like I said, it's an '07 so if the original owner messed with some of the guts, I wouldn't know it. I can never keep up with all these things. We have 5 different atv's, 5 different brands too. That's all. I personally haven't done anything except the slip-ring thing.

With regards to the 125cc, is that a shifter or an automatic? Who makes a 125cc quad?
You could slap a 125cc big bore on a Honda TRX90. Thats a semi-shifter. I know Xtreme makes that 125cc Typhoon. Or I guess you could bore out that Suzuki...........

Thanks

airmobile101
02-17-2010, 01:52 PM
Oh, DYNATEK makes the cdi, They would have all the info. if you give them a call.