PDA

View Full Version : bolt and tapp questions

justin1022
03-18-2009, 10:23 PM
hey guys i striped and broke off a bolt were the oil filter cap goes on one bolt is stuck in and the other i got out but the threads in the casing is messed i have a tap set but am far to confused on what tap to use to rethread. also i tryed drilling a hole in that bolt to ezze it out and it dodnt work so well i was wondering if any of you guys have any tips on ho to get the rest of that bolt out and what tap to use?

thanks in advance.

sc400ex_rider
03-19-2009, 12:20 PM
to find the right tap you can hold the bolt up to the light and put the tap threads to threads. if it all fits in the grooves your good. if it dont match up try another. if the threads are too messed up pull a bolt out of the clutch cover there the same diameter and thread pitch. also a lot of tap sets have a little thread pitch gauge. you might want to buy the new bolts from honda that way you get the right length they cant be more than 5 bucks. on the side cover you might be f'ed your going to catch hell getting that bolt out. i would take the whole side cover off and take it to a machine shop. they can get it out and also retap it to the next size up. or get a side cover off ebay. its a good idea to antisieze all the bolt threads when you put something back together and dont over tighten. i think the torque spec on those is like 8 ft lbs which is just snug. sry bud good luck.

jcs003
03-19-2009, 01:10 PM
it should be easy to fix yourself if you are confident with tapping screw threads.

1. if you got the ability file the screw flush with the case.

2. ceter pucch the center if the broken screw.

3. get a #0 center drill and drill to start if taper.

4. use a drill that is 1/3 the diameter if the screw and drill to needed depth.

5. establish drill size(letter or number) that coorespondends to the thread pitch you need then go one size smaller.

6. drill to depth.

7. with tapping fluid or cutting oil retap with needed thread tap.

8. blow out chips with compressed air.

if this ends up off center you will have to go to a larger diameter screw and will need a machinist to reestablish the center of the screw.

but like sc-400ex said, if you do not have the ability take it to a machinist.

justin1022
03-19-2009, 10:10 PM
ok thanks. well the one thats broken off is in to far its not level with the casing its more in and the other one is messed up. i found a tapp that says .08 i was wondering you no how that one is really long can i just tapp it to be a short screw? and tha one thats stuck in i will try and center pnuch then drill tommorrrw.

sc400ex_rider
03-20-2009, 04:43 AM
ya i think i have heard of people putting bigger short screws in. if so you just have to drill out about 1" of the screw that is broke off flush. i would highly recommend you take the cover off unless you think more screws will strip cause it going to be hard to keep the drill level when your all bent over and the bit is going to walk off the shank. unless you center punch it drill a little, center punch it drill a little, and on and on till you drilled out enough to tap it.

justin1022
03-20-2009, 07:02 AM
ya im going to have to try center punching it i really dont want to take it off becaise i just got done putting it all bac ktogether for a build and to get it off i would have to take my nerfs off and dop oil again.