PDA

View Full Version : lights!

woodsracer144
03-18-2009, 09:13 PM
i have a trimmed up harness and i want to have head lights for night races... can i just get a uncut 88 89 harness and re do the stator or what do i do?

Langbolt
03-18-2009, 09:38 PM
Depends how badly it's trimmed up!

Does it have the handle bar switch with the HEADLIGHT plug ?

You won't have to touch the stator if all 4 wires coming out are connected to the harness.

If you get another harness.....make sure you get the one that matches your stator connectors.

'86-88 have 2 black bullet connectors (2 wires) & 1 duplex plug (2 wires)

'89 has 2 duplex plugs (2 wires on each = 4 total)

:devil:

Here's a pic of an '86-'88 harness

wilkin250r
03-19-2009, 02:41 AM
It all boils down to a gigantic "it depends". It depends how far they went, how bad it's cut, where it's cut, it depends what other components they took off.

Some people remove the entire headlight/kill switch, some remove the entire voltage regulator and clip the headlight wire all the way back to the stator, and also remove the headlight plug and all associated wiring. If the previous owner did all these things, those components would need to be replaced.

deathman53
03-19-2009, 12:32 PM
I don't get why people strip the harness. If you remove the headlight switch(unplugs), you remove everything with the headlights, atc's had the headlight socket in the main harness. Then you have the key switch(87-89) and you use that for the tether cord/kill switch, last you have the wire to the tail light, wrap that up and shove it in the airbox. The only thing left you have left in the voltage regulator and thats in a hidden spot. If you ever need lights again, put back on the headlight switch and your done, if tail light, remove the wire from the airbox. Simple and doesn't make it expense to use the use the lights for you or the next guy. If you have a cr system, moto plant or msd, lights are out of the question. It could get expensive if the guy removed the voltage regulator, all wiring and you need to buy a new harness, switch, regulator, regulator boot and some clip the wire right on the stator that powers the light(then new stator). 1/4 pound isn't gonna make a difference in weight to make a difference.

86 Quad R
03-19-2009, 01:36 PM
i'm with you deathman........... i have seen more hacked up harnesses that i care to remember. it's pathetic to say the least. :grr:

woodsracer144
03-19-2009, 06:34 PM
shes cut way down... i dont have any lights at the moment but i would like some... on the CDI think i have 2 plug ins not just the one and then on the stator i think i have box plugs as well..