PDA

View Full Version : key ignition on an 86 R

hipnotoad
03-18-2009, 07:57 PM
I bought my R last year and it didn't come with a key. Instead it has a tethered kill switch similar to those you see on jetski's. I thought I read somewhere that 86's didn't have keyed ignitions in the first place, but when I go looking at OEM parts, I see they were avaliable. I need to hear what you guys have to say on the matter. Was there once a key on my R? Is this tethered switch an add-on? What would it take to put a keyed ignition back on? I've just wondered this for a while so I figured I would finally find out for sure. Thanks.

Honda 250r 001
03-18-2009, 08:06 PM
no 250rs had keys. only a button.

bluetrx
03-18-2009, 08:06 PM
the tether switch is an add-on. i dont know anything about stock key switches, but any keyed switch would be simple to wire up, mounting would be the only obstacle but not if theres one built to fit. where does the stock one mount? alot of the guys i ride with just mount a toggle switch somewhere inconspicuous as a theft deterrent.

addictedtomud
03-18-2009, 08:10 PM
The 86 had no key from the factory
The 87 had a key with narrow, solid black plastic "dash"
The 88-89 had a key with a wider "dash" that included warning labels

hipnotoad
03-18-2009, 08:10 PM
I didn't think they had keys either. I was just confuzed when I saw them listed with the OEM parts in the microfiche or whatever. So the only thing the 86 had was the killswitch as far as ON/OFF capabilities? I wonder if I could wire in one from a later year where the tethered switch attaches...

deathman53
03-18-2009, 08:20 PM
I know they had keys stock on them, I have a 88/89 dash somewhere. Also, 87 atc250r/350x(the few that extinct), 87 atc200x, 87 atc250sx, 87 tecate 3, 87/88 tecate 4, and maybe quadracer 250/500's had them. Many probably don't anymore. They got removed and a tether put in place of them. I have a 89 harness and it has two plugs for the key switch. I have a 87 200x harness, it has the 2 plugs for the key switch also. Honda discontinued the key switches for the r's and atc's, however key switches for crf50's are nearly identical. The key switch is a normally closed switch, when you put the key in and turn it to the "on" position, now it open. They make tether cords that are normally closed or open. If you get a normally closed tether, yes, it will function the same as the key switch and would interchange.

Langbolt
03-18-2009, 08:51 PM
Yeah....I never understood the purpose of the Keyed Ignition with a closed switch ?

If you lost your key....or if someone wanted to take your R for a ride.....all they had to do was unplug the two wires going to the key switch and Giv'r a KICK!!

:confused:

All250R
03-18-2009, 10:17 PM
Originally posted by Honda 250r 001
no 250rs had keys. only a button.
This is backward. No 250R's had a button (like a motorcycle anyway) - none.

87-89 had keys and wiring to plug them into. If you want a key (which I think they're handy on camping trips), I imagine you can get a newer wiring harness and associated key and attach to your system.

mfr422
03-18-2009, 11:01 PM
You can easily wire in a keyed switch, just add it inline with your tether wires, but like deathman said, make sure you have one that is normally "closed". R''s use a ground to kill the ignition, atv's with batteries do it the opposite.

deathman53
03-19-2009, 11:23 AM
I use key switches on my atv's and dual sport bikes. Its more of a deterant to steal. If you put a keyed ignition(or maybe even remove the tether cord), the theif would try to kick or e-start it. They would try several times before being noticed. Then either they will give up and walk away, or the determined guy will search for the connectors/device and how to by-pass it. If you have a disc lock, that just makes it even hard(another hurdle to go over) and if they guy gets beyond both, its sure to be noticed. T

he guy that wants your bike will have it no matter what, if they see a disc lock, key switch/tether cord not installed or other wheel/igntion locks, they will drive up to it with a truck, lift the un-locked part up, strap it down and drive away. A few miles down the road, they will try to defeat your locks/ignition locks. A motorcycle(dirtbike) 2 guys will lift it, put it in a truck/van and go, 1 minute max. A co-worker wanted to ride my dirtbike, I just had the key out, I told him "go head". I forgot about the key, I heard the starter and him then trying to kick it. It was enough to get everybody's attention. If you can't get a stock key switch or a place to mount it, there are several options for key switches, a simple toggle(non-keyed) under the fenders, in airbox or somewhere hidden. It will get wired between the hot and ground terminal of the coil, Baja designs and http://www.sicassracing.com/cgi-bin/shoppingcart/agora.cgi?cart_id=4823907.25439&p_id=21-213&product=Switches&xm=on&ppinc=search2, as well as others sell similar stuff.

hipnotoad
03-19-2009, 07:22 PM
Anyone have an old key ignition lying around they want to sell?