PDA

View Full Version : Sprocket help

Dtrap
03-18-2009, 07:09 PM
Hey guys was out ridding this weekend and broke off 3 of the teeth on my front sprocket. I have an 87 and need a new sprocket for the front now. What are the sprockets you like and is there a site on line I can order it from? Does any one have a part number to make it easier and so I know it will fit for sure? It was a 13 tooth but I think I would like to go to a 14 since I do alot of woods ridding. Should I buy a new rear one while Im at it? If I go to the 14 tooth instead of the 13 will I need to adjust the chain to make it fit? Also what gearing do you guys reccomend for mostly tight trail ridding? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Dustin

bluetrx
03-18-2009, 07:58 PM
http://www.rockymountainatv.com/productDetail.do#vehicleSelect

the above link is for a front sprocket for 8.99 you will notice the picture shows 22 splines while your output shaft has only 6, im sure this is just a generic photo and the correct part would be sent if you order it. if theres a local shop you can go to they might have one in stock. thats what i would probably do. id just rather 14 or 16 bucks for one in my hand, than 9 plus shipping for one in 6 to 10 days.

you will need to adjust you chain for the bigger front sprocket but only a small ammount. i change my chain and sprockets as needed usually not all at once. look for rolled teeth on your rear sprocket, and chain bunching. there are those who argue that all should be replaced at once and its definately not a bad idea, just more expensive. the argument is that when you see rolled teeth on your rear sprocket (usually the first sign of wear) you will know that the chain and front sprocket have the same hrs on them and if you replace them all you are protecting yourself from being stranded or worse a damaged case half from a broken chain. if you only replace your front sprocket you will need to be sure to keep an eye the wear of your other drive components.

wilkin250r
03-19-2009, 02:52 AM
You might be headed for a world of headache, heartache, and wallet-ache. Let's take a second.

First things first, HOW did you break three teeth of your front sprocket?

I've seen worn chains break teeth of sprockets, and if that's the case with yours, you REALLY need to replace both sprockets and chain together as a set. How old is your current set?

jcs003
03-19-2009, 06:28 AM
the teeth would most likely break if the teeth have excessive wear and the chain tension is incorrect. i.e. not correctly adjusted.

as for sprockets i would suggest sidewinder/krause. i have always used them on my bikes and can only remember making one replacement.

05LSR250R
03-19-2009, 06:33 AM
I use Sunstar sprockets and a RK X-ring chain.

Do yourself and your quad a favor and buy the whole kit!

Magic Racing outta Michigan has like 4 different packages to fit anyones budget!

Dtrap
03-19-2009, 07:26 AM
Thanks for the advice guys and yes I think the whole set is old. I just bought the bike like 3 weeks ago and didnt look at the sprockets. I belive at least one or two of the teeth were already broke by the way they look compared to the one that is fresh broke. I think I will just replace everything as a group. What gearing do you guys reccomend for mostly tighter trail riding.

05LSR250R
03-19-2009, 07:53 AM
I run 13/39 and 20" rear tires. I do mostly woods riding.
However, its a good all around gearing for me.

jcs003
03-19-2009, 08:52 AM
my ratio is 13/40 with 19" rears. but i also run an amp link so i feel i get better traction than without it.

86 Quad R
03-19-2009, 09:24 AM
as mentioned i would replace all of the components at once. i too use sunstar brand sprockets but use the non o-ring DID chain without any issues. as for gearing. i personally like the 14/40 for woods type riding. if the engine is built strong and has the hp, a 14/38 gearing is good with 20" tires.

swamprat250r
03-19-2009, 10:02 AM
i use to use a 15 tooth up front for road riding doesnt do that great in the woods so switched back to the 13. the stock gearing on the 250 is a good all around ratio. if you want top end speed you raise the front or lower the back. if you want bottom end you do the oppisite. just remember going up one tooth in the front is like going down two in the rear.
keep it stock and youll do fine.

wilkin250r
03-19-2009, 02:03 PM
If your set is old, you always want to replace them as a complete set, because an old chain will ruin a new sprocket really quickly, or worse, your chain will break.

But if your set is new, you can swap individual components without problems before they have a chance to really wear into each other.

I'd start with the stock ratio, and switch from there. Front sprockets are cheap.