PDA

View Full Version : Opinion about front suspension

sly400ex
11-16-2001, 10:44 AM
This past weekend I rode on a little mx track for the first time. I came down on a table top on my right front wheel. I knew I hit pretty hard, but I didn't realize I bent my shock until I got home. Now here is my dilema, keep in my I am not the most wealthy person on this board either, I need to know if I should just replace the bent shock or get some aftermarkets. I was thinking the works triple rates, but there are so many others! (Brands) I would really like to stick around the $500 range though. I mostly ride at local places, woods, little jumps here and there. I would like to start racing MX next year though. Jumping doubles in the 30ft range. I weigh 200lbs. now, but plan on getting down to 180-185 by next season. (Hopefully =) ) I am very leary to buy stock because of what just happened, unless they are really cheap priced for now. No matter what, I want nice suspension next summer though. It's just a matter of the $$$ now. So what would you guys do? Are the works a lot stronger than stock? What are some of the best prices? Triple rates? How do you guys like the works? And, what is the price to replace my stock shock? Sorry so long and so many questions, but thanks for the help!!!!

11-16-2001, 10:51 AM
Well I'm the same wieght as you and my works triple rates ( $500 range ) work great,,,the difference over stock is night and day,,,they will work perfect for you and meet your price range. I beleive stock shock replacement is like $130 don't do that get some aftermarket ones,,,you'll be sooooo happy you did.

trx400ex
11-16-2001, 10:52 AM
some people dont like works, but for the best bang for your buck triplerates with rezzys are for you, marcums will hook you up for less than 450 with free shipping!

dont buy stock, if you buy new stock it is 200 per shock, thats what my buddy did, broke one, bough a new one and then broke the othe, he ended up going with works,

rezzys make a big diffrence get them if you can, you said your in the 500 range so your ok.

if someone says "well it only 200 more for elkas" then you have to work off that and say its only another 20 for axis, or whatever..

anyway get the valved up heavier than you are, even if you expect to loose wieght id go for 210 or so,and valved for mx

trx400ex
11-16-2001, 10:54 AM
and you should get preload adjustment on them (will make it 500 even), that way if you do lose weight you can soften them without having to get them rebuilt,,,,,but its better that they are a little stiff than too soft

sly400ex
11-16-2001, 12:23 PM
Hey-

Thanks a lot guys, I just needed the little extra push from you guys to make me buy the Works. I will go with the setup, I respect both of you guys very much for the insightful info you have given me and others in previous posts. Keep up the great work! Hope you're feeling better Rico!!

Mitch400EX
11-16-2001, 12:31 PM
I would definately get aftermarket shocks. I did have works tripple rates w/o rezzies, and that was a mistake (not getting rezzies). I jumped the crap out of them and one day one of the fronts bent almmost 90 degrees and tore the mount off the A-arm. However, I don't think that this is the fault of Works Performance. I had a season of racing combined with some pretty crazy play riding. Needless to say the shocks got pretty hot. I could tell throughout a race how the performance of the shock got worse toward the final lap. I bottomed them pretty hard numerous times. Now if I had rezzies to help cool the shocks off, the shock may not have been stressed to the point where it bent. They probably also could've used a rebuild. If you get aftermarket shocks, GET REZZIES, Use shockwears, and inspect your shocks for leaks after every ride. If you ride a lot and notice their performance starting to fade, it may be time for a rebuild!

Mitch
00 400EX, FMF Pipe, busted works shocks (not for long)