PDA

View Full Version : sprcoket mod?????

rideronthestorm
03-18-2009, 01:30 PM
I just bought a stage 1 power kit from mods3 for my 03 400ex, with it came a front sprocket 13 t, If I install the front, do I need to change the size of the rear, and if so what size in the rear would work best with the 13 t in front??? I'm fairly new to riding and basicly trying to find out what the best setup is for my quad... evreything is strock so far, except the stage 1 kit, and I just ordered a sparks timing key; thanks to everyone on here posting info...

thnks for the advice, like I said, this is all new to me, so I would have no clue if it wasn't for this site...

crxjarred
03-18-2009, 02:45 PM
not u wont have to change the rear but will have to adjust chain and chaing to a 13 tooth u will loose top end but be quicker more snapy

rideronthestorm
03-18-2009, 06:04 PM
thanks bro...

sprayedgt
03-18-2009, 06:22 PM
You'll love the Sparks key. That in conjunction with the 13t sprocket and it'll wheelie like crazy. Best 2 mods for the money I did to my 400ex.

honda400ex2003
03-19-2009, 01:10 AM
I cant even imagine the low end it would have with a 13 on it. I put my 14 on from the 15 and it made a huge difference. I run the 14 with my mud sharks 21". It ripped even with those. I only rode it alittle with the 14 on with the razrs 20" I was always shifting. Now with my 416 I was thinking about putting the 16 I have on to try it out. Nice addition with the key and the 13. It will take off like it is going to the moon. good Luck Steve

dave4881
03-19-2009, 08:24 PM
Mine is an 05 and I run a 13T front and 39T rear. You really have to hold on to the bars when you hit the throtle and climbs hills like crazy. I ride dunes and desert with some serious hills and it seems to be the best setup for me.

dirtmerchant42
03-19-2009, 10:27 PM
only changing that one sprocket will cause it to wear down really fast by already having a worn chain and back sprocket

crxjarred
03-20-2009, 05:49 AM
i changed the sprocket on 2 of my 4 wheelers before and never had a problem with quick wearing on the sprocket

uchi
04-20-2009, 08:55 PM
this is my next mod along with the 450r carb. wheres the best place to get the sprocket? i have a local motorcycle place that buddies of mine deal with. if i go in and just ask for a new sprocket will they be able to get me one or do i need a part number or whats the best bet? also if i only change the front sprocket do i have to pull a link out of the chain? or is there enough adjustment to compensate?

also whats this sparks key you guys are talking about?

honda400ex2003
04-20-2009, 09:01 PM
you could get it there, rockymountainatv, denniskirk, magicracing, c and d, pretty much any atv store should be able to get one. i run renthal but sunstars are good for the price. you should not have to take a link out as long as the chain is in good shape if it is almost maxed out i would get a new one. the sparks key advances the timing 6 degrees. steve

Newrider08
04-20-2009, 09:06 PM
ebay is usually your friend for things for your quad, I bought a 14 tooth for like 16 bucks shipped and he has 13 tooth for the same price

uchi
04-20-2009, 09:12 PM
thanks for the info guys. gonna try ebay. i just looked into the sparks key and their site wont let me setup a canadian address. so i emailed them, hopefully they can ship it over. if not maybe ill get lucky on ebay :D

thanks again

uchi
04-20-2009, 09:22 PM
new rider do you have the name to the guy who had the cheap sprocket? everyone im finding there is asking like 20 dollars for shipping. a little outrageous

04-20-2009, 09:23 PM
they sell the sparks key on ebay.

But its $5 more expensive

uchi
04-20-2009, 09:24 PM
i saw that aswell, waiting to see what they want for shipping. if its free its mine, if not then hopefully sparks get back to me, and if not then ill visit my local shop tomorrow :D

Newrider08
04-20-2009, 09:32 PM
sure, his name on ebay is

sledpartsguy

and he had great products and fast shipping, I think I got it in like 3 or 4 days

here is the actual sprocket I bought

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=350189121661&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT&viewitem=

uchi
04-20-2009, 09:36 PM
great stuff thanks alot :D

im gonna go for a 13 tooth i think. as nice as it is to a have a nice top end ill sacrifice some speed just to get there faster :D

btw whats the top speed on a stock geared 400?

uchi
04-20-2009, 09:39 PM
done, love the prices, under 20 bucks u.s shipped to me whereas everyone else wanted like 40. thanks again for the link

Newrider08
04-20-2009, 09:53 PM
no problem, let us know how you like it

uchi
04-20-2009, 10:13 PM
another unrelated topic, how hard is it to change the cam in these things? id love to upgrade mine. i wanna turbo it this year but im having a hard time finding a fuel system for it and ill have to go to fuel injection for sure. so in the meantime id like to squeeze what power i can from the old girl :D

im sure im gonna love it. as it is the atv will pull the wheels on pavement hitting second gear with me everytime and im a big boy :D

honda400ex2003
04-20-2009, 11:07 PM
to put a cam in, put the motor at tdc and take the head cover off. unbolt the top colt on the cam and rotate the motor so the cam is 180 degrees and take out the other one. take out the plunger and the spring under the main cam part on the sprocket side. then put the hotcam in and repeat. make sure your valves are adjusted to spec and you are good to go. steve

04-21-2009, 10:23 AM
Not to hijack this thread or anything, but if I were to go with 22" tires in the rear, what should I re-gear to (in the front sprocket)? I want it to have a little more low end than stock.

04-21-2009, 10:49 AM
Originally posted by 0101
Not to hijack this thread or anything, but if I were to go with 22" tires in the rear, what should I re-gear to (in the front sprocket)? I want it to have a little more low end than stock.

Throw a 13t on the front...

uchi
04-23-2009, 09:26 PM
cam swap seems simple enough. approximatly how long should it take? and is there anythign else that should be done along with it besides what you mentioned? maybe a supporting mod?

i ordered a 13t sprocket the other night and a sparks key today. i think if i buy a cam thatll give me some top end go and get a rev box for another 1000 rpm i should be pretty good :D

looks like my mustang is gonna be sitting on the back burner this year. i was planning on boosting it but now the damn atv bug bit me and my new place is right by trails, so it looks like this year the car sits in the garage and gets worked on with what i have while the new money pit is the atv. lol.

04-23-2009, 10:10 PM
Originally posted by uchi
cam swap seems simple enough. approximatly how long should it take? and is there anythign else that should be done along with it besides what you mentioned? maybe a supporting mod?

i ordered a 13t sprocket the other night and a sparks key today. i think if i buy a cam thatll give me some top end go and get a rev box for another 1000 rpm i should be pretty good :D

looks like my mustang is gonna be sitting on the back burner this year. i was planning on boosting it but now the damn atv bug bit me and my new place is right by trails, so it looks like this year the car sits in the garage and gets worked on with what i have while the new money pit is the atv. lol.

The stage 2 hotcam should be put in along with a high compression piston.

I would recommend a stage 1 hotcam. Seems to be the best all around hotcam, but it mainly used for low end.

Stage 3 is more for top end from what i hear, but... it seems like they arent as popular.

You might also want to look into suspension.

uchi
04-24-2009, 05:18 AM
suspension is on my list. id like to get a nice balance of things. the sprocket will be great for acceleration so having a cam that might cost me a bit of torque shouldnt be a big deal. how high can the stock valvetrain rev on these motors?

scuzz
04-29-2009, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by uchi
new rider do you have the name to the guy who had the cheap sprocket? everyone im finding there is asking like 20 dollars for shipping. a little outrageous

Yeah that shipping amount is crazy high.

uchi
04-29-2009, 02:30 PM
sprocket came in today. shipping was very fast and no duty had to be paid. im extremely excited about this :D goes on this weekend and then a test drive. hope i dont flip over, lol. i got the 13t. :D

the nice thing is the sprocket shipped was cheaper than everyone wanted just for shipping. the only thing i got hosed on is the sparks key. i ended up paying 20 for shipping and if that doesnt arrive this week then the guy i got it from gets negative feedback through ebay. for 20 bucks on a part that small i expect it in a couple days. hell shipping was around 3 dollars for this and it took like a week to get to me.

anyways, real excited, just wanted to share :D