PDA

View Full Version : '07 outlaw 90 air filter upgrade

ErikR
03-18-2009, 08:27 AM
Would replacing the stock air filter with a drop-in uni filter along with cutting holes in the airbox lid do much good performance wise, or is it necessary to upgrade to one of the cylindrical filters that bolt directly to the carb and leave off the airbox lid entirely? It seems like you would get similar results unless you remove the airbox entirely or drill holes in the sides also, with the drop in filter being cheaper and simpler. Either way I am going to use a uni filter because we ride in far too dusty conditions to go with a K&N filter.

jetta75
03-26-2009, 10:00 PM
Yes a drop in with holes will get more air in there and with jetting usually adds a little. A clamp on the carb will give the most. I am going to put a clamp on in the airbox . Going to get an aluminum tube to clamp into the airbox tube, then clamp the filter to the aluminum tube. Also going to put as many of the one inch uni filter vents I can fit in the lid and 2 in the back of the box. This is the only way you could run no lid since the drop in filter is held in by the lid. My son likes to run through mud/water so can't do a clamp on on the carb or no lid.

sparks1032
05-31-2009, 09:15 AM
sent you a pm regarding this! Has anyone else had success with modifications on air box? I need something that will hold up in mud and water!

jjd223
06-09-2009, 05:30 PM
Sparks,
I have removed the airbox and we run a uni filter and a K&N outerwears

sparks1032
06-10-2009, 07:19 AM
I'm not sure I want to run without a air box because we cross streams quite often. I am glad others have had to address the issue but cannot believe it is this hard to figure something out....

jjd223
06-10-2009, 01:30 PM
We run MX, so the streams are few and far between!! Only after a big rain do we encounter very wet conditions or standing water and they dont compare to crossing a stream.

Joe